The Student Room Group

A level chemistry

I got my gcse results and I only got a 5 in Chem and I needed a 6 for 6 form. I got into psychology and bio however but I want to be a doctor/ go into medicine and I need chemistry. Can I still be a doctor without chemistry or is there any way I can do resits of chemistry gcse in november and then do the a level?? Or should I just abandon my dream? Very confused right now please help!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sonia917
I got my gcse results and I only got a 5 in Chem and I needed a 6 for 6 form. I got into psychology and bio however but I want to be a doctor/ go into medicine and I need chemistry. Can I still be a doctor without chemistry or is there any way I can do resits of chemistry gcse in november and then do the a level?? Or should I just abandon my dream? Very confused right now please help!!

i would say to ask your sixth form to let you try chem. you can be a doctor without chem i'm sure but i think it does make the application more competitive as chem is generally a helpful subject as it includes quite a bit of maths and knowledge that is required to understand more complex topics in biology.

i got a 6 in chem and ended up getting an A* at a levels this year if that gives you more confidence. i also started a levels with little knowledge in chemistry as i basically didn't do year 11 due to mental health issues. a level chemistry will be difficult at the start but it progressively gets easier imo. you can do it!!!!
Reply 2
Original post by jdjdhjdsl
i would say to ask your sixth form to let you try chem. you can be a doctor without chem i'm sure but i think it does make the application more competitive as chem is generally a helpful subject as it includes quite a bit of maths and knowledge that is required to understand more complex topics in biology.

i got a 6 in chem and ended up getting an A* at a levels this year if that gives you more confidence. i also started a levels with little knowledge in chemistry as i basically didn't do year 11 due to mental health issues. a level chemistry will be difficult at the start but it progressively gets easier imo. you can do it!!!!

Thanks for the Motivation but I already asked and they wouldn't let me. They said the jump would be "too big" for me to go from gcse chem to alevel chem even though I was only a couple marks of i believe of a 6. I even told them i could get an A in mocks to prove to them that i really am passionate about it (which i am, i just found the gcse test A LOT harder than mocks which i scored 7s/8s in) but they still disagreed. I think they just hate me 😭 maybe I can find a private tutor??
Reply 3
could you go to college instead - i think they normally have lower requirements than sixth form?
Thanks for the Motivation but I already asked and they wouldn't let me. They said the jump would be "too big" for me to go from gcse chem to alevel chem even though I was only a couple marks of i believe of a 6. I even told them i could get an A in mocks to prove to them that i really am passionate about it (which i am, i just found the gcse test A LOT harder than mocks which i scored 7s/8s in) but they still disagreed. I think they just hate me 😭 maybe I can find a private tutor??

that's really *****y?! i mean its somewhat of a jump but not like impossible. could you complain in any way? or like learn the a level stuff on your own and ask to do a test to show how much you know? try your hardest to get it, they would hopefully just let you try if you really really kept pushing for it.
Original post by misa!!
could you go to college instead - i think they normally have lower requirements than sixth form?

i think that's probs not a good idea if they're currently happy with the sixth form they will go to.
Reply 6
Original post by misa!!

The college near me only accepts grade 6 in sciences aswell,, Ive checked others and its all the same unfortunately
Reply 7
Original post by jdjdhjdsl
that's really *****y?! i mean its somewhat of a jump but not like impossible. could you complain in any way? or like learn the a level stuff on your own and ask to do a test to show how much you know? try your hardest to get it, they would hopefully just let you try if you really really kept pushing for it.

I have to go back on the 31st to sign a few things for 6 form and ill definitely argue with him again and try get my point across but considering that I spent a good 25 minutes telling him about my plans in the future that include chemistry and him telling me in "soft" words that I still can't do them I dont think I stand much a chance 😬 either way I think if I get A* in bio, psch and history + volunteering in hospitals for my statement thingy ( No idea what its called lol) then surely some university will accept me for medicine😭

Could you ask for a remark? They might find the couple of marks you need to turn it in to a 6 for you.
Reply 9
Original post by sailhorsegirl
Could you ask for a remark? They might find the couple of marks you need to turn it in to a 6 for you.

