The Student Room Group

Maths AS Level Privately

Hi, I wanted to do WJEC Maths AS Level privately. As a homeschooled student. Is it possible? + How do I go about it?
Original post by Affanbutt6thform
Hi, I wanted to do WJEC Maths AS Level privately. As a homeschooled student. Is it possible? + How do I go about it?

As there is no online course for WJEC AS Level Maths (out of all the exam boards, why WJEC?), you would need to self study. I define this as getting the necessary textbooks for WJEC AS Level Maths (a quick google search shows that there are official textbooks for this).

You can then apply for the exams as a private candidate through the WJEC website: https://www.wjec.co.uk/home/student-support/private-candidates/
From reading the page, you would notice the JCQ website, and you would find the list of WJEC approved exam centres (you will need to filter and search for these): https://www.jcq.org.uk/private-candidates/

Go and contact each approved exam centre (ask for the exam officer) and see if you can arrange a booking for your exams. The normal booking period is between November and February of any given academic year. After February, you would be incurring late fees until April, when you would no longer be able to book for any exams afterwards (too close to the exam date).
i would learn from a good quality textbook and do any past exams :smile:
I chose WJEC as I’m currently in Cardiff, and it’s pretty simple to actually register for those exams. I agree the content that WJEC provides is pretty negligible. But what my plan is to find a Textbook. Formulate a study plan. Find a tutor to assist me through the course. And sit the AS Exams in May… my college won’t let me enroll on it. Hence the decision to do it privately

The Textbooks are sold as Pure & Applied AS Spec. To my understanding there is a Pure paper then a Applied paper. So I would need to purchase both textbooks..
(edited 7 months ago)
Yeah :smile:
Reply 5
Interested in where you get to with this. i'm desperately searching for online provision for WJEC Maths A level - my daughter doing it in school but the lessons clash with her other A levels therefore looking for separate provision. Have found somewhere who do the full course online but its pricey. if anyone finds any others running the course online for WJEC then let me know!
I unfortunately so far haven’t found any online course as such. Buying the textbooks and hiring a tutor seems as the best option right now

Quick Reply

Latest