The Student Room Group

Help !! Maths c2 question on series and sequence

HEY :P

I was doing this question
When a ball is dropped onto a horizontal floor it bounces such that it reaches a maximum height
of 60% of the height from which it was dropped.

a )Find the maximum height the ball reaches after its fourth bounce when it is initially dropped from 3 metres above the floor.

after 4th bounce,
reaches 3 × (0.6)^4
= 0.3888 m

im confused,is it arithmetic or geometric ,when i tried it i assumed it would be geometric but then the power would be to 3 so im wrong

b) Show that when the ball is dropped from a height of h metres above the floor it travels a total distance of 4h metres before coming to rest.

total distance
= h + 2[0.6h + (0.6)^2
h + (0.6)^3
h + …]
= h + 2 × S∞ of GP, a = 0.6h, r = 0.6
= h + 2 0.6
1 0.6
× h

= h + 3h = 4h metres

could someone explain the second part to me as well :tongue:

Thank you ,
i would really appreciate the help as im really confused on this question
:tongue:
Original post by Sadilla
HEY :P

I was doing this question
When a ball is dropped onto a horizontal floor it bounces such that it reaches a maximum height
of 60% of the height from which it was dropped.

a )Find the maximum height the ball reaches after its fourth bounce when it is initially dropped from 3 metres above the floor.

after 4th bounce,
reaches 3 × (0.6)^4
= 0.3888 m

im confused,is it arithmetic or geometric ,when i tried it i assumed it would be geometric but then the power would be to 3 so im wrong

This is fine, it is indeed a geometric progression for the sequence of heights.

After 0 bounces: 33
After 1 bounce: 30.63\cdot 0.6
After 2 bounces: 30.623 \cdot 0.6^2
After n bounces: 30.6n3 \cdot 0.6^n

b) Show that when the ball is dropped from a height of h metres above the floor it travels a total distance of 4h metres before coming to rest.

total distance
= h + 2[0.6h + (0.6)^2
h + (0.6)^3
h + …]
= h + 2 × S∞ of GP, a = 0.6h, r = 0.6
= h + 2 0.6
1 0.6
× h

= h + 3h = 4h metres

could someone explain the second part to me as well :tongue:

Thank you ,
i would really appreciate the help as im really confused on this question
:tongue:

When a ball is dropped, it goes down a distance of h metres. So we have T=hT=h so far as the total distance. When it bounces, it comes back up to a height 0.6h0.6h before travelling down to the ground a total distance of 0.6h0.6h as well. So the total distance now is T=h+0.6h+0.6h=h+2h(0.6)T=h+0.6h+0.6h = h+2h(0.6). Similarly, after the second bounce, it will travel a distance of 2(0.62h)2\cdot (0.6^2h) hence we have T=h+2h(0.6+0.62)T=h+2h(0.6+0.6^2) and so on.

We are looking at what we get when the ball becomes at rest, ie when we sum all these bounces which yields an infinite sum.

We get: h+2h(0.6+0.62+0.63+...)h+2h(0.6+0.6^2+0.6^3+...) which we can calculate by the infinite GP sum formula.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
This is fine, it is indeed a geometric progression for the sequence of heights.

After 0 bounces: 3
After 1 bounce: 30.63\cdot 0.6
After 2 bounces: 0.30.620.3 \cdot 0.6^2
After n bounces: 0.30.6n0.3 \cdot 0.6^n

thank you , you said for the 2 bounces it 0.3 x(0.6)^2 but then how comes the 1st bounce was 3x0=0.6 ? so how comes its 3 and then 0.3 ?
Original post by Sadilla

thank you , you said for the 2 bounces it 0.3 x(0.6)^2 but then how comes the 1st bounce was 3x0=0.6 ? so how comes its 3 and then 0.3 ?

Ooops, sorry, got derailed. Fixed now.
Reply 4
Ooops, sorry, got derailed. Fixed now.

its okay ;p , i was also confused as to why the it goes back down the second time its still 2h ?
Original post by Sadilla
its okay ;p , i was also confused as to why the it goes back down the second time its still 2h ?

What are you referring to?
Reply 6
What are you referring to?

when you said before travelling back down and has height 0.6h , how comes it not times by 0.6 as its 60% of that height ?
Original post by Sadilla
when you said before travelling back down and has height 0.6h , how comes it not times by 0.6 as its 60% of that height ?

Because it hasn't bounced yet...

A ball hit the ground, bounces back up to a height of 0.6h then it falls down the same amount of 0.6h before hitting the ground again and bouncing. Get it?

Quick Reply

Latest