Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Pop_tart
It sure is! This is a full msc programme :smile:

Great, thanks!
Reply 22
Bump once again...

Anyone know what you do with the MSc/Ma? Assuming you don't continue to do a PhD and become an academic.. what companies might be hiring a "Forensic Linguist"?
Reply 23
An excellent question. I would like to hear that, too, Snikle. :biggrin:
I'm hoping a few of you are still around to help with my queries as it's been a while since anyone posted.

I'm thinking of applying for the MSc Forensic Linguistics for either October 2014 or 2015. I'm a 'mature' student, currently taking the last module of a BA (Hons) Modern Language Degree, English & Spanish with the Open University, which has been fun but pretty hard work with a family and working full time.

Pop_Tart: Your posts have been really useful. I think you've probably started on the MSc now and would love to know how it's going. Or if there's anyone else currently taking this course or thinking about taking it feel free to PM me or reply to this post.

Reply 25
Original post by chocolatepusscat
I'm hoping a few of you are still around to help with my queries as it's been a while since anyone posted.

I'm thinking of applying for the MSc Forensic Linguistics for either October 2014 or 2015. I'm a 'mature' student, currently taking the last module of a BA (Hons) Modern Language Degree, English & Spanish with the Open University, which has been fun but pretty hard work with a family and working full time.

Pop_Tart: Your posts have been really useful. I think you've probably started on the MSc now and would love to know how it's going. Or if there's anyone else currently taking this course or thinking about taking it feel free to PM me or reply to this post.

Hi there!

I started the course in September/October 2012 but eventually dropped out of the course around December 2012. This was mainly due to me securing a graduate employment scheme and at the time that was worth more than my course. I felt like I could always do the course later on if I really wanted it and since I got a job I really wanted, I was alright with it. Besides that, it is quite a bit of money!

I can say that it will definitely require self discipline. The way lessons are set out is you basically watch a PowerPoint presentation in the form of a video (that you can pause/stop at any time) and then one of the lecturers that talks along with it - like going through slides with a voiceover. You can do things on your won pace a little bit really and if you miss a week you can simply catch up in the next - they are really flexible. I think it is important to work on it on set times and maybe even go to your local library or something just so you have a neutral place to work.

I really enjoyed the first few weeks and I was really excited about it. At the end of each 'video' they will give you a task or something to do. You put your answers on a forum (like this but a simpler version on the university website) and you can then discuss your answers and stuff with the other students (there were about 10 other students when I started).

The lecturers know their subject very well and are probably one of the best in their field really! Especially Tim Grant - he has been asked to help out with some HUGE court cases in the UK. From the contact I had with them I can say they were always really nice and helpful.

Think carefully what you want out of it. What career are you looking for/where do you want to go. These are the kinds of questions you need to be asking yourself. This degree is all theory based and has no practical aspect so to get the most out of this degree you do need to go the extra mile and do your reading and get to know the subject thoroughly otherwise you don't get everything out of it if that makes sense?

I guess what I am trying to say is, think about what this degree will add to where you want to go? Is it essential? I am not trying to talk you out of it of course but just trying to give you some food for thought to make sure you make the right decision because it is a lot of money! ^^

Finally, I have some digital books you might be very interested in if you are happy to message me your email address or something for me to send files to, I'm happy to send them!

I hope this has helped a bit :smile:
Hi, thanks for the quick response, I've sent you a PM :smile:
Is anyone still around? I recently applied to some Forensic Linguistics MA courses and got an offer from Aston and Cardiff. If anyone has any insights one which one would be most beneficial I would greatly appreciate it! Also, for the people that have knowledge of Aston, there is not much information on the course online. Anyone know how it works on a part-time basis and tidbits about the programme... :smile: I'm not from the UK and I am so scared that I am just in waaaay over my head, or that I am just getting my hopes up to find out that either the course is not as exciting as I made it out to be in my mind or that I will be blatantly suck at it!
Is anyone still around? I applied for the MA Forensic Linguistics as part-time at Aston and got an offer, but the information on the course is a bit scarce. Does anyone know about it? I also got offered a place at Cardiff, so if anyone has any insights on which one would be better I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not from the UK, in case that's relevant...
Does anyone still look at this thread? Does anybody have experience from this Masters course? Thanks!
Reply 30
POPTart can you let me know how the MA in Forensic Linguistics turned out as I'm thinking of doing it at Aston this year? thank you
Original post by sr03
POPTart can you let me know how the MA in Forensic Linguistics turned out as I'm thinking of doing it at Aston this year? thank you

Hey,

I'm thinking of doing this course but in Cardiff Uni. What are your thoughts on career prospects?
Reply 32
did you end up doing it? And what are you doing now? I am looking to do forensic linguistics at aston next september! Proper buzzed haha
Reply 33
I'm also looking to do Forensic Linguistics starting September. I have offers from both Aston and Cardiff, but don't really know which uni to choose. I have read some unfavourable things about Aston, so I'm leaning towards Cardiff. Would appreciate feedback from former or current students!
I got an offer from Aston and am pretty sure I'll accept it! Don't know what you've heard about Aston that's bad, because Birmingham is a pretty important place for linguistics internationally and lots of the people at the very forefront of FL founded the Centre for Forensic Linguistics at Aston :smile:
Reply 35
Hi I was just wondering if you went to Aston and if so how did you find it? I've applied to both Cardiff and Aston but I don't know which one to go to. Aston is closer but Cardiff is a prestigious university. So if you have any feedback on Aston or Cardiff I would love to hear it!

Quick Reply

Latest