The Student Room Group

H&M apologises over 'racist' image of black boy in hoodie

Scroll to see replies

Monkey has been used to refer to black people for years.
If anyone calls me or refers to me as a monkey - they are racist.
No ifs, no buts.
very silly on their part
I'll tell you what is racist, all of you who think you are good and just and then continue to make the link between a black boy and a monkey.
Original post by merlynnn
First of all, you can't assume there was no intention to discriminate. Second of all, racially offensive is the same thing as racist.

This is a complete non-point.

and you can't state that they were being racist either, it's your assumption, you suppose they are being racist without PROOF
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Without facts, we have to make assumptions. You're doing the same thing. It should be clear to see, however, that my assumption is a lot more likely to stand true than yours is, due to the fact that the entire advertising team being racist is incredibly unlikely.

I don't see how it's hard for you to understand tbh. The definition is staring you right in the face. Prejudice also requires intent.
This logic is ridiculous, but I'll roll with it. So, if an inanimate thing cannot have intent, then how can it be racist? I don't see why it's so tough to comprehend that the very nature of racism implies that it has to be intentional, due to the fact that things like discrimination and prejudice have to be intentional and racism means to discriminate or display prejudice toward someone based on their race. There's only so many times I can keep repeating this.

The problem with you is that you're pedantic. Racism and intent are two separate things. If you do or say something racist, but claim it wasnt intentional then by your silly logic that means the original action is no longer racist.

The effect of an action takes precedent over the intent. In this case, the ad campaign may be accidentally racist but its racist nonetheless.
Who cares?

Even the sjw’s who are complaining are only pretending to care.

This country is totally atomised, balkanised even, by cultural, racial and ethnic divisions and the entire national conversation on the subject revolves around kid’s hoodies.

Pathetic.
Original post by Wōden
I'm being deadly serious. And look, I have yet more evidence that H&M are secret fascists.

Here is the owner of the chain, Stefan Persson, performing what looks suspiciously like a Nazi salute. His hand has been conveniently cropped out to make it appear that he was just waving, but I bet you any money his hand was a straight as a board.

Which of your idols are you desperately copying? I'll have a guess and say PJW.
Original post by sehun123
and you can't state that they were being racist either, it's your assumption, you suppose they are being racist without PROOF

I never said that they were racist. I said the picture was. Read.
Reply 48
I think it’s mainly that the black boy is wearing the monkey jumper and the white boy, the survival expert one. Can’t you at least see why some people would be offended?
Original post by lonyeka
I think it’s mainly that the black boy is wearing the monkey jumper and the white boy, the survival expert one. Can’t you at least see why some people would be offended?

Yea we can see that some people would be offended, some small-minded, closeted racist, no fun having, gender bending, political correcting, boring ass people would be offended
First of all, you can't assume there was no intention to discriminate.

why would they intend to discriminate against him?? you think they would use a black child in their advert in order to racial abuse him? makes no sense.
Reply 51
Original post by rubbishatgcse
Yea we can see that some people would be offended, some small-minded, closeted racist, no fun having, gender bending, political correcting, boring ass people would be offended

I’m black and I found it really distasteful and my friends thought the same. We aren’t ‘closeted racist, no fun having, gender bending, political correcting, boring ass people‘. We actually very fun loving, lit people :h:
Original post by applesforme
why would they intend to discriminate against him?? you think they would use a black child in their advert in order to racial abuse him? makes no sense.

At the same time I'd hope no one's idiotic enough to choose that jumper for the black kid when theyre a major retailer.

Always two sides to the coin.
And if he was white it would be fine.
Reply 54
Which of your idols are you desperately copying? I'll have a guess and say PJW.

Puuurlease! His humour is nowhere near as witty and refined as mine.
Original post by Wōden
Puuurlease! His humour is nowhere near as witty and refined as mine.

I mean it's literally identical. At least he's original and funny sometimes.
The only racists in this situation are the people who saw a correlation between the boys' skin colour and the writing on the hoodie. If you are not racist , you shouldn't even care about someone's skin colour.
Original post by lonyeka
I’m black and I found it really distasteful and my friends thought the same. We aren’t ‘closeted racist, no fun having, gender bending, political correcting, boring ass people‘. We actually very fun loving, lit people :h:

Funny because I'm black and I did not care one bit and i wasn't boring enough to find it 'distasteful'. Just grow a pair and stop getting offended over everything, there are more serious issues around the world.
Reply 58
Original post by rubbishatgcse
Funny because I'm black and I did not care one bit and i wasn't boring enough to find it 'distasteful'. Just grow a pair and stop getting offended over everything, there are more serious issues around the world.

Kk. That’s you. Maybe you haven’t been called a monkey in a pejorative way before.
(edited 6 years ago)
At the same time I'd hope no one's idiotic enough to choose that jumper for the black kid when theyre a major retailer.

Always two sides to the coin.

always many sides to the coin, like others have said maybe the boy himself really liked that jumper and wanted to wear it, or maybe the colour suited him the best. everybody uses the phrase "cheeky monkey" especially towards kids or are we going to be banning that phrase from schools as well when someone (white) cries racism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending