The Student Room Group

H&M apologises over 'racist' image of black boy in hoodie

Scroll to see replies

Although I agree that people are being too sensitive, you'd think that H & M would've realised the problem with putting such a photo up...
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I just don't see why a huge company would purposely create discriminatory material to include in an advert. It defies all logic.

Racially offensive and racism are two totally different things. Something that's racially offensive can totally be made with the most innocent of intentions. The dictionary definition of racism means to discriminate against an individual or group based on their race. Intention to cause racial offence is required for something to be considered racist, whereas you can cause racial offence without discriminating against people or an individual. Discrimination and intent are synonymous, whereas causing offence can be done without intent.

Then you're making an assumption.

Someone can just as easily argue that there was a closeted racist who thought it could be funny to put a black child in a jumper that refers to him as a monkey. I mean, how much of an idiot can you be to do that anyway.

They're not different. This poster is racist, however perhaps the people behind the campaign may not be. Intention is irrelevant to whether or not something is racist. Go and look up the definition of racism.
Original post by ParkHyungSuk
I don't think it was intentionally racist but I do think it was a great oversight and stupid move on H&Ms part, I mean what were they thinking exactly? Lets get a little black boy and make him wear a cool monkey hoodie?

Ultimately with stuff like this, intent doesnt mattera huge deal. H&M dont get a free pass because there are people who cant fathom a racist campaigner in H&Ms ranks. It's all about face value.
Original post by merlynnn
Then you're making an assumption.

Someone can just as easily argue that there was a closeted racist who thought it could be funny to put a black child in a jumper that refers to him as a monkey. I mean, how much of an idiot can you be to do that anyway.

They're not different. This poster is racist, however perhaps the people behind the campaign may not be. Intention is irrelevant to whether or not something is racist. Go and look up the definition of racism.

It's very safe to make that assumption. Creating content like this to be viewed by the public is prepared by an entire team of people - to suggest that an entire team just happened to all be racist, would be ridiculous.

I've already explained the definition of racism to you, but perhaps Google it yourself? As I said, racism means discriminating based on race and discrimination requires intent. If the intention wasn't there, how can it be classed as discriminating against someone based on their race, i.e. racism???
Original post by Jebedee
As the SJWs were the first to make the connection between black people and monkeys. I'd say they are the racists.

Nope. It's just drawing the connection between a racial stereotype that black people are monkeys has been for centuries and this ad campaign.

Perhaps the right wingers who claim racism doesnt exist are just too stupid and lack the mental capacity to see that.
Reply 25
Very poor on the part of H&M. How did nobody stop and rethink the decision?
Reply 26
First of all, you can't assume there was no intention to discriminate. Second of all, racially offensive is the same thing as racist.

This is a complete non-point.

It's obvious what is happening here. H&M recognise that white nationalism will become a prevailing mainstream opinion within the next few years and thus are making subtle dog whistles towards their future market.

I am hearing rumours that alt-right figureheads are coming out and endorsing H&M as the "official clothes store of the alt-right and white nationalism".
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
It's very safe to make that assumption. Creating content like this to be viewed by the public is prepared by an entire team of people - to suggest that an entire team just happened to all be racist, would be ridiculous.

I've already explained the definition of racism to you, but perhaps Google it yourself? As I said, racism means discriminating based on race and discrimination requires intent. If the intention wasn't there, how can it be classed as discriminating against someone based on their race, i.e. racism???

An assumption is still an assumption.

Racism is much more broader. It can simply be prejudice as well. Also, an ad campaign is an inanimate thing, it cannot have intent itself. The ad campaign is racist. The people behind it may not be. How is this so hard for you to understand?
Nope. It's just drawing the connection between a racial stereotype that black people are monkeys has been for centuries and this ad campaign.

Perhaps the right wingers who claim racism doesnt exist are just too stupid and lack the mental capacity to see that.

No its drawing on the fact that children can be cheeky little monkeys.Its a common saying and has nothing to do with the child being black.Its clearly an oversight on their part.But it could just have easily being the white child wearing the monkey one.People just overthink things.Its not racism.
Original post by Wōden
It's obvious what is happening here. H&M recognise that white nationalism will become a prevailing mainstream opinion within the next few years and thus are making subtle dog whistles towards their future market.

I am hearing rumours that alt-right figureheads are coming out and endorsing H&M as the "official clothes store of the alt-right and white nationalism".

I dont know why you contribute to this forum. All you're able to do is regurgitate the sarcasm that your favourite alt right youtube personalities do. You're neither original nor clever. Bit sad really.
Original post by Robby2312
No its drawing on the fact that children can be cheeky little monkeys.Its a common saying and has nothing to do with the child being black.Its clearly an oversight on their part.But it could just have easily being the white child wearing the monkey one.People just overthink things.Its not racism.

doesnt take much thinking to connect the black child and the monkey really.
doesnt take much thinking to connect the black child and the monkey really.

It doesn't take much thinking to connect any child to a monkey really.You know why? Because humans are apes.
Reply 32
Intent is crucial, and I highly doubt there was any racist intention, but it is very surprising that this was not spotted. I couldn't care less about people being offended by something this trivial, but H&M certainly ought to be thinking about such things.
Original post by Robby2312
It doesn't take much thinking to connect any child to a monkey really.You know why? Because humans are apes.

You'd be right if you completely ignore historic racial discourse associated with black people and monkeys.
Reply 34
Whiny *****es.
An assumption is still an assumption.

Racism is much more broader. It can simply be prejudice as well. Also, an ad campaign is an inanimate thing, it cannot have intent itself. The ad campaign is racist. The people behind it may not be. How is this so hard for you to understand?

Without facts, we have to make assumptions. You're doing the same thing. It should be clear to see, however, that my assumption is a lot more likely to stand true than yours is, due to the fact that the entire advertising team being racist is incredibly unlikely.

I don't see how it's hard for you to understand tbh. The definition is staring you right in the face. Prejudice also requires intent.
This logic is ridiculous, but I'll roll with it. So, if an inanimate thing cannot have intent, then how can it be racist? I don't see why it's so tough to comprehend that the very nature of racism implies that it has to be intentional, due to the fact that things like discrimination and prejudice have to be intentional and racism means to discriminate or display prejudice toward someone based on their race. There's only so many times I can keep repeating this.
Reply 36
I dont know why you contribute to this forum. All you're able to do is regurgitate the sarcasm that your favourite alt right youtube personalities do. You're neither original nor clever. Bit sad really.

I'm being deadly serious. And look, I have yet more evidence that H&M are secret fascists.

Here is the owner of the chain, Stefan Persson, performing what looks suspiciously like a Nazi salute. His hand has been conveniently cropped out to make it appear that he was just waving, but I bet you any money his hand was a straight as a board.

The racists are the ones that can't look at a little black boy with monkey on his chest and not see it as refering to him.
What next, can't show a black kid eating bananas?
Well it is not racist. It is a kid wearing a jumper....right?
(edited 6 years ago)
You'd be right if you completely ignore historic racial discourse associated with black people and monkeys.

I'm not ignoring it but this isn't the 16 th century anymore.Nor is it trigger happy america.This is the 21st century uk (in which everyone is apparently hypersensitive) and I'd like to think we've made a little bit of progress on racism.The president of the USA was black,the mayor of london is muslim and honestly there is far less racism than there used to be.For a massive company to put out an advertising brand comparing little black boys to monkeys is silly.They would destroy their reputation and lose tons of money.I don't think it makes any sense that they would do it deliberately. Clearly someone didn't think it through.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending