The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Will interject that there should be some kind of table for grammar vs comprehensive too. I go to imperial and there's extremely few comprehensive students
Reply 61
Original post by Underscore__
If you're applying for a training contract (legal role) or a graduate role at an investment bank the simple fact is you're not going to even be considered unless you've been to a good university

In the vast majority of cases for most employers this is simply wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
In the vast majority of cases for most employers this is simply wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, of course most employers won't reject you simply based on the university you went to. It's funny how you cut my other paragraph, the one which applies to other roles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Yes, of course most employers won't reject you simply based on the university you went to. It's funny how you cut my other paragraph, the one which applies to other roles

Ok so I'll deal with your first para:
"Given that graduate roles are so over applied for often having particular things will make your application more likely to considered. Seeing a name like Durham, for example, on application will be a good first impression."

Again, no. Most employers for most roles do not care which university you went to.

Are you a graduate currently in employment? Or, like me, an actual employer?
Ok so I'll deal with your first para:
"Given that graduate roles are so over applied for often having particular things will make your application more likely to considered. Seeing a name like Durham, for example, on application will be a good first impression."

Again, no. Most employers for most roles do not care which university you went to.

Are you a graduate currently in employment? Or, like me, an actual employer?

I'll rephrase, big companies that pay well care where you went to university.

But like I said first impressions count. If you're reading two CVs and they're from opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of university the one from the top uni is starting ahead
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
I'll rephrase, big companies that pay well care where you went to university.

But like I said first impressions count. If you're reading two CVs and they're from opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of university the one from the top uni is starting ahead

Again, no. In fact "big companies that pay well" are increasingly making their grad schemes blind to the applicant's university to prevent any unconscious bias by interviewers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Again, no. In fact "big companies that pay well" are increasingly making their grad schemes blind to the applicant's university to prevent any unconscious bias by interviewers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. I've heard about that from a handful of companies, I'd hardly say it seems to be commonplace.
2. That's at interview stage, you still need to get past the initial application phase which will say which university you went to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
1. I've heard about that from a handful of companies, I'd hardly say it seems to be commonplace.
2. That's at interview stage, you still need to get past the initial application phase which will say which university you went to

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's increasingly common and demonstrates best practice so other companies are following suit. And it happens at the application stage, before interview.

It's recommended by bodies such as the CBI.

And even if it's not a formal part of the process, trust me that the last thing i look at on a CV is someone's prior university. It's really not that important. As i said, employers are looking for good employees not "good" universities.

A lazy, and probably inexperienced, hiring manager might use the university as a proxy for shortlisting "good" people, but they won't last long in that role if they keep doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are white, male, straight and don't go to a private school you are the most discriminated against group in the country.
It's increasingly common and demonstrates best practice so other companies are following suit. And it happens at the application stage, before interview.

It's recommended by bodies such as the CBI.

And even if it's not a formal part of the process, trust me that the last thing i look at on a CV is someone's prior university. It's really not that important. As i said, employers are looking for good employees not "good" universities.

A lazy, and probably inexperienced, hiring manager might use the university as a proxy for shortlisting "good" people, but they won't last long in that role if they keep doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

^This. 100%

The best universities can produce good potential employees in that they have developed and honed skills in analysis, argument, assimilation of large amounts of material and general high-level cognitive abilities. But that in itself is very much not enough - 'soft skills' like emotional intelligence, drive, discipline, awareness of the world...these things can be woefully lacking in graduates from the very best universities, and exist in spades from a candidate from a much 'weaker' university. That a candidate has gone to a 'good' university can sort of act as a 'marker' that some of the things an employer looks for might well be there, but it doesn't mean that everything is there.

Name some, I've never heard of a big company not asking which university you went to at the application phase.

One part, for most employers, of a good candidate is strong academics which is where their university factors in.

Must be a coincidence then that virtually everyone in my office went to Russell Group universities. Although, I know it isn't. Law firms look at the university you went to and I don't think they have particularly high turnover in HR staff. Banks are the same. The big four are the same. Technology is renowned for caring about university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by Reality Check
^This. 100%

The best universities can produce good potential employees in that they have developed and honed skills in analysis, argument, assimilation of large amounts of material and general high-level cognitive abilities. But that in itself is very much not enough - 'soft skills' like emotional intelligence, drive, discipline, awareness of the world...these things can be woefully lacking in graduates from the very best universities, and exist in spades from a candidate from a much 'weaker' university. That a candidate has gone to a 'good' university can sort of act as a 'marker' that some of the things an employer looks for might well be there, but it doesn't mean that everything is there.

Indeed, and that's why universities like Bath, Sussex and Lboro do so well for grad prospects.
Reply 72
Name some, I've never heard of a big company not asking which university you went to at the application phase.

