The Student Room Group

C3 AQA Trig identities

Given that x = sec ϴ+ tan ϴ show that x + 1/x = 2 sec ϴ
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Hirsty97

What have you tried? Please post your working.
I'd start by writing x=secθ+tanθ\displaystyle x = \sec\theta + \tan\theta as a single fraction. Remember that secθ=1cosθ\displaystyle \sec\theta = \frac 1 {\cos\theta} and tanθ=sinθcosθ\displaystyle \tan\theta = \frac {\sin\theta}{\cos\theta}. This'll make evaluating x+1x\displaystyle x + \frac 1 x slightly nicer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Notnek
What have you tried? Please post your working.

I don't know. I get sec ϴ + tan ϴ + 1/sec ϴ + tan ϴ. I figure I have to get it all as a single fraction
1/X is 1/sec(theta)+tan(theta). Multiply top and bottom by sectheta-tan theta and you will get sectheta-tantheta over sec^2theta-tan^2theta. And we know from the identity of tan^2+1=sec^2 that sec^2-tan^2=1. You simply substitute it in simplify and get your answer.

Try expressing (secϴ + tanϴ) as a single fraction. You know that secϴ = 1/cosϴand that tanϴ= sinϴ/cosϴ. Both of these have the same denominator, so you can group them together. To find 1/x, all you have to do is turn the whole fraction upside down.
Reply 6
Original post by Radioactivedecay
1/X is 1/sec(theta)+tan(theta). Multiply top and bottom by sectheta-tan theta and you will get sectheta-tantheta over sec^2theta-tan^2theta. And we know from the identity of tan^2+1=sec^2 that sec^2-tan^2=1. You simply substitute it in simplify and get your answer.

Textbook says first step is:

(Sec ϴ + tan ϴ)^2 + 1 / sec ϴ + tan ϴ

I get what to do then but the answer is apparently 2 sec ϴ
Textbook says first step is:

(Sec ϴ + tan ϴ)^2 + 1 / sec ϴ + tan ϴ

I get what to do then but the answer is apparently 2 sec ϴ

What did you do from there?
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
What did you do from there?

Expand the brackets

Then sec^2 ϴ = tan^2ϴ + 1

So you get sec^2ϴ + 2secϴtanϴ + sec^2ϴ \ secϴ + tanϴ

Which you can factories and cancel out to be left with 2 sec ϴ

I get that just not the first part to go from:
(Sec ϴ + tan ϴ) + 1/ sec ϴ + tan ϴ

To:
(Sec ϴ + tan ϴ) ^2 + 1/ sec ϴ + tan ϴ
(edited 6 years ago)
Expand the brackets

Then sec^2 ϴ = tan^2ϴ + 1

So you get sec^2ϴ + 2secϴtanϴ + sec^2ϴ \ secϴ + tanϴ

Which you can factories and cancel out to be left with 2 sec ϴ

I get that just not the first part to go from:
Sec ϴ + tan ϴ + 1/ sec ϴ + tan ϴ

To:
(Sec ϴ + tan ϴ) ^2 + 1/ sec ϴ + tan ϴ

(secθ+tanθ)+1secθ+tanθ=(secθ+tanθ)2secθ+tanθ+1secθ+tanθ=(secθ+tanθ)2+1secθ+tanθ\displaystyle (\sec\theta + \tan\theta) + \frac 1 {\sec\theta + \tan\theta} = \frac{(\sec\theta + \tan\theta)^2}{\sec\theta + \tan\theta} + \frac 1 {\sec\theta + \tan\theta} = \frac{(\sec\theta + \tan\theta)^2 + 1}{\sec\theta + \tan\theta}
Reply 10
Original post by _gcx
(secθ+tanθ)+1secθ+tanθ=(secθ+tanθ)2secθ+tanθ+1secθ+tanθ=(secθ+tanθ)2+1secθ+tanθ\displaystyle (\sec\theta + \tan\theta) + \frac 1 {\sec\theta + \tan\theta} = \frac{(\sec\theta + \tan\theta)^2}{\sec\theta + \tan\theta} + \frac 1 {\sec\theta + \tan\theta} = \frac{(\sec\theta + \tan\theta)^2 + 1}{\sec\theta + \tan\theta}

Yeah that's it. So I just multiply it by the denominator?
Reply 11
Yeah that's it. So I just multiply it by the denominator?

I wouldn't multiply by anything at this stage.

Expand the square bracket on the numerator and use a standard trig formula that relates tan^2 to sec^2.

Quick Reply

Latest