I could do but by the time It'll be marked and sent back to me I'll probably be half way in history yr12 ( subject I take now instead of chem) and im quite terrible at catching up. Hopefully good grades in the subjects I chose will allow me to get into med school still.
Reply 10
My grades at GCSE were supposed to be 7/7 (Combined Science) as I want to be a vet and nothing less is acceptable, I got 6/7 initially.
Whilst doing my A Level I arranged with the college to resit my Science Exams (6 papers) at a local senior school they have connections with.
It has been hard work and less free time than my friends and I have had to do all the learning myself.
Today I got the results of my GCSE resits and got 7/8 which is perfect for what Unis one and only one mark of an 8/8.

You can do the same and resit again next year while doing A Levels but start revising now as it gets very intense doing A Levels, homework and studying GCSEs.
Reply 11
Also be careful doing psychology as some unis do NOT see that as an A Level - I found out recently Cambridge doesnt.
Stick to regular subjects if you want a good chance at getting into medicine.
Reply 12
Most of my friends doing medicine all take 2 science subjects at A Level at least and often maths. Since it is highly competitive and many with 3 x A* in good subjects dont get accepted into uni trying to do it on your choices will be almost impossible. Some have to wait 3 years for a place at uni with good grades.
Reply 13
Original post by Googley2
My grades at GCSE were supposed to be 7/7 (Combined Science) as I want to be a vet and nothing less is acceptable, I got 6/7 initially.
Whilst doing my A Level I arranged with the college to resit my Science Exams (6 papers) at a local senior school they have connections with.
It has been hard work and less free time than my friends and I have had to do all the learning myself.
Today I got the results of my GCSE resits and got 7/8 which is perfect for what Unis one and only one mark of an 8/8.

You can do the same and resit again next year while doing A Levels but start revising now as it gets very intense doing A Levels, homework and studying GCSEs.

If you redo gcse chemistry does that mean you also have to do a level chem after or do they take that in as an equivalent?
I could do but by the time It'll be marked and sent back to me I'll probably be half way in history yr12 ( subject I take now instead of chem) and im quite terrible at catching up. Hopefully good grades in the subjects I chose will allow me to get into med school still.

tbh you might (as you asked in your first post) be better "abandon your dream" and look for something more realistic based on your grades?
Reply 15
If you redo gcse chemistry does that mean you also have to do a level chem after or do they take that in as an equivalent?

You definitely need A Level Chemistry at A or A* (minimum) as well as GCSE Chemistry at Grade 7 or higher.
It requires a lot of study and hard work to be able to achieve these grades as they are the top.
You wont get accepted at Uni with a B
If your not capable of an A in Chemistry than you will have to look at a different career.
Reply 16
Your totally dreaming to think that having an A Level in History will be acceptable to go into Vet Med, it wonts be even if its an A *
Reply 17
Original post by Googley2
Your totally dreaming to think that having an A Level in History will be acceptable to go into Vet Med, it wonts be even if its an A *

I understand why you think that but it’s been done before by people who used to be in my 6 form so it’s definitely possible
Reply 18
Go onto uni websites and look at the grades they require to go into medicine and the subjects. Without at least 2 sciences at A level you will have very little chance of getting into any uni. Also realise that for every med place at Uni there are 10 students fighting to get that seat, many have perfect A or A* grades in 2 sciences and maths. Why on earth would a Uni want to give you a place when you will only have 1 science, sorry you are just not being realistic.

The only way for you to proceed is to take a year out and resit your science GCSE. You need to get them at least to a 7 to be able to go onto A Levels or you will struggle so much. Then take Biology and Chemistry at A Level and study hard to pass them - they are very difficult. Once you can get A/A* in A Level than you can apply to uni. Otherwise listen to all the crap you like from others who have NOT got into Medicine the way they tell you. You seem very set on your way is the only way and you cant convince anyone but yourself of that.

BTW you are also wrong about remarks for GCSE, then are often done in 3 weeks!! You school calls for your papers, a teacher will look through them for any missing/wrong calculations and if they can find enough points then they can call for an appeal which will cost depending on exam board.
Reply 19
Also a 6 in Chem in no good for Uni, most require you to have at least a 7 - its highly competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest