The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2540
The Bungles are never winning a Super Bowl with Marvin Lewis. You're playing Dallas, a team without a shut down corner and AJ Green has 9 yards?*
What a mistake by the chargers

The holder dropped the ball on a game tying field goal
(edited 7 years ago)
Chargers fans just have to laugh really.*

Also I thought the game between us and the Giants would be an offensive shootout but really it wasn't. Eli seemed awful, constantly under throwing and also only seemed to be focusing on OBJ? :redface:*
Original post by Wattsy
The Bungles are never winning a Super Bowl with Marvin Lewis. You're playing Dallas, a team without a shut down corner and AJ Green has 9 yards?*

I'm a Bengals fan and I agree we won't be winning a Super Bowl anytime soon but its more to do with the quarterback being completely useless. Andy Dalton keeps getting chances because they make it to the playoffs but then he lets them down when it is important. They need to get rid of Dalton and use their back up quarter back AJ McCarron. Much better QB who has more experience of high stakes games as he went to a better college. The defence needs to seriously be improved as well. It could be worse though, at least they have managed to win a couple games. And if they are rubbish all season at least they will get a decent draft pick.

Terrible returner being tackled by the kicker
Reply 2546

I thought it was a women's game but then I read the article. Great tackle, use the sideline as a defender and wallop! Good to see in one of the only western sports that the female game is an absolute embarrassment to its male counterpart.
Original post by joecphillips
Terrible returner being tackled by the kicker

To be fair most kickers at levels below the NFL are pretty good athletes, not that I can speak for this girl. When I was researching some high school implementation schemes for rugby punts I found that a lot of coaches are getting their top athletes to punt, because they're better on a fake and they only need to kick bouncing line drives anyway. She took a great angle and had some help, so there wasn't really any way for the runner to cut. Maybe he is **** though.
Original post by Wattsy
I thought it was a women's game but then I read the article. Great tackle, use the sideline as a defender and wallop! Good to see in one of the only western sports that the female game is an absolute embarrassment to its male counterpart.

I've watched a little tape on some European international women's teams. I was pretty impressed, given the state of the European/British game in general.
Original post by SmashConcept
To be fair most kickers at levels below the NFL are pretty good athletes, not that I can speak for this girl. When I was researching some high school implementation schemes for rugby punts I found that a lot of coaches are getting their top athletes to punt, because they're better on a fake and they only need to kick bouncing line drives anyway. She took a great angle and had some help, so there wasn't really any way for the runner to cut. Maybe he is **** though.

It was a good tackle, I don't know much below the big college teams but when NFL punters and kickers do this https://youtu.be/zCYOQtPREO4 being tackled by one at any level isn't a good look
It was a good tackle, I don't know much below the big college teams but when NFL punters and kickers do this https://youtu.be/zCYOQtPREO4 being tackled by one at any level isn't a good look

I'm not an authority on this so don't quote me or anything, but I think there are a few pretty big differences:

NFL kickers kick further and their coverage teams run further, so playing safety behind that group there is more space. Returners are obviously really, really good in space.

In the NFL those kickers are better, and more valuable members of the team. Sounds stupid but if your kicker gets injured and you don't have a good backup on your active gameday roster (which you won't unless your punter is really good too), you are **** out of luck in a close game. So I wonder if some of the time they are actually told to protect themselves.

And the third reason, NFL returners are really, really ****ing good. Imagine being paid 5 mil to return kicks, that's some serious athleticism. I mean this guy Jakeem Grant can seriously run.

There's also this:

Reply 2551
Pat McAfee is such a funny guy, every time he has to talk in front of a camera, amazing things happen. Punter/kicker tackles are so great but for every McAfee moment of magic you get a Josh Scobee moment which could have ended his stay in the NFL so I can absolutely understand coaches protecting their kickers and kickers not being the most enthusiastic tacklers.
Original post by Wattsy
Pat McAfee is such a funny guy, every time he has to talk in front of a camera, amazing things happen. Punter/kicker tackles are so great but for every McAfee moment of magic you get a Josh Scobee moment which could have ended his stay in the NFL so I can absolutely understand coaches protecting their kickers and kickers not being the most enthusiastic tacklers.

It was fun listening to him on regent street on the Saturday before the colts game
How do we tag someone on here ? Trying to get Malevolent back in here for some reason he's ignoring the football thread!
Original post by TheLittlestElf
How do we tag someone on here ? Trying to get Malevolent back in here for some reason he's ignoring the football thread!

@Malevolent
Reply 2555
He was 15% of the posts in the last thread, an ever present in the discussion.
Original post by TheLittlestElf

Original post by Wattsy
He was 15% of the posts in the last thread, an ever present in the discussion.

Sorry guys but life hasn't been going great for me, I've been in a bad way mentally and as much as I love football its just not something I've been concerned about or focused on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2557
Original post by Malevolent
Sorry guys but recently life hasn't been going great for me and as much as I love football its just not something I've been concerned about or focused on.

Well I hope you get life back on track so you can enjoy football again, good luck with your situation.
Original post by Wattsy
Well I hope you get life back on track so you can enjoy football again, good luck with your situation.

Thank you I am trying. I'll leave with this though. I did manage to get the Patriots to win the Superbowl at 9/1. Stuck 50 pounds on it. Now their like 4/1 - 5/1 the best I can find.
Reply 2559
Well the Jags are Jagging on the road :frown: There are injuries to star players all over the place. This week has been terrible so far.

In footballing terms all that I want now is a news update that Gus Bradley is fired and Doug Marrone takes over in the interim. Forget Bortles too, he's incapable of protecting the ball. He's had no football sense or pocket awareness this year. I had way more fun every weekend when I was just watching because I liked the game.

And that is why I picked a team!!! Play the worst football ever for 3 quarters but turn it around in the 4th. Gus Bradley still sucks but winning ugly is infinitely better than losing ugly.

Chicago Twitter right now is basically me almost every week of Jags fanning. It's so much better when the shoe is on the other foot.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest