The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen Medical School 2017 entry for GRADUATES

Hey all, thought I'd make a thread as I haven't seen one around. What are your stats i.e. UKCAT score and degree.. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I am a grad (from many years ago) applying for med at Aberdeen (also Glasgow and Dundee). I have a 2.1 in a Master of Chemistry (MChem), a PGDIP in renewable energy and a slightly above average UKCAT of 647. So think I am borderline to make it to interview stage at all three.

What about yourself?
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Original post by Mulbkat84
Hey, I am a grad (from many years ago) applying for med at Aberdeen (also Glasgow and Dundee). I have a 2.1 in a Master of Chemistry (MChem), a PGDIP in renewable energy and a slightly above average UKCAT of 647. So think I am borderline to make it to interview stage at all three.

What about yourself?

Hey!

Have you received an acknowledgement from them by any chance?

I graduated with a 1st Class in Medical Science and a 723.3 UKCAT. I have also applied to Newcastle both UG and GEM, and then Barts and the London GEM.

Have you applied previously, or is this your first time?
Original post by Member1995
Hey!

Have you received an acknowledgement from them by any chance?

I graduated with a 1st Class in Medical Science and a 723.3 UKCAT. I have also applied to Newcastle both UG and GEM, and then Barts and the London GEM.

Have you applied previously, or is this your first time?

My husband sent me a pic of a letter today so I guess that was an acknowledgement of receipt of my application. I have not had an email from them yet though. Only Glasgow has sent me an email.

This is the first time for me applying - what about yourself?

Well done on your UKCAT score - I was fairly disappointed with mine but it could have been worse (was nowhere near ruthless enough in the timing). Dundee and Glasgow use it quite heavily so I think Aberdeen are likely to be my best chance for 2017 entry. However I am prepared that I might have to wait till 2018. And I have less pressure on me next year for the UKCAT as I will not be as busy as I have been this year. Also can save more money with that additional year.

Based on the stats you provided, I would say that you have a really good shot for next year. Do you have a preference?
Reply 4
I got and email, and a letter too was sent to my home address. I have received from all now, although NCL takes up two of my choices so I don't know whether I am to receive two emails?

Same here, but it's something I've been interested in for quite a while now.

Thank you so much! Not good enough for an easy sail in applying to all grad entries though! I had to settle on two and two to maximise my chances! Your UKCAT score is good for UG entries and its quite a way off the national average! How does Dundee and Glasgow's admissions process work? You never know! I wish you all the best. Let me know how you get on :smile:
Reply 5
Hey!
My UKCAT was slightly below average (very disappointing) and I'm applying as a graduate (2.1 in Law with a Masters in International Commercial law). I'm doing highers in chemistry and human biology this year to make up the required science elements!
I've already had a rejection from Edinburgh, I live and work in Aberdeen so Aberdeen is my first choice of medical school. I'm hoping all my work experience (I've been working in the care and support sector for years) helps my application.
Has anyone heard anything from Aberdeen yet, apart from the acknowledgement of receipt of application?
Reply 6
Original post by rchannah
Hey!
My UKCAT was slightly below average (very disappointing) and I'm applying as a graduate (2.1 in Law with a Masters in International Commercial law). I'm doing highers in chemistry and human biology this year to make up the required science elements!
I've already had a rejection from Edinburgh, I live and work in Aberdeen so Aberdeen is my first choice of medical school. I'm hoping all my work experience (I've been working in the care and support sector for years) helps my application.
Has anyone heard anything from Aberdeen yet, apart from the acknowledgement of receipt of application?

I haven't as of yet, I was stalking last years thread even last night ha! It seemed that they started giving out interviews around the 9th November, but I just want to know already! Do you know if we get a choice at the interview date and time?
Reply 7
I'm honestly not sure - I've heard that Glasgow won't rearrange interviews but I'm not sure about Aberdeen...
Where else have you applied to?
Reply 8
I'm honestly not sure - I've heard that Glasgow won't rearrange interviews but I'm not sure about Aberdeen...
Where else have you applied to?

Oh gosh, that scares me because I don't want an early interview!

**From the website**

"Candidates will be invited for interview by email and provided with details allowing them to book the most convenient slot available." Not sure if they allow you to choose a date though :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
....any graduates been invited for interviews yet? I know they have started sending out interviews to "local" applicants... I live 5 minutes from the campus, so I guess no interview for me :frown:
....any graduates been invited for interviews yet? I know they have started sending out interviews to "local" applicants... I live 5 minutes from the campus, so I guess no interview for me :frown:

What are your stats and ukcat?
Oh gosh, that scares me because I don't want an early interview!

**From the website**

"Candidates will be invited for interview by email and provided with details allowing them to book the most convenient slot available." Not sure if they allow you to choose a date though :/

I'm currently studying at UofG, and it's true that they don't usually allow a change of interview slot without good reason. Another friend of mine had an interview at Dundee on the date Glasgow had given her (they don't let you chose) and allowed her to do another date. It's up to their discretion.
Aberdeen let you pick a date out of 4(?) choices with 3 different time slots- morning, afternoon and evening (like 3-5) across the space of about a month and a half. It's first come first served though so best making it as soon as you receive the interview invitation!
Good luck🍀
Finally received an invitation. All 2016 dates have been taken but got one on Jan 16 2017. Graduate MChem 2.1, UKCAT 647 :-)
Got an interview. Predicted 2.1 life science 663.3 b1
Reply 14
Original post by Mulbkat84
Finally received an invitation. All 2016 dates have been taken but got one on Jan 16 2017. Graduate MChem 2.1, UKCAT 647 :-)

Original post by kgla24
Got an interview. Predicted 2.1 life science 663.3 b1

Congrats!! me too :smile:
Congrats!! me too :smile:

Yay! I've seen you on the Glasgow thread did you get an interview there too?
Reply 16
Original post by kgla24
Yay! I've seen you on the Glasgow thread did you get an interview there too?

No, wasn't me, I didn't apply there haha :colondollar: Where else did you apply besides Glasgow, and when is your interview?
No, wasn't me, I didn't apply there haha :colondollar: Where else did you apply besides Glasgow, and when is your interview?

Oh sorry! I must have got you mixed up with someone. I applied to Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen and Barts. Aberdeen interview is on 17th Jan I think...
How about you?
Apologies if anyone follows the main thread for 2017 entry to Aberdeen A100 as this is a repeat post.

Anyone have an idea of how the academic scoring is broken down for school leavers? I picked up for graduates that a predicted 2:1 is allocated 75 points, and a predicted first 80 points. Curious how this scoring compares to those applying direct from school. Cheers.

I made interview stage, but am curious to see how graduate scores for academic achievement compares to school leavers.

Good luck to everyone with their applications.
Reply 19
Original post by tripper94
Apologies if anyone follows the main thread for 2017 entry to Aberdeen A100 as this is a repeat post.

Anyone have an idea of how the academic scoring is broken down for school leavers? I picked up for graduates that a predicted 2:1 is allocated 75 points, and a predicted first 80 points. Curious how this scoring compares to those applying direct from school. Cheers.

I made interview stage, but am curious to see how graduate scores for academic achievement compares to school leavers.

Good luck to everyone with their applications.

Hey, sorry I'm unaware also, but would like to know!

Do you know;
- how many points are allocated for the UKCAT scores?
- what is the maximum out of, after interview and what is the cut off for an offer?

Sorry I couldn't answer your qs, but thanks in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending