The Student Room Group

How to avoid stupid mistakes maths

I recently had my maths exam and I had studied thoroughly for the module yet I lost a lot of marks due to the number of stupid mistakes I made. All of which I realized after leaving the exam.

For example for 1 question I was given 2 variables x and y and their ranges. Then I was given 2 further variables U = x-y and V= x + y. The question just asked for the range of u and v. And I don't know what I was thinking but it did not occur to me that I could just use to the ranges of x and y to compute the ranges of u and v. I feel incredibly stupid for making this mistake because it was so simple. I was trying something overcomplicated to do this simple question which cost me time and marks.

How can I avoid doing absolutely stupid **** like this? Because it's frustrating me!
just don't be stooopid
Original post by rsen1324
I recently had my maths exam and I had studied thoroughly for the module yet I lost a lot of marks due to the number of stupid mistakes I made. All of which I realized after leaving the exam.

For example for 1 question I was given 2 variables x and y and their ranges. Then I was given 2 further variables U = x-y and V= x + y. The question just asked for the range of u and v. And I don't know what I was thinking but it did not occur to me that I could just use to the ranges of x and y to compute the ranges of u and v. I feel incredibly stupid for making this mistake because it was so simple. I was trying something overcomplicated to do this simple question which cost me time and marks.

How can I avoid doing absolutely stupid **** like this? Because it's frustrating me!

Not sure there is a single way to stop making mistakes but some of the usual things to do are:
* make sure you check to see how questions follow on, so think about how previous parts are used in subsequent parts
* explicitly think about different ways of approaching the problem
* try and estimate/approximate an answer to validate what you calculate
* simplify the problem down, so in your example you could have imagined x = {1,2}, y={3,5} so obviously v would be {4,5,6,7} ... and youd "discover" the right approach
* try and sketch/visualize the problem, recognise patterns, ...
* try and understand results so the sum of a arithmetic sequence is n/2[2a+(n-1)d], but its easy to understand using the guass trick so
number of terms * average value = number of terms[first + last]/2

The usual advice is to think about the first couple of lines of what youre going to do before putting pen to paper. Its easy to do pages of "dumb" algebra which looks impressive but has no value.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
Not sure there is a single way to stop making mistakes but some of the usual things to do are:
* make sure you check to see how questions follow on, so think about how previous parts are used in subsequent parts
* explicitly think about different ways of approaching the problem
* try and estimate/approximate an answer to validate what you calculate
* simplify the problem down, so in your example you could have imagined x = {1,2}, y={3,5} so obviously v would be {4,5,6,7} ... and youd "discover" the right approach
* try and sketch/visualize the problem, recognise patterns, ...
* try and understand results so the sum of a arithmetic sequence is n/2[2a+(n-1)d], but its easy to understand using the guass trick so
number of terms * average value = number of terms[first + last]/2

The usual advice is to think about the first couple of lines of what youre going to do before putting pen to paper. Its easy to do pages of "dumb" algebra which looks impressive but has no value.

Thanks for your advice! I think the last paragraph was the most useful 😭 the only reason I messed up this range question is because I blindly dived into the question without even thinking. I think if I had spent just 10 seconds thinking "well...I have the ranges of x and y already so to compute range of V and U...", I wouldn't have done something completely idiotic. Do you agree?
Reply 4
Original post by JordanCav
just don't be stooopid

I wish it was just that easy like the flick of switch 😢
Thanks for your advice! I think the last paragraph was the most useful 😭 the only reason I messed up this range question is because I blindly dived into the question without even thinking. I think if I had spent just 10 seconds thinking "well...I have the ranges of x and y already so to compute range of V and U...", I wouldn't have done something completely idiotic. Do you agree?

Pretty much, its easy to do dumb algebra without thinking about
* what are you told (in this and other question parts),
* what is the question asking for
* what different approaches can be used, are previous question parts useful (spot the "hence" keyword)
* after a couple of steps (jot down some simple/approximate/rough working if necessary), will I be close to the answer

There are often fairly elegant/concise solutions to problems, and while it takes time to think about them (so you don't necessarily save time overall), the time is well spent as youre fairly sure the answer is correct and youve a good understanding to apply to other similar problems. Diving into 1/2 page of dumb algebra leading to an answer youre not sure about is likely to be wrong.
(edited 1 year ago)
It sounds like you're getting stressed and not thinking through it so if you're panicking I'd just wait a few seconds and take a deep breath, reassure yourself you are capable of doing this, and then begin looking into how to solve the question. Also if you have time at the end go back through and really read each question carefully to make sure you've understood what it's asking.
Reply 7

Looks like you were not concentrating well plus going through exam nerves or may be rushing throughetc. Always read the question 3 times, make a mental note of precisely they asking in question, if not confident do it in pencil and then if you feel confident then write the final answer with required ink. If you have consistently mistakes , then the examiner will think you were carelees resulting in losing marks but on the up side be postive and even if you fail -there is always resit.
Reply 8
The only effective way to avoid silly mistakes is more question practice. Don’t dwell too long on specific errors you’ve made and just keep doing papers.

Quick Reply

Latest