The Student Room Group

2017 John Lewis Christmas advert is out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0lut0
'ostentatious' lol i'm adding that to my dictionary of words.

It's a pretentious word for pretentious!
It's an advert, that's all. Not really that newsworthy in my opinion. Or are we turning into Americans, where the Superbowl adverts are more important than the game itself.
Reply 22
M&S - White woman/black man

John Lewis - White woman/black man

Debenhams - White woman/black man

Hmm, I'm sensing some kind of pattern in these adverts, but just can't place my finger upon it......
Original post by fallen_acorns
not great.

Has the same problem as the one 2 years back.. (man on the moon one) which is that its not a Christmas story.

Its a story about a boy with a monster... that just happens to end at Christmas.

The problem with that is then your watching the first 25 minutes of the advert and not feeling christmassy at all.

Last years one was much better - the whole story was about a dad wanting to make his daughter happy on christmas, with humour from the animals.. christmas from start to finish. The pengiun one from a few years ago got away with it a bit better because penguins+snow feel a bit christmassy even before the advert moves on to christmas day.

off the top of my head my favourites are:

The robin coming home one - Mrs claus from last year - the penguin/boy - animal trampolines - world war 2 football

I think the world war 2 football one was Sainsbury’s (if someone hasn’t commented this already) but I too love that ad!
Original post by Hirsty97
It's a pretentious word for pretentious!

Doesn’t it mean showy?
Original post by zq01
Doesn’t it mean showy?

Yes. They are all synonyms with some nuances of context
I personally hated it this year. I feel like they're getting worse & worse lol

Edit: okay I watched it (out of curiosity). The kid was a good actor. I don't care about black people being featured in media, but the cliche black male white female couple has become passè and reeks of a desperate attempt to appear diverse for the sake of it.

Yeah it's cringey but it means social liberalism is baked into capitalism so it means the racists are consigned to the dustbin of history :five:
Tfw I've never been to john lewis :/
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yeah it's cringey but it means social liberalism is baked into capitalism so it means the racists are consigned to the dustbin of history :five:

Where are my Inuit/Polynesian couples?!
Where are my Inuit/Polynesian couples?!

The Inuits survived colonial racism largely in tact?
Interesting to see the right wingers moaning about a random black kid on twitter and the daily mail, never fail to make me laugh
I thought it was good but didn't get me excited about Christmas. I understand it was the end present that made the difference but watching him being tired and having fun playing with a monster all night didn't really excite me.

I absolutely loved the Snowman (2012)/Bear and Hare adverts (2013) but the past few years haven't been as good IMO.

I prefer the M&S Paddington Bear one I think.
I hate John Lewis adverts they are so ostentatious. I don't care.

Edit: okay I watched it (out of curiosity). The kid was a good actor. I don't care about black people being featured in media, but the cliche black male white female couple has become passè and reeks of a desperate attempt to appear diverse for the sake of it.

John Lewis sucks anyway. All my favourite clothes, cosmetics and fragrances come from Harvey Nichols.

Or maybe because interracial couples are actually common these days?

You assuming there's a diversity agenda is like me assuming you're just mad that black men are taking "your women" (the typical right wing mindset) but hey what do I know
Original post by offsetWHOOP
Or maybe because interracial couples are actually common these days?

You assuming there's a diversity agenda is like me assuming you're just mad that black men are taking "your women" (the typical right wing mindset) but hey what do I know

You are so unbelievably lame
pretentious upper class snobs talking to each other in Latin
Original post by 0lut0
'ostentatious' lol i'm adding that to my dictionary of words.

same lol, had to google that one
I'm personally looking forward to Sainsbury's advert. They haven't disappointed for the past three years.
M8 dis advert is s*** :colonhash:
Original post by Nalk1573
pretentious upper class snobs talking to each other in Latin

absit invidia

Quick Reply

Latest