The Student Room Group

What GCSE grades do I need to study chemistry for A level

I was just wondering what grades I need because I enjoy chemistry. But the highest grade I can get is a 5 because I have to do foundation paper and I don't think I'll be able to study chemistry with a 5.
i assume you're doing dual award , try and see if u can get ur teachers to move u to higher tier , i believe most colleges wants atleast a 6 in science
(edited 6 years ago)
It depends on the entry requirements at the sixth form/college you’re applying to. Can you not ask your school to enter you for the higher paper? If you show your determination to get a good grade and your enthusiasm for studying chemistry at A Level I’m sure they’ll let you?
Reply 3
Normally colleges ask for a grade B or above, not exactly sure what that will equate to with the new 9-1 system, but somewhere likely around that mark. It's a shame you have to do a foundation paper if you want to go on to study chemistry further, you should talk to your teachers and see if you can be moved to higher tier. Whether or not a college will let you study chemistry with a grade 5, it will be a very big jump up to A level, as it is anyway, even for people who will have Grade A and above.
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i assume you're doing dual award , try and see if u can get ur teachers to move u to higher tier , i believe most colleges wants atleast a 6 in science

Original post by vanessa-gouveia
It depends on the entry requirements at the sixth form/college you’re applying to. Can you not ask your school to enter you for the higher paper? If you show your determination to get a good grade and your enthusiasm for studying chemistry at A Level I’m sure they’ll let you?

We're having mocks in two weeks and then maybe they'll move me up into higher tier but I'm not definitely sure. And I don't know why I'm in the foundation tier anyway, I find it so easy.
Original post by Sifathussain
We're having mocks in two weeks and then maybe they'll move me up into higher tier but I'm not definitely sure. And I don't know why I'm in the foundation tier anyway, I find it so easy.

well then ace the mocks then there's no excuse for u not to be move to higher
Ok thank you for the advice. I am planning to get the best grade I can in mocks.

Quick Reply

Latest