The Student Room Group

surjective function

isn't y=0.5x a surjective function?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends what the co domain is. If the function is say from RC \mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{C} then it is not surjective. A function is surjective if the range or image is equal to the co domain.
Original post by B_9710
Depends what the co domain is. If the function is say from RC \mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{C} then it is not surjective. A function is surjective if the range or image is equal to the co domain.

well it goes from R-->R
Reply 3
Original post by will'o'wisp2
well it goes from R-->R

Well in that case yes it is surjective, you should be able to prove it easily from the definition of surjective.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by B_9710
Well in that case yes it is surjective.

so far i'm looking for a function which is surjective but not surjective when squared

constants don't work, they're neither injective or surjective

fraction functions don't work like 1/x

minus function are pretty much the same as positive ones they just flip...

x \sqrt x???? square it, it's bijective but then i(root x)t fails the vertical line test .__.

i'm thinking still don't tell me an answer tho ^_^
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
so far i'm looking for a function which is surjective but not surjective when squared

constants don't work, they're neither injective or surjective

fraction functions don't work like 1/x

minus function are pretty much the same as positive ones they just flip...

x \sqrt x???? square it, it's bijective but then i(root x)t fails the vertical line test .__.

Remember that functions don't have to be defined for all values of R \mathbb{R} , functions can be defined on any subset of R indeed a finite subset as well.
Original post by B_9710
Remember that functions don't have to be defined for all values of R \mathbb{R} , functions can be defined on any subset of R indeed a finite subset as well.

but they do tho? like i can't choose 1/x right? cos it doesn't work in the realm of R-->R
Reply 7

Also x \sqrt x doesn't fail the vertical line test.
Reply 8
but they do tho? like i can't choose 1/x right? cos it doesn't work in the realm of R-->R

You could have a function f such that f(x)=1/x for all x in R except 0, and then not have f defined at 0. Or you could define f(0) to be whatever number you want -it's still a function.
Consider a function f:{1,1}{1,1},xx f:\{-1,1\}\rightarrow \{-1,1\}, x\mapsto x , this is a perfectly well defined function and is surjective (bijective in fact).
Original post by B_9710
Also x \sqrt x doesn't fail the vertical line test.

whoops sorry my bad :/

but it's still injective onl,,,,,, hol up wait no..... bum, it's still bijective tho cus hold up....... you stick -1 into that and it doesn't work so then it isn't surjective because i can pick a value of x that will go into root x but you can't get a y out so then it's injective?
Original post by B_9710
You could have a function f such that f(x)=1/x for all x in R except 0, and then not have f defined at 0. Or you could define f(0) to be whatever number you want -it's still a function.
Consider a function f:{1,1}{1,1},xx f:\{-1,1\}\rightarrow \{-1,1\}, x\mapsto x , this is a perfectly well defined function and is surjective (bijective in fact).

agreed but it doesn't fit in with the statement at hand which is

"if f:RRf:\mathbb R \Rightarrow \mathbb R is surjective, the so is g(x):=[f(x)]2g(x) :=[f(x)]^2"

what i need to find if this is true or false, i think it's false so i have to find 1 example only of which this doesn't work ..

"if f:RRf:\mathbb R \Rightarrow \mathbb R is surjective, the so is g(x):=[f(x)]2g(x) :=[f(x)]^2"

what i need to find if this is true or false, i think it's false so i have to find 1 example only of which this doesn't work ..

What happens if f(x) is negative?
Original post by Dalek1099
What happens if f(x) is negative?

still in the set of reals but it's pretty much just flipped

then again root x seems lke neither now tho cus it feels like if i pick any x value in the set of reals then for root x there's isn't always a y to correspond simply 1 to 1 or just a value(any will do).

I'm thinking modulus now
Reply 13

I didn't know the function had to be from R to R.
Why not take the most simple example I can think of, f(x)=x, in that case g(x)=x^2 which is not surjective on R.
Also xx x\mapsto \sqrt x is not a valid function from R to R.
Original post by B_9710
I didn't know the function had to be from R to R.
Why not take the most simple example I can think of, f(x)=x, in that case g(x)=x^2 which is not surjective on R.
Also xx x\mapsto \sqrt x is not a valid function from R to R.

that's the one i used for the previous question which had injective instead of surjective

i'm sure that means i gotta find a function of which surjective is a subset of it and a function which is injective only i'm thinking modulus now but ye root x don't work, it's not a function in R->R

x is bijective from R->R just pick any value of x and you pick the same value for y
now isn't injective bcus you have -1 and 1 which give out 1 the same value but 2 different inputs so that's just surjective

that's not wat i need, i was thinking x^3 and then x^6 but that's the same as x and x^2
still in the set of reals but it's pretty much just flipped

then again root x seems lke neither now tho cus it feels like if i pick any x value in the set of reals then for root x there's isn't always a y to correspond simply 1 to 1 or just a value(any will do).

I'm thinking modulus now

I'm not sure you are getting what surjective means it means that the image covers entirely the set that you choose for the codomain. Therefore, in your problem you need to choose a codomain so that this equals the image of f(x) so that it is surjective then you need to find real numbers like a lets say such that f(x)=a but there exists no x such that that f(x)^2=a and then since the image of f(x) equalled the codomain and so a is in the codomain then f(x)^2 doesn't equal the codomain.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
that's the one i used for the previous question which had injective instead of surjective

i'm sure that means i gotta find a function of which surjective is a subset of it and a function which is injective only i'm thinking modulus now but ye root x don't work, it's not a function in R->R

x is bijective from R->R just pick any value of x and you pick the same value for y
now isn't injective bcus you have -1 and 1 which give out 1 the same value but 2 different inputs so that's just surjective

that's not wat i need, i was thinking x^3 and then x^6 but that's the same as x and x^2

What is your question exactly - I'm not sure what you are trying to do.
Original post by Dalek1099
I'm not sure you are getting what surjective means it means that the image covers entirely the set that you choose for the codomain. Therefore, in your problem you need to choose a codomain so that this equals the image of f(x) so that it is injective then you need to find real numbers like a lets say such that f(x)=a but there exists no x such that that f(x)^2=a and then since the image of f(x) equalled the codomain and so a is in the codomain then f(x)^2 doesn't equal the codomain.

i don't think i do either :/ what i understood it to be as that for any x value i can pick out, there' s a corresponding y value which gives me that x value i just picked

i just don't then undertstand what it means for "its image to be equal to its co-domain" does it mean for R->R then that all the real numbers can come out of the function?
Original post by B_9710
What is your question exactly - I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

The question is, is

true or false?
Reply 19
The question is, is

true or false?

It's most certainly false, like i said take f:RR f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R} given by f(x)=x f(x)=x . Then f is surjective but f2 f^2 is not.

Quick Reply

Latest