They might ask it - doesn't mean they use it as a filter.
Law firms look at the university you went to

This isn't strictly true. Some of the best MC firms like Clifford Chance introduced 'CV blind' applications way back in 2013, with Mayer Brown, McFarlanes following. This is precisely to avoid the preconceptions which come with an application that has 'Charterhouse/Eton/Harrow/Rugby; Oxford/Cambridge' on it.
Reply 74
Must be a coincidence then that virtually everyone in my office went to Russell Group universities. Although, I know it isn't. Law firms look at the university you went to and I don't think they have particularly high turnover in HR staff. Banks are the same. The big four are the same. Technology is renowned for caring about university
Posted from TSR Mobile

Also...
1) Not everyone wants to be a lawyer
2) correlation =/= causation
3) Clifford Chance

This isn't strictly true. Some of the best MC firms like Clifford Chance introduced 'CV blind' applications way back in 2013, with Mayer Brown, McFarlanes following. This is precisely to avoid the preconceptions which come with an application that has 'Charterhouse/Eton/Harrow/Rugby; Oxford/Cambridge' on it.

Ah, you beat me to it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by richpanda
If you are white, male, straight and don't go to a private school you are the most discriminated against group in the country.

When did white men become so desperate in victimising themselves?

They might ask it - doesn't mean they use it as a filter.

Also...
1) Not everyone wants to be a lawyer
2) correlation =/= causation
3) Clifford Chance

Ah, you beat me to it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said that a lot of big companies have 'university blind' application systems. Whether they officially use it as a filter or not I don't know of a single company that wouldn't ask where you went to uni.

I thought you'd mention CC's new policy. The CV blind system at CC is for final stage interviews, that's true of the other firms you mentioned too. Of course not everyone at big firms went to RG but I don't know of anyone who went to a university that isn't very well thought of. Obviously I don't know every trainee at every big firm but I know the trainees in my cohort and I have friends who went to work for other big firms. One of the was almost in shock when he met a trainee who went to Sussex.

No, not everyone wants to be a lawyer hence why I mentioned banking and technology as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
One of the was almost in shock when he met a trainee who went to Sussex.

Of course they ask for your university, to collect stats about the process. The fact is they don't filter on it.

And that speaks more about your friend than your firm.

1489318779386.jpg

Edit to add: by the way, which university did Clifford Chance's HR Director go to?

A: Sussex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Of course they ask for your university, to collect stats about the process. The fact is they don't filter on it.

And that speaks more about your friend than your firm.

1489318779386.jpg

Edit to add: by the way, which university did Clifford Chance's HR Director go to?

A: Sussex.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right so there's no CV blind applications, just CV blind interviews. Without evidence to the contrary it's only logical to assume it plays a role. It seems unlikely that by mere coincidence the best applications all came from RG alumni

1. Congrats you found three lawyers in a firm of almost three thousand that went to Sussex.
2. I at no point said that all solicitors at magic circle firms went to RG, I said most.
3. The friend I was talking about is at Baker & Mckenzie so CC stats aren't really relevant. It doesn't speak more of him, you can search B&M's website by university, have a quick look and see how many lawyers went to Sussex (spoiler the answer is two, Baker have almost 5,000 attorneys).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Right so there's no CV blind applications, just CV blind interviews. Without evidence to the contrary it's only logical to assume it plays a role. It seems unlikely that by mere coincidence the best applications all came from RG alumni

1. Congrats you found three lawyers in a firm of almost three thousand that went to Sussex.
2. I at no point said that all solicitors at magic circle firms went to RG, I said most.
3. The friend I was talking about is at Baker & Mckenzie so CC stats aren't really relevant. It doesn't speak more of him, you can search B&M's website by university, have a quick look and see how many lawyers went to Sussex (spoiler the answer is two, Baker have almost 5,000 attorneys).

They. Don't. Filter. On. University. Name. At. All. At. No. Stage.
"CVs must be included with the submission, but they are “for our recording purposes only,” adds Aasha Mahadoo, Clifford Chance’s graduate recruitment advisor. They will only be considered after a decision has been made on the applications to confirm that the candidate is currently studying at a UK university (a requirement for the scheme), she continues."

The screenshot only shows 3 - Linkedin actually has 13 CC employees from Sussex. (Including, as noted, the Head of HR...)
https://www.linkedin.com/school/9521/alumni?facetCurrentCompany=3954

And 9 at B&M:
https://www.linkedin.com/school/9521/alumni?facetCurrentCompany=3957
This compares with 96 from Oxford at B&M.

At no point have I said there are more non-RGs at "top" law firms. The current changes in recruitment will take a few years to filter through, and of course there are good applicants at RGs so they aren't going to be turned away. The point, once again, is going to a non-RG doesn't prevent you from being succesful.

More data: 38% of 2013 TCs at Eversheds were from non-RG universities, and 41% at Irwin Mitchell.

Latest

Trending

Trending