The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Eagles looking the real deal. Don't like to hype too early but wentz is doing so much right.
Reply 2501
That Spencer Ware touchback is one of the worst replay review calls I have ever seen. How on earth is that a touchback? He's got a hand on the ball when he hits the pylon. Some fantasy outlets now have Ware with -51 rushing yards post 'fumble.' NFL officials are as bad as the Jaguars and 49ers.

Also, Aguayo is terrible.

And what the F is with Philadelphia. Chip Kelly is not even a real NFL coach. Carson Wentz is playing the NFL with the same production as he did the FCS. Are limitless pills real? Philadelphia are ruining a lot of peoples Superbowl pick. Would feel like an alternate reality but the Browns and Jags are still horrible so it must be legit. @EvilMikeTomlin only has this to say: "We're getting beat so badly that I thought we were married to Chris Brown." LEVELS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy

Also, Aguayo is terrible.

Plz dont.
Reply 2503
Original post by ..DT..
Plz dont.

I'll trade you Gus Bradley for him? Both are inexplicably incapable of achieving consistency.
Original post by Wattsy
I'll trade you Gus Bradley for him? Both are inexplicably incapable of achieving consistency.

Eurgh, i have no words. How we are losing this game I will never know.
Reply 2505
I don't know either. Case Keenum is the least effective starting QB in the league not named Blaine Gabbert. I'd quite like a Mike Evans TD here in the RedZone. Oh Christ. I didn't want that.

Marcus Peters is all world at being in the right place at the right time. That guy is a pick machine.
(edited 7 years ago)
I need Indy to win for £100
Original post by Wattsy
I don't know either. Case Keenum is the least effective starting QB in the league not named Blaine Gabbert. I'd quite like a Mike Evans TD here in the RedZone. Oh Christ. I didn't want that.

I think I'm gonna cry. We just kill ourselves, over and over and over and over and over and over again. Stupid turn overs. Penalties. Missed kicks. Missed tackles. The lot
Reply 2508
Original post by ..DT..
I think I'm gonna cry. We just kill ourselves, over and over and over and over and over and over again. Stupid turn overs. Penalties. Missed kicks. Missed tackles. The lot

The Jags are also guilty of this and it is the single most frustrating trait in a sports team. Bad teams stay bad because they can't help themselves. I feel like that is the only thing holding the Bucs and Jags back. There's no talent deficit on either team now. That 'tackle' made my eyes bleed. I'd be losing my **** as well as my fantasy matchup if I was a Bucs fan.

TD, weather warning. You have a chance here DT.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2509
Josh Gordon stops pursuing return to the NFL in order to enter rehabilitation full time. Such a talented guy, I hope he gets sorted out.
Original post by Wattsy
Josh Gordon stops pursuing return to the NFL in order to enter rehabilitation full time. Such a talented guy, I hope he gets sorted out.

I love the conspiracy theories on reddit that are already forming, that he isn't going to fail a drugs test, but has faked it to get cut by the Browns, who turned down offers to trade him at the beginning of the season. Then once he is cut, he will come out of rehab, pass a drugs test and immediately start playing for a top contender team
Reply 2511
Original post by Monkey_Pete
I love the conspiracy theories on reddit that are already forming, that he isn't going to fail a drugs test, but has faked it to get cut by the Browns, who turned down offers to trade him at the beginning of the season. Then once he is cut, he will come out of rehab, pass a drugs test and immediately start playing for a top contender team

Seems highly cynical and calculated for someone who's shown great difficulty in controlling his own life on multiple occasions.
I have to say I don't really understand the Josh Gordon situation at all. He obviously had problems in college and then in his early NFL career, but then I thought he was treated pretty harshly. He got banned for an amount of marijuana that was so low that he could have passed the FBI's drug test, just not the NFL's then he had to stay off all substances including alcohol for one season, which he succeeded in doing (in other words he was tee-total for longer than virtually any of the fat sportswriters who make fun of him have ever been - Peter King even has a beer section in his BS column), but he failed on a technicality because it the term was for the league year, not the Browns' season. Then he passes whatever drug tests he needed to finally get reinstated which must be virtually impossible if you're addicted to substances. This was also the time he was partying with Manziel and suggests he was clean at that time. Also at some point during the above he was sent to rehab but then discharged because the doctors said he wasn't addicted to anything. Now he's decided to check himself in, and it almost certainly has something to do with this child that is his.

I don't usually buy conspiracy theories, but I also don't buy this idea that Gordon is an out of control addict because if you look at the detail, he's no more an addict than most adults you meet (who have also never been asked to go tee total for 17 weeks). So I'm kind of baffled by the whole thing. I'd love to see him play this year.
Reply 2513
It's Wembley Day! An absolute sporting buffet on offer this Sunday so I hope Wembley is an entertaining affair. A Jags win would be good too but I've suspended optimism and hopefully by default, disappointment until further notice.

Although that was a great RedZone play call. Maybe the winds are changing in Duval County? Still an unbelievable amount of penalties though. Bad discipline reflects bad coaching. Allen Robinson is feasting on this secondary though, it's penalties or catches on that guy. They'll probably play Yellow at half time because we've seen rather a lot of it.

The Jags never do it easy. I was nervous until the last play there. A scruffy ball game but at least it was a tight one at the finish.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh boy. The Falcons @ Broncos game is going to be the pick of next week's games.
I hope Touchdown Trevor is ready to go. As good as Paxton was against Tampa, it's painfully evident that he's not quite there just yet. The release is not quick enough...the footwork isn't slick enough and is sloppy, and he's not processing what the defense sees quickly, to the same extent as Trevor. He is the franchise QB of the future and has shown glimpses though...but, I don't want him to bthroen to the wolves too soon.

also as good as the Broncos' D has been,...it's also maddingly inconsistent as a unit. Too many sloppy penalties. Not good enouh against the run and too many busted coverages, from players who can obviously play better. Yet, they tighten it up, get to the quarterback, and shut down passing games all while carrying a weak rushing game and an essentially rookie QB. and they are so close to clicking, which shoukd only help things.

The Falcons' offfense is the best in the league right now, and there's no real weakness on it. The o-line is strong, they have a legitimate franchise QB, WR, and a triple threat rush attack in Devon'ta Freeman, Telvin Coleman and the best fullback in the league, Pat DiMarco. Matt Ryan is able to pass it around in a true pick your poison offense. Austin Hooper has contributed as a big playmaker. Even their defense has stepped up....bludgeoning the reigning NFC champs, generating a lot of pressure. The Broncos will need strong game on both sides of the ball.
Original post by Wattsy
The Jags are also guilty of this and it is the single most frustrating trait in a sports team. Bad teams stay bad because they can't help themselves. I feel like that is the only thing holding the Bucs and Jags back. There's no talent deficit on either team now. That 'tackle' made my eyes bleed. I'd be losing my **** as well as my fantasy matchup if I was a Bucs fan.

TD, weather warning. You have a chance here DT.

Given up hope of this team ever being good ffs
Did anyone else here make it to Wembley yesterday?*
Reply 2517
Original post by ..DT..
Given up hope of this team ever being good ffs

I ended up with 3 Bucs in fantasy so I feel a portion of your disappointment. The Jags tried to blow it in the 4th quarter but Josh Johnson who is really a special teamer came up with a game winning pass breakup saving the Jags from themselves. I really liked Jameis' play last season, this year we'll allow that he's had some tough matchups but he's not been up to snuff so far.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord

Not going Wembley...but I will be going to the Giants @ Rams game at Twickers.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord

Not going Wembley...but I will be going to the Giants @ Rams game at Twickers.

Quick Reply

Latest