The Student Room Group

Biochemistry without maths?

I’m currently in year 12 and studying biology, chemistry, history and french. I’m hoping to study biochemistry at university (possibly combined with french) but I know that some universities, particularly Oxford, which I’m hoping to apply to, often want maths as well.
I considered taking maths at A level, but decided that, as a pure subject, I just really didn’t enjoy it and, whilst I always did well in class, my exam results were too unpredictable for it to be a safe bet; in addition, I really love history and thought that I may as well take this chance to take it beyond GCSE, because I enjoy it.
I can do maths, and have an 8 in further maths at GCSE, but I was wondering if I should complete another maths course/ do some self -study to show that I can do the requisite maths for the course?
TL;DR: How necessary is maths really to be considered for biochemistry at Oxford/Imperial, and should I self-study more of it to improve my chances?
Reply 1
You don't need A level Maths.

Bath - AAB in three A levels including A in Biology and A in Chemistry.

Manchester - AAA-AAB, including grades AA in Chemistry and one of Biology, Physics and Mathematics

Birmingham - AAB to include A level Chemistry and a second science

Sheffield - AAB including Chemistry and a second science

Bristol - AAA including Chemistry and another core science/mathematics subject

East Anglia (UEA) - ABB including Chemistry.

Sussex - BBB including Chemistry

Etc etc.
Reply 2
Original post by user120384
defo try to do maths as it is good for unis in ur application.

i am a tutor myself and i can teach and help u with maths,bio and chem if u need as i got 2a* and 1 a in bio

Thanks, I’m not going to be able to do a maths qualification as I barely have enough time as it is to do 4 A levels, but do you think it would still help if I self-studied certain elements? Do you know what might be most important to learn?
Reply 3
Original post by squiddy135
Thanks, I’m not going to be able to do a maths qualification as I barely have enough time as it is to do 4 A levels, but do you think it would still help if I self-studied certain elements? Do you know what might be most important to learn?

See my post above - you don't NEED Maths.
Reply 4
From the Oxford Biochemistry webpage - https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/biochemistry-molecular-and-cellular

A-Level Requirements:
A*AA including Chemistry and another Science or Mathematics.

The A* must be in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry or Biology, or a very closely related subject

So, as long as you continue do Biology and Chemistry and can get an A* in one of these, you're eligible to apply without Maths.
Reply 5
Original post by dunnott
From the Oxford Biochemistry webpage - https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/biochemistry-molecular-and-cellular

A-Level Requirements:
A*AA including Chemistry and another Science or Mathematics.

The A* must be in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry or Biology, or a very closely related subject

So, as long as you continue do Biology and Chemistry and can get an A* in one of these, you're eligible to apply without Maths.

Thanks, I should be able to do that - I’ve spent a fair amount on that website but it’s good to hear from people that it isn’t (covertly) compulsory. I think I’ll still look through some stuff - demonstrate commitment and all that - but thanks, that’s reassuring.
Reply 6

i would say its better to focus on ur 3 a levels now rather than self study certain elements from maths. make sure u get good predicted grades and if u have any upcoming mocks and all.

good luck bro, dm if u need any other help.
Reply 7
I would drop History and focus on the other grades
Reply 8
Like the post above shows many doesn't need maths
I'm at Sheffield and they have an optional module for people who didn't do maths A-level to learn things such as logs so that they can understand the maths in the course so i think many unis might do something like that so I wouldn't worry about it
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
You don't need A level Maths.

Bath - AAB in three A levels including A in Biology and A in Chemistry.

Manchester - AAA-AAB, including grades AA in Chemistry and one of Biology, Physics and Mathematics

Birmingham - AAB to include A level Chemistry and a second science

Sheffield - AAB including Chemistry and a second science

Bristol - AAA including Chemistry and another core science/mathematics subject

East Anglia (UEA) - ABB including Chemistry.

Sussex - BBB including Chemistry

Etc etc.

Do I need math for Edinburgh?
So I am an Indian student and I had math till grade 10. I dropped math in grades 11 and 12 and chose physics, chemistry, biology, sculpture, and English instead.
I am interested in pursuing a bsc biochem and wondered if Edinburgh needed math for bsc biochem?
Reply 10
Original post by ape2006
Do I need math for Edinburgh?
So I am an Indian student and I had math till grade 10. I dropped math in grades 11 and 12 and chose physics, chemistry, biology, sculpture, and English instead.
I am interested in pursuing a bsc biochem and wondered if Edinburgh needed math for bsc biochem?

No you don’t. You need biology and chemistry, but not maths. I do biology, chemistry, history and french and got an offer from Edinburgh for biochem.
Reply 11
No you don’t. You need biology and chemistry, but not maths. I do biology, chemistry, history and french and got an offer from Edinburgh for biochem.

Oh great! Thank you so much for clarifying!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending