The Student Room Group

Do you think euthanasia should be legalised in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moonstruck16
A cure to being brain dead?

Brain dead people are often on life support. Something I am against.
I think people should definitely be given the option! But there would need to be safeguards put in place to prevent the system from being abused.
At least this one is one stage forward and is studying for his A-levels :ahee:

Might get something a little more coherent and less fallacious hopefully :woo:
Original post by JMR2017
IVF is simply a different way of putting the sperm and egg together, which is a natural process.

It's an unnatural way. But oh wait, you're against unnatural things aren't you???!!
I need to go, I will answer your questions next time I am online.
Original post by JMR2017
Brain dead people are often on life support. Something I am against.

Ofc. Why are you against it again? Because it's unnaturally keeping someone alive even though it's a combination of lots of things that can be found in nature?
A cure to being brain dead?

There have been multiple 'miracle' recoveries of people who have been designated as brain dead. Doctors can be wrong.

For example; https://www.theguardian.com/science/2006/sep/12/health.healthandwellbeing
No, because clinics would see a large rise of people during results day.
Original post by JMR2017
I need to go, I will answer your questions next time I am online.

What a minute! Isn't communicating online unnatural?? You'll be going against your beliefs if you do!! :biggrin:
Original post by Kyou
There have been multiple 'miracle' recoveries of people who have been designated as brain dead. Doctors can be wrong.

For example; https://www.theguardian.com/science/2006/sep/12/health.healthandwellbeing

But most of the time they are right.

Also, I just read that article and let me highlight a key section for you:

"PVS is the result of irreparable damage to the cerebral cortex - the "thinking, feeling" part of the brain - but it is not to be confused with brain death. And while the "persistent" bit in the title indicates that the condition, unlike coma, is generally deemed permanent, there are intermittent reports of "recoveries"."
At least this one is one stage forward and is studying for his A-levels :ahee:

Looks like you're very mature. Your condescending attitude definitely helps your argument..
Original post by Kyou
Looks like you're very mature. Your condescending attitude definitely helps your argument..

Please reply to my previous comment, I can't wait to hear your interpretation of the article for your 'argument'.
Elective suicide as a complete last resort when there is a demonstrable and complete lack of any possibility for recovery, maybe. But as others do, I fear it may be the thin end of a wedge. What happens if a person is in a coma and can't decide, but has no apparent brain damage and thus would be able to decide if they could be brought out of it? Get the next of kin to decide? What about age cutoffs, justified by projected lifespan given a full recovery against cost of treatment?

In 30 years: oh yeah sorry I can't come out next week, taking grandma to be put down *sadface*

I don't want to live on this planet any more.
But most of the time they are right.

Also, I just read that article and let me highlight a key section for you:

"PVS is the result of irreparable damage to the cerebral cortex - the "thinking, feeling" part of the brain - but it is not to be confused with brain death. And while the "persistent" bit in the title indicates that the condition, unlike coma, is generally deemed permanent, there are intermittent reports of "recoveries"."

I concede that I was wrong on that point. I assumed that a vegetative state was akin to that of brain death, but I was mistaken.

However, there have been many reports of people deemed to be brain dead miraculously recovering.

Yes doctors are right most of the time. However, they're not infallible. There's always a chance of recovery. And I stand by that chance.
Original post by Kyou
x

Can you answer the below?

Original post by Meany Pie
That doesn't help the people who are already terminal.
Original post by Meany Pie
Can you answer the below?

People who've been deemed as 'terminal' and expected not to live more then a few weeks, have sometimes lived much much longer.
Original post by Kyou
I concede that I was wrong on that point. I assumed that a vegetative state was akin to that of brain death, but I was mistaken.

However, there have been many reports of people deemed to be brain dead miraculously recovering.

Yes doctors are right most of the time. However, they're not infallible. There's always a chance of recovery. And I stand by that chance.

Aren't we talking about people who are actually brain dead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyou
People who've been deemed as 'terminal' and expected not to live more then a few weeks, have sometimes lived much much longer.

But they can still be suffering in that time.

Do you wish for them to suffer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aren't we talking about people who are actually brain dead?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the page I listed, there are numerous instances of people being declared 'brain dead' and yet surviving.
Original post by Kyou
In the page I listed, there are numerous instances of people being declared 'brain dead' and yet surviving.

I'm not talking about people have been declared brain dead and recovering. I'm talking about the people who are brain dead. What's the cure to that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending