The Student Room Group

Do you shop at Primark?

Scroll to see replies

There's definitely a difference between clothes sold in primark and clothes sold in a shop like topman, a t shirt from primark will last you a fraction of the time that a t shirt from topman would last.

I only ever shop at primark when buying things for a music festival, things I'll use for the weekend then throw away.
Original post by Asiangirl_18
Nikes are expensive yet the labour down in Malaysia, Indonesia, China etc is cheap as hell and sorry but the working conditions in those kind of countries are never great. Everything we wear is "unethical" then as there are very few products still made in the U.K. under strict working conditions that give humane rights to those workers. There aren't too many "ethical/organic" clothes out there as far as I know that fit everyone's budgets.

The difference between the "luxury" clothes brands and the "budget" brands is that the more expensive ones tend to use factories with better conditions for the staff.

The Guardian has compiled a useful list of ethical brands. Probably a little out of date but the point still stands there are lots of ethical companies in the UK and further afield.

Everything you wear may be unethical, but I try to make an effort to use ethical brands where possible and what I can afford. You don't have to go totally ethical but even small changes to your buying habits still make a difference.
I like primark.
Original post by Willy Pete
The difference between the "luxury" clothes brands and the "budget" brands is that the more expensive ones tend to use factories with better conditions for the staff.

The Guardian has compiled a useful list of ethical brands. Probably a little out of date but the point still stands there are lots of ethical companies in the UK and further afield.

Everything you wear may be unethical, but I try to make an effort to use ethical brands where possible and what I can afford. You don't have to go totally ethical but even small changes to your buying habits still make a difference.

The luxury items have only got slightly better conditions. People there still are overworked, underpaid and seriously depressed enough to commit suicide right outside the factories. So it's not much better in any factory. These big businesses want profit and to make more profit is to exploit people who aren't educated enough to know better.

Also what's the point in one or just a few people dressinf ethically. It doesn't stop child labour, nor does it reduce it as so many more millions of people are still buying into those brands and labels.
The luxury items have only got slightly better conditions. People there still are overworked, underpaid and seriously depressed enough to commit suicide right outside the factories. So it's not much better in any factory. These big businesses want profit and to make more profit is to exploit people who aren't educated enough to know better.

Also what's the point in one or just a few people dressinf ethically. It doesn't stop child labour, nor does it reduce it as so many more millions of people are still buying into those brands and labels.

Every little helps.
Original post by Willy Pete
Every little helps.

Is that the Tesco or Asda punchline? 😉😂
Is that the Tesco or Asda punchline? 😉😂

Tesco.
Reply 47
Original post by Allie4
who are these people who say that? Even well off people shop at primark, only an idiot would buy an expensive item when they could get the exact same thing much cheaper from primark.

I bought a leather jacket from there once which was much more stylish than an expensive one I bought a year earlier. Had it for years

Well off people shop at Primark? I don't think so, since everyone I know would consider it socially unacceptable to shop there. Some friends went into Primark at London to make fun of the place (they disgustedly dropped every cloth they looked at on the floor), and to see "how the poor shop and dress". Silly behaviour, I know, but it shows my point.

People are not stupid for buying more expensive brands, it's evident that I can't find the same style, proper fit and overall quality of, say, a £120 Ralph Lauren shirt at Primark for £4.
Oh yeh I agree with some items the quality is really poor but u do get what u pay for yk. But it's nice to see that they do have higher quality items so for people on a budget u can still look quite fashion forward without breaking the bank
Original post by usualsuspects
Well off people shop at Primark? I don't think so, since everyone I know would consider it socially unacceptable to shop there.

That's not been my experience with people. A friend of mine who's 'doing pretty well for himself' totally freaked out when he first went in; he thought the place was great. Sure, not for tailoring, but for basics like socks, white tees, that sort of thing, they do passable stuff. People don't get rich (or keep their wealth) by spending it all I guess. I think some of my friends like it in a sort of ironic way too though..

You can make any clothes look great if you wear them confidently, whether they're made by Lanvin or Primark.

Quality-wise I think they do some okay things, obviously not -everything- is good quality (their sheers are always nasty), but I've got jackets and skirts that I've had for years without them wearing dramatically. I worry about how people are washing their clothes when they say they fall apart!
Reply 50
Original post by AmeliaLost

You can make any clothes look great if you wear them confidently, whether they're made by Lanvin or Primark.

There's truth in this, but I guess many get a confidence boost from the fact that they are wearing expensive clothes.
Unethical manufacturing process, unreliable products
I don't shop there mainly because i have never been impressed with the quality and am willing to spend more on clothes.

The jeans are probably the worst offender in that they are visibly poorer quality although the gap does narrow for other items.
Original post by emerald7770

This is life so hold on tight
This is the dream, it's all you need

Why are you giving motivational speeches to people who don't shop at Primark. I just want a pair of socks not a pep talk.
Original post by UWS
I bought my fedora from there.

Ya well while you were buying your fedora I was studying the blade, so who's the real winner here?
I buy bits of homeware, socks, underwear, and PJ bottoms from there. Everything else I tend to avoid. I'll buy the odd bit of jewellery intending only to wear it once as well. I find the sizing quite inconsistent and everything seems to be great at shrinking. I also find they don't cater to the larger breasted lady (:colondollar:) as much with regard to bras and tops
I do, but I am cheap. You kinda have to be when you don't have much money. I don't think being cheap is insulting if you do it cause you have to :P But also, I think Primark has some nice stuff, doesn't necessarily last long, but it means you can afford to change it up.
Reply 58
IF I LIKE IT I BUY IT. there are loads of cute stuff i cannt find in other shops. but things like jeans i prefere top shop however primark do have nice stuff.
I love Primark. I have loads of stuff from there! I find the quality of stuff there better than New Look tbh- I've stopped shopping at New Look as the quality of stuff is so awful. Whoever was saying about the leggings- the leggings from Primark I find are much better quality and they're a sight cheaper too!

Quick Reply

Latest