The Student Room Group

Trouble picking A-Levels

I'm currently doing Maths, Physics and Biology A-levels and i want to do a degree somewhere within the tech industry. My school doesn't offer the further maths, philosophy or computer science a-levels so i'm wondering what would be a good third a-level option for this career path. Is biology a good choice, or should i switch it to something like psychology which is like writing and stuff? please help :,)
Original post by 3uddha
I'm currently doing Maths, Physics and Biology A-levels and i want to do a degree somewhere within the tech industry. My school doesn't offer the further maths, philosophy or computer science a-levels so i'm wondering what would be a good third a-level option for this career path. Is biology a good choice, or should i switch it to something like psychology which is like writing and stuff? please help :,)

Id look at the courses you are interested in on the unis websites to see what (if any) subjects they specify.
Apart from any subjects they may specify, id do whatever subjects you like the most and think you will get the best grades in.
Reply 2
If you are not sure about a degree subject, always pick the subjects you will enjoy studying - don't start nebulous thinking about 'what would look-good' etc.

Three solid sciences would leave a hundred different degree subjects open to you - and 'A level Psychology' isnt essential for any degree subject, including Psychology.
Original post by 3uddha

Do you mean tech by programming and computing? If so you can go in with just A Levels. On the other hand, some people say you should supplement your CV with a degree.

If you want to do a degree, then you should do computer science (or possibly software engineering). In some cases, should you wish to go more into computer engineering, you can do a degree in computer engineering or electronic/electrical engineering.
If you want to do computer science or software engineering, you would need A Level Maths + 2 other A Levels of your choice (computer science is not essential at A Level). If you want to go down the engineering route, then you need to pick physics and maths + one other A Level of your choice.

If you're asking whether biology is a good complement to maths and physics, I wouldn't say so. However, it's a good A Level nevertheless. Whatever the choice, you need to get a high grade in the subject so it's kind of down to you.
The subjects that I think are better complements to maths and physics (if they are available at your college) include: economics and chemistry. Further maths and computer science would have been fine alternatives should they be available. Having said that, there's little point in picking these subjects if you can't get high grades in them, since they're not required subjects. If you can get a higher grade in say French, then pick French even if it's not a good match/complement for the other subjects; the grade would ultimately matter more than the fit in this scenario.
The only case you would be wary of picking any random 3rd subject is if you have second thoughts about going into tech and want to keep your options open to other jobs or degrees. In which case, you would need to look at the requirements for entering the industry as well as the entry requirements of the degrees (if applicable) to enter the industry.
Reply 4
Not Going to Uni - other ways into careers - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
Apprenticeship search - https://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/apprentices
Careers in the Royal Navy - scroll down - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/Role-finder

Quick Reply

Latest