The Student Room Group

I did shoplifting in Primark

I think Jun 21st And they put fine on me around 175pounds, I paid fine and they sent post you paid the fine, After few months, I need to Apply for Post study work. Is there any problem With the Shoplifting( I will get the Post study work visa or not) I'm confused totally
Original post by Anonymous
I think Jun 21st And they put fine on me around 175pounds, I paid fine and they sent post you paid the fine, After few months, I need to Apply for Post study work. Is there any problem With the Shoplifting( I will get the Post study work visa or not) I'm confused totally

I honestly don't feel sorry for you, you chose to shop lift and you got caught. I think you will be able to apply for a visa, despite having to pay a hefty fine, since paying the fine itself is an admission of guilt, so it shouldn't affect you so much. However, I hope you don't commit a crime again, especially shop lifting.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
To shoplift from primark of all places ayy lmfaooo.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
To shoplift from primark of all places ayy lmfaooo.

Innit.

Primark is already as cheap as it is. It's actually embarrassing. I've fallen on hard times as well, but I would never shop lift.
Reply 5
So, I will apply for Post study work visa. There is no problem right??
Reply 6
Next time, I didn't repeat these type of things

You don’t see a problem in a country offering visas to thieves? Would your country be as kind?
There probably won’t be any trace of your activity and you probably will get a visa, but I don’t see why people should think that it’s OK to be welcomed into a country and then cheat.

You came here on a student visa and you didn't even respect the law, I hope they deny your visa.
You came here on a student visa and you didn't even respect the law, I hope they deny your visa.

Even I don't agree with OP's actions, but I just hope they don't do it again and they have learned their lesson, although I do wonder what they had stolen to get a £175 fine, since OP's fine is more expensive than a parking ticket.
Original post by House of Vane
Even I don't agree with OP's actions, but I just hope they don't do it again and they have learned their lesson, although I do wonder what they had stolen to get a £175 fine, since OP's fine is more expensive than a parking ticket.

Presumably they came here with clothes on their back and it's not like they were stealing food, so I'd question whether their economic situation truly brought them to this being their last resort. A lot of British born young people can't even get into university. To think that someone who can't even respect basic laws can come and take their place is frustrating.
Reply 11

Who fined you? Was this through the legal system?

If the police were involved and you went to court (or you were dealt with through the "single justice procedure") then you will have a criminal record and presumably will need to declare this on a visa application.

If this was dealt with through the civil courts then I suspect you don't need to declare it.

I think we need more details.

Who issued the fine? Primark have no legal power to issue a fine, and the police don't issue fines (or fixed penalty notices) for shop theft.

I'm aware that Primark use a company called Retail Loss Prevention Ltd to issue "Civil Recovery" letters, and that some people are unaware that they have no legal basis whatsoever and opt to pay them. If this is the sort of "fine" you're talking about, then it will have zero impact on an application for a Post Study Work visa (officially called the Graduate Immigration Route).

If Primark (or RPL Ltd) have asked you for some money, and you have given it to them, then neither the police or the courts were involved, and the details won't be disclosed via a DBS check or similar.
Reply 13
Original post by DataVenia
Who issued the fine? Primark have no legal power to issue a fine, and the police don't issue fines (or fixed penalty notices) for shop theft.

I'm aware that Primark use a company called Retail Loss Prevention Ltd to issue "Civil Recovery" letters, and that some people are unaware that they have no legal basis whatsoever and opt to pay them. If this is the sort of "fine" you're talking about, then it will have zero impact on an application for a Post Study Work visa (officially called the Graduate Immigration Route).

If Primark (or RPL Ltd) have asked you for some money, and you have given it to them, then neither the police or the courts were involved, and the details won't be disclosed via a DBS check or similar.

Yeah, I receive a post from civil recovery, Like pay the fine around 170pounds..
Yeah, I receive a post from civil recovery, Like pay the fine around 170pounds..

OK. Then as I said before, you've opted to pay this money to private company. Neither the police nor the courts were involved. It will therefore have no impact on your visa application.

Whether this theft will affect your visa is dependant on one thing only. Was a record made of this theft? So; were you arrested?; Even if you weren't arrested, did anyone take down your details?; Who fined you?

Post Edit:
I now see another comment addressing this similar issue. So yes, THERE WILL BE NO AFFECT ON GETTING A VISA. Happy days. I wish for you to live a prosperous life.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by House of Vane
I honestly don't feel sorry for you, you chose to shop lift and you got caught. I think you will be able to apply for a visa, despite having to pay a hefty fine, since paying the fine itself is an admission of guilt, so it shouldn't affect you so much. However, I hope you don't commit a crime again, especially shop lifting.

Shoplifting is a crime against the company not the people, get a grip
Original post by Niggle
Shoplifting is a crime against the company not the people, get a grip

What's that got to do with what that person said?
Presumably they came here with clothes on their back and it's not like they were stealing food, so I'd question whether their economic situation truly brought them to this being their last resort. A lot of British born young people can't even get into university. To think that someone who can't even respect basic laws can come and take their place is frustrating.

Maybe the British born young people your talking about should’ve studied harder

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending