The Student Room Group

Avoiding simple mistakes?

I keep messing up my maths work because I manage to make really simple mistakes that I notice straight away when I go over them but I somehow miss when I'm doing the equations? Silly things like multiplying or dividing or even adding sometimes! These things really shouldn't be tripping me up and it can get quite annoying, does anybody have any tips on avoiding this?
I think it helps if rather than putting your head down and just writing non-stop, after each step of your calculation just spend like 1-2 seconds recomposing yourself and just checking you did the right thing and then moving on.
Reply 2
Original post by Lohikäärme
I keep messing up my maths work because I manage to make really simple mistakes that I notice straight away when I go over them but I somehow miss when I'm doing the equations? Silly things like multiplying or dividing or even adding sometimes! These things really shouldn't be tripping me up and it can get quite annoying, does anybody have any tips on avoiding this?

This works for me I find if I work a little slower and justlook at the equation after I have finished it and go over it in my head I spotany mistake I make but I only do this for home work or in tests
Original post by Daz0101
This works for me I find if I work a little slower and justlook at the equation after I have finished it and go over it in my head I spotany mistake I make but I only do this for home work or in tests

Original post by BobBobson
I think it helps if rather than putting your head down and just writing non-stop, after each step of your calculation just spend like 1-2 seconds recomposing yourself and just checking you did the right thing and then moving on.

So just taking a moment and double checking what you've done before you move on to the next step? Do you guys find this takes up too much time, or is it worth it?
Original post by Lohikäärme
So just taking a moment and double checking what you've done before you move on to the next step? Do you guys find this takes up too much time, or is it worth it?

I wouldn't say double check, but rather just look quickly back at what you've done. It's mainly just giving your brain one or two seconds two realise it ****ed up.

Quick Reply

Latest