The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
An unbelievable round. Joshua dug deep to see it through.

And on top of that, the 11th round in which Joshua beat hard punches what led to interruption of this fight. Especially he has fought like a beast yesterday.
Interesting comments from Hearn post-fight.

He says they'll try and break new markets with AJ, like the Middle East, USA, China. That's ambitious - but it makes sense. Would an AJ vs Pulev fight be better in the UK than abroad? I'd argue not.
Joshua, even before this fight, was appealing to sponsors with his existing arrangements but this victory takes it to another level.

Hearn not shy of shouting from the rooftops but he's got a gold ticket with AJ. I'd still think he'll fight in the UK for a few more fights with a Wilder clash taking place in the US. Also lol at Hearn getting booed last night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think AJ should fight guys like Pulev/Stiverne/Parker/Ruiz before he gets in the ring with Fury/Wilder.

He showed he's got the heart and power to beat anyone, but also that he's still very inexperienced and has a lot of room for improvement.

Wilder will want to fight AJ asap before he gets even better.
Maybe this fight will put some more respeck on Fury's name.
Original post by Aky786UK
Also lol at Hearn getting booed last night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My favourite part of the night.
Original post by Rk2k14

It should do. I know Fury made it a dull fight, but Klitschko proved last night that Fury winning wasn't down to Klitschko's advancing age.
I haven't been disappointed in an outcome of a fight for a long time. I really hoped that Wlad could pull it off and so nearly did in that 6th round. He didn't quite have that final killer instinct had this been during his prime years, I think Wlad would have sealed it (even the Wlad that fought Haye in 2011). Oh and just imagine if Vitali had fought Joshua! Anyway,, Joshua stepped up and huge credit to him for coming back the way he did.
Original post by Rk2k14

Not really, it's pretty clear that the WK that turned up to fight AJ was far better than the WK that turned up to fight Fury.

And even with that AJ knocked him down 3 times and stopped him but the only way Fury could win was to make it the worst major HW fight in years.
Original post by Palmyra
Not really, it's pretty clear that the WK that turned up to fight AJ was far better than the WK that turned up to fight Fury.

And even with that AJ knocked him down 3 times and stopped him but the only way Fury could win was to make it the worst major HW fight in years.

AJ is a much easier opponent to deal with compared to Fury's unorthodox style. He dictated the fight and Wlad had no response.

Fury would have picked AJ apart. Non-existent defence.
Hard to see where the next big money-spinner for Matchroom on home turf is, really. Linares would absolutely ruin Campbell, and it wouln't be PPV-worthy, Brook won't get the Khan fight, Taylor and Adams' appeals aren't going to be universal (female boxing has someway to go before they can draw like UFC women do), and Quigg looks a shell of a fighter he once was ever since Frampton ruined his jaw.

Groves vs DeGale II, perhaps? If the former beats Chudinov? Fury vs AJ?
Original post by shorttermnomad
I haven't been disappointed in an outcome of a fight for a long time. I really hoped that Wlad could pull it off and so nearly did in that 6th round. He didn't quite have that final killer instinct had this been during his prime years, I think Wlad would have sealed it (even the Wlad that fought Haye in 2011). Oh and just imagine if Vitali had fought Joshua! Anyway,, Joshua stepped up and huge credit to him for coming back the way he did.

Klitschko is not the youngest fighter anymore. He is 41 years old, so I guess he has forfeited the named killer instict a bit, but don't forget that he has not fought in a boxing match for almost one and a half years! and he is still able to knock boxers like Joshua out. Just some years younger and Klitschko would had won the fight after the 6th round. Joshua's comeback was great and impressive.
Original post by Kallisto
Klitschko is not the youngest fighter anymore. He is 41 years old, so I guess he has forfeited the named killer instict a bit, but don't forget that he has not fought in a boxing match for almost one and a half years! and he is still able to knock boxers like Joshua out. Just some years younger and Klitschko would had won the fight after the 6th round. Joshua's comeback was great and impressive.

Exactly, my thoughts too. Given all those circumstances he did as well as he could I suppose. The ifs and buts are endless but Joshua was excellent in finishing the fight. Just hard to see a guy like Klitschko get bashed around like he did in that 11th round and go down hard twice. Very upsetting. I'm not Ukrainian lol and I don't dislike Joshua, it's just that I was so hoping Klit would do it and pull off one last epic triumph to end a magnificent career.
Reply 7752
I've watched many slug-fests from the 70s onwards and it seemed to me that AJ & Klitsch went to ground real easy.
There was more action in one round of earlier fights!
Wlad rematch, Wilder, Parker, then Fury. That would be my ideal path for AJ now.
Original post by Mackay
Wlad rematch, Wilder, Parker, then Fury. That would be my ideal path for AJ now.

Throw Ortiz in the mix too. Mandatory.

Really want to see how he fares with a big opponent, feel for the guy.
Original post by Rk2k14
Throw Ortiz in the mix too. Mandatory.

Really want to see how he fares with a big opponent, feel for the guy.

My issue is that I'm unsure who can take a punch from AJ and then have enough left to come back and win the bout. Whyte showed an excellent chin vs Chisora but Joshua had him hurt with pretty much every punch that landed. Breazeale showed a steel chin and really good fitness reserves in his last bout, never going down and digging deep to claim the win against a dangerous power puncher, but Joshua shut him down with his first clean punch and then finished him without much difficulty later in the bout. Even Kevin Johnson just went 12 rounds with Pulev... but Joshua took him out in two!
Original post by Mackay
My issue is that I'm unsure who can take a punch from AJ and then have enough left to come back and win the bout. Whyte showed an excellent chin vs Chisora but Joshua had him hurt with pretty much every punch that landed. Breazeale showed a steel chin and really good fitness reserves in his last bout, never going down and digging deep to claim the win against a dangerous power puncher, but Joshua shut him down with his first clean punch and then finished him without much difficulty later in the bout. Even Kevin Johnson just went 12 rounds with Pulev... but Joshua took him out in two!

Same can be said for Joshua though. Wilder and probably have the KO power and also the ability to finish off their opponent. They arent boxers like Wlad who'd rather wait out his opponent.

Feel an opponent like this is trouble for Joshua, but like you said if he hits you its sleepy time so you have to make sure you send him to bed first.
Original post by Rk2k14
Same can be said for Joshua though. Wilder and probably have the KO power and also the ability to finish off their opponent. They arent boxers like Wlad who'd rather wait out his opponent.

Feel an opponent like this is trouble for Joshua, but like you said if he hits you its sleepy time so you have to make sure you send him to bed first.

Yeah lol Klistchko has to send Joshua to bed if the rematch happens. I feel he is stronger and more accurate, it took Joshua so many punches to knock Klistchko down lol. That uppercut was so brutal lol more than the right hand of Klistchko I feel !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rk2k14

Either that, or completely navigate his offence and frustrate him. I wonder if there's a boxer out there who could do that?

Oh, hi Tyson.
[video="youtube;V33Zq8vObx0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33Zq8vObx0[/video]

throwback

Latest