The Student Room Group

Gcse aqa science

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO TEACH YOURSELF ALL OF GCSE AQA CHEMISTRY/BIOLOGY/PHYSICS (USING REVISION GUIDES/NOTES) ? please leave honest answers
I don't teach myself. The teachers teach you. At this point you should only be revising. Looking through your notes. Therefore it only takes me an hour or so every week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobBobson
I don't teach myself. The teachers teach you. At this point you should only be revising. Looking through your notes. Therefore it only takes me an hour or so every week

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah mate but my physics and chem teachers have taught me next to nothing
Original post by childishgambin0
BUMP

I had the same problem, continued into a levels.

best advice is this (ill be doing this tomorrow) get all your materials organised into one pile each subject, then spend a day or two going through all the information you need to learn and write them really neat onto index cards. intersperse questions to test your knowledge as you go along to make sure you understand it.

sounds like a chore, but it got me almost solid A's in all my gcses last year.

any questions about the exams you have?
Reply 4
BUMP

Had a similar problem. Also hated AQA for science. Was awful and the content is really challenging. I started revising for science at this point as there is so much to learn. Are there any other science teachers you can speak to? Any of your friends amazing at science?

Have you got the cgp revision guides? I would honestly recommend them, they are so useful. Couldn't if passed without them.
Reply 5
You could use YouTube videos to help you learn the concepts. Plus use a textbook and a revision guide and start making notes asap - things like mind-maps, flash-cards, write a summary of key ideas for each topic, etc. What I've done in the past for certain topics is I used one textbook to make notes from in the morning, and the revision guide to just read through the same topic in the evening. It really helps things to stick in my mind.

CGP make good textbooks and revision guides.

GetToKnowScience is a good Youtube channel for science videos. Also my-gcsescience if you want core-science videos.

Hope that helps.
Original post by SonoLuma
I had the same problem, continued into a levels.

best advice is this (ill be doing this tomorrow) get all your materials organised into one pile each subject, then spend a day or two going through all the information you need to learn and write them really neat onto index cards. intersperse questions to test your knowledge as you go along to make sure you understand it.

sounds like a chore, but it got me almost solid A's in all my gcses last year.

any questions about the exams you have?

thanks so much, such a helpful answer.
do you think if I start now, at the beginning of january, I can learn it all in time for the final exams?
(you did amazing in the end!!)
Original post by AimeeC9
Had a similar problem. Also hated AQA for science. Was awful and the content is really challenging. I started revising for science at this point as there is so much to learn. Are there any other science teachers you can speak to? Any of your friends amazing at science?

Have you got the cgp revision guides? I would honestly recommend them, they are so useful. Couldn't if passed without them.

hate it so much, only taking triple science bc school:frown: i was thinking of starting tomorrow, do you reckon it's enough time?
there are some other good science teachers but school will freak out if they realise how behind i really am:smile:) prob gonna rely on my mates
thanks for the reccomendation, i have the nelson thornes ones as i find them easier to read but i will try cgp if i realise i'm not learning anything!!
Original post by Mo H
You could use YouTube videos to help you learn the concepts. Plus use a textbook and a revision guide and start making notes asap - things like mind-maps, flash-cards, write a summary of key ideas for each topic, etc. What I've done in the past for certain topics is I used one textbook to make notes from in the morning, and the revision guide to just read through the same topic in the evening. It really helps things to stick in my mind.

CGP make good textbooks and revision guides.

GetToKnowScience is a good Youtube channel for science videos. Also my-gcsescience if you want core-science videos.

Hope that helps.

thank u so much ! the textbook and then revision guide seem really good to make notes and learn them, i've also watched a couple of mygcsescience videos. HE'S A LEGEND
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO TEACH YOURSELF ALL OF GCSE AQA CHEMISTRY/BIOLOGY/PHYSICS (USING REVISION GUIDES/NOTES) ? please leave honest answers

about one to two months including past papers if you revise everyday
Original post by CraigBackner
about one to two months including past papers if you revise everyday

thanks, do you reckon i should dedicate a month to physics then a month to chem and so on or keep doing the sciences together every day?
thanks, do you reckon i should dedicate a month to physics then a month to chem and so on or keep doing the sciences together every day?

no i dont think that is a good idea revising one subject in a month. i reccomend you revise all three sciences within the week at least twice. for example, you can chemistry on monday and tuesday, then bio on wesday and friday, the physics on thursday and saturday
Original post by CraigBackner
no i dont think that is a good idea revising one subject in a month. i reccomend you revise all three sciences within the week at least twice. for example, you can chemistry on monday and tuesday, then bio on wesday and friday, the physics on thursday and saturday

thank you so much!! gonna do exactly that
thanks so much, such a helpful answer.
do you think if I start now, at the beginning of january, I can learn it all in time for the final exams?
(you did amazing in the end!!)

Hehe thanks! I tried my best, thats all you can aim for :-)

Short answer is yes. Why? Because you have no choice, keep that "fear" in you and it will drive you forward, dont let it make you feel bad if you dont succeed. But use it to motivate you to get things done. I have just under a week to get alot revised (wasnt given materials by tutors, complaining when I go back!) for exams next week.

We can get it done because the alternative is to fail, and we cant let that happen ;-) I am assuming your exams are may/june time, which seems like plenty of time as long as you keep motivated :biggrin:

Dont be too hard on yourself though, make sure you get as much done as you can, and make time to relax as well to stave off any undue anxiety you may feel. Go out and get those index cards though for sure! I swear by them! :-)
Hehe thanks! I tried my best, thats all you can aim for :-)

Short answer is yes. Why? Because you have no choice, keep that "fear" in you and it will drive you forward, dont let it make you feel bad if you dont succeed. But use it to motivate you to get things done. I have just under a week to get alot revised (wasnt given materials by tutors, complaining when I go back!) for exams next week.

We can get it done because the alternative is to fail, and we cant let that happen ;-) I am assuming your exams are may/june time, which seems like plenty of time as long as you keep motivated :biggrin:

Dont be too hard on yourself though, make sure you get as much done as you can, and make time to relax as well to stave off any undue anxiety you may feel. Go out and get those index cards though for sure! I swear by them! :-)

yep the fear should definitely drive me forward considering i'm so bloody scared hah !!
i hope ur exams go okay even though tutors messed up :frown:(
yep they're a mix of may and june so 4 to 5 months better be enough !!
best advice, thanks again!
yep the fear should definitely drive me forward considering i'm so bloody scared hah !!
i hope ur exams go okay even though tutors messed up :frown:(
yep they're a mix of may and june so 4 to 5 months better be enough !!
best advice, thanks again!

Haha no worries! Thanks! I know its stressful, but keep motivated and use your time well and you have PLENTY of time! keep that motivation going!

I didnt want to put "the fear" across as something that makes you feel terrible, it shouldnt, just something to drive you forward :-) good luck :-)
Haha no worries! Thanks! I know its stressful, but keep motivated and use your time well and you have PLENTY of time! keep that motivation going!

I didnt want to put "the fear" across as something that makes you feel terrible, it shouldnt, just something to drive you forward :-) good luck :-)

thanks soo much, going to try and use TSR for motivation!
good luck with a levels too, the fear used to make me like CRY but it's a driving force now!
thanks soo much, going to try and use TSR for motivation!
good luck with a levels too, the fear used to make me like CRY but it's a driving force now!

People I know always call me negative, but its recognising those negatives that enables you to identify problems and turn them into positives! :-)

Make that fear work for you :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest