The Student Room Group

Grade Needed For Physics For A-Level?

If I was to choose physics as an option for A-Level, what grade do I need to achieve in my GCSE results in order to be allowed to do it?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Y11_Maths
If I was to choose physics as an option for A-Level, what grade do I need to achieve in my GCSE results in order to be allowed to do it?
Thanks

At most institutions they require a B or above in any subject you take. Some places require an A and others may accept you with a lower grade depending on how popular the course has been. Investigate each separate college or sixth form because they should advertise their policy on there.
A/A*, even A* students struggle with A level physics. Evidently at my private institution (one would assume that paying a greater amount of money would equate to better intellectuals, obviously false) we initially started with 9 students, however we have fallen to only 4. Surprisingly we have had many bright students who were astonishing brilliant at physics, either becoming within the top 3 in class exams, though the pressure and emphasis of 4 A levels encouraged them to drop 1.
Original post by Science99999
A/A*, even A* students struggle with A level physics. Evidently at my private institution (one would assume that paying a greater amount of money would equate to better intellectuals, obviously false) we initially started with 9 students, however we have fallen to only 4. Surprisingly we have had many bright students who were astonishing brilliant at physics, either becoming within the top 3 in class exams, though the pressure and emphasis of 4 A levels encouraged them to drop 1.

I’m currently working at a grade 5 in physics, what would you advise?
Original post by Y11_Maths
I’m currently working at a grade 5 in physics, what would you advise?

Do loads of practice/past papers in order to establish a feel for the exam. Under the recommendation of professional and qualified teachers, in addition to exam officers for exam boards, they highy advise doing past papers since the majority of questions have the similar style. No one cares if you understand, although helpful, you just want to say the highlighter words which signpost marks.

Some unprofessional teachers hate students using mark schemes and past papers, however these are the unsuccesful and most abnoxious ones, who clearly have prejudice towards the plethora of open resources; envy successful students or simply do not know how to effectively revise. Cough*

Ignore these teachers who advise not to, they are irrelevant. Focus on your grade to conform your future, do past papers.

Quick Reply

Latest