The Student Room Group

Expressing trig identities

Express:

(cosx - sinx)2 in terms of sin2x
I expanded the brackets and got the answer to just be cos2x, I cant seem to think how I could express it in terms of sin2x.

cos4x - sin4x in terms of cos2x
I got the answer to be cos2(2x) but the book says the answer is just cos2x
Original post by znx
Express:

I expanded the brackets and got the answer to just be cos2x, I cant seem to think how I could express it in terms of sin2x.

I got the answer to be cos2(2x) but the book says the answer is just cos2x

Not quite correct. Expansion is cos2x2cosxsinx+sin2x\cos^2x - 2\cos x \sin x + \sin^2 x

Secondly, note that cos4xsin4x(cos2xsin2x)2\cos^4 x - \sin^4 x \neq (\cos^2 x - \sin^2 x )^2. Rather, cos4xsin4x=(cos2xsin2x)(cos2x+sin2x)\cos^4 x - \sin^4 x=(\cos^2x - \sin^2 x )(\cos^2 x + \sin^2 x)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Not quite correct. Expansion is cos2x2cosxsinx+sin2x\cos^2x - 2\cos x \sin x + \sin^2 x

Secondly, note that cos4xsin4x(cos2xsin2x)2\cos^4 x - \sin^4 x \neq (\cos^2 x - \sin^2 x )^2. Rather, cos4xsin4x=(cos2xsin2x)(cos2x+sin2x)\cos^4 x - \sin^4 x=(\cos^2x - \sin^2 x )(\cos^2 x + \sin^2 x)

so (cos2x - sin2x)(cos2x + sin2x) = (cos(2x))(cos(2x)) = cos2(2x)?
Original post by znx
so (cos2x - sin2x)(cos2x + sin2x) = (cos(2x))(cos(2x)) = cos2(2x)?

cos2x+sin2xcos(2x)\cos^2x + \sin^2 x \neq \cos(2x)
Express:

a) You'd get cos^2(x) + sin^2(x) - 2sin(x)cos(x). What do you notice about cos^2(x) + sin^2(x) and the -2sin(x)cos(x). What identities are these?

b) cos4x - sin4x = [cos^2(x) + sin^2(x)][cos^2(x)-sin^2(x]. Look at the 2 brackets. You know the first equals 1 and the second equals cos(2x). So 1cos(2x) = ... ?
Reply 5

Oh yeah its just 1, so the answer would just be cos2x, thanks again mate :smile:

How do you do that fancy text again?
Original post by Bulletzone
How do you do that fancy text again?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/latex
Reply 8
Original post by thekidwhogames
Express:

a) You'd get cos^2(x) + sin^2(x) - 2sin(x)cos(x). What do you notice about cos^2(x) + sin^2(x) and the -2sin(x)cos(x). What identities are these?

b) cos4x - sin4x = [cos^2(x) + sin^2(x)][cos^2(x)-sin^2(x]. Look at the 2 brackets. You know the first equals 1 and the second equals cos(2x). So 1cos(2x) = ... ?

Thank you mate, managed to get both right answers

Quick Reply

Latest