The Student Room Group

WJEC January Exams

Is anyone here doing GCSE modules in January with WJEC?

What subjects/units are you doing? What do you want to get in them? What predictions do you have for the papers?

I'll start -

I'm doing English Literature Unit 1 - I study Of Mice and Men for Section A. What does everyone else doing this exam study and what do you do for Unit 2?
I hope to get an A* and my predictions for the theme essays are dreams, violence, discrimination or power.

I'm also doing Chemistry 2 (I did C1 in June and got an A*). I'm not sure what to expect from this paper, I'm just hoping there's a lot on bonding, calculations and organic chemistry and not a lot on water or rates :biggrin:. I hope to get an A* to match up with C1!
Reply 1
Bump
I also did the English today, how did you find it? (However I did TKAMB)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Alexemmamay3101
I also did the English today, how did you find it? (However I did TKAMB)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it was quite good for me, actually. I actually wrote half a page of one essay but changed my mind, crossed it out and did the other one instead, but I feel it was the best choice. The poems were the best they've had in a while, but I couldn't really find any deeper meaning in the poems as a whole.

How did you find it? :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Tombre
I think it was quite good for me, actually. I actually wrote half a page of one essay but changed my mind, crossed it out and did the other one instead, but I feel it was the best choice. The poems were the best they've had in a while, but I couldn't really find any deeper meaning in the poems as a whole.

I decided to do the Crooks essay because I felt that I had so much to write about him... The extract was coincidentally identical to the one we were given as a mock and I got 10 on that so I just wrote it exactly the same as the mock :biggrin:
Poetry is my weakest point however I actually understood the two poems and they've been the best poems WJEC have used for quite a while now. I'm just hoping everything I said is actually good for that!
I'm aiming to get 41+ /50 in this exam, so fingers crossed we both get the A*!
Original post by yeezyb
I decided to do the Crooks essay because I felt that I had so much to write about him... The extract was coincidentally identical to the one we were given as a mock and I got 10 on that so I just wrote it exactly the same as the mock :biggrin:
Poetry is my weakest point however I actually understood the two poems and they've been the best poems WJEC have used for quite a while now. I'm just hoping everything I said is actually good for that!

Interesting you say that, I actually struggled with the poetry. I found there was not many techniques- only basic ones. I am also aiming around the 41 plus mark. However I only got 39 in my mock!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tombre

My novel side was very good. In my mock I redid my essay so I see where your coming from. I agree with no deep meaning in the poetry- I did struggle 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by yeezyb

Yeah, I'm quite confident with my Crooks essay too. Ahhh that's so lucky, we did a very similar extract in class (there was some overlap), however I feel that once or twice I may have gone off focus of mood and atmosphere and talked about sub-text, but it wasn't enough to lose me marks (at least I hope not :biggrin:)

The poems were nice poems, but I felt they lacked in sub-text, so I hope that I don't get penalised too harshly for not having many points about that.

I got exactly 41 in the mock, so yeah I'm aiming for the same as you haha. I would ideally like full UMS, but I don't see that happening if I'm realistic 😂
Reply 8
My novel side was very good. In my mock I redid my essay so I see where your coming from. I agree with no deep meaning in the poetry- I did struggle 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw yay, that's great! Yeah, it was a bit of a pain, but I finished it even though I only had roughly 30 minutes to do it.

I thought the poems were nice because they were imagery-rich and full of figurative language (also not very hard to read, which was a nice change - I'm looking at you Car Showroom :angry:), but yes there didn't seem to be any message carried beneath the poems or any extended metaphors or such, which annoyed me. I always find figuring out the sub-text very satisfying.
Original post by Tombre
Aw yay, that's great! Yeah, it was a bit of a pain, but I finished it even though I only had roughly 30 minutes to do it.

I thought the poems were nice because they were imagery-rich and full of figurative language (also not very hard to read, which was a nice change - I'm looking at you Car Showroom :angry:), but yes there didn't seem to be any message carried beneath the poems or any extended metaphors or such, which annoyed me. I always find figuring out the sub-text very satisfying.

Crazy late, but how was your result? I got an A which I'm not overly pleased about as I wanted an A*, but still proud as it was my first exam!
Reply 10
Crazy late, but how was your result? I got an A which I'm not overly pleased about as I wanted an A*, but still proud as it was my first exam!

Congratulations! That is an incredible result! :biggrin: Don't worry if you wanted an A*, the Unit 2 exam and the Unit 3 assessment can definitely pull your grade up. :smile: I was thrilled because I got an A*. I was so nervous for my result, I never thought I'd get such a good grade!

Quick Reply

Latest