The Student Room Group

I’m so so lost and I don’t know what to do

I want to be an environmental engineer and that requires maths, chem and geography apparently and theses were my original subjects the I added physics plus it’s compulsory to take English so right now I’m doing five subjects for alevel and it feels like I bit off more than I could chew because I’m not really doing well . In fact my worst subject right now is chem which was my best subject at igcse but it’s gotten so bad in chemistry that I was called into the office to discuss my grades . I was told I could keep on doing five subjects but I have to step up but I’m always busy with one of these five it’s so frustrating . Everyone is telling me to drop geography and just do the basic maths physics and chemistry but I don’t know why I’m scared and ie actually formed an attachment with geography . It looks like I should drop physics but it’s the mother of invention and my parents won’t go for that . I really need help . What should I do . Chem or no chem ?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Lost_in_alevels
I want to be an environmental engineer and that requires maths, chem and geography apparently and theses were my original subjects the I added physics plus it’s compulsory to take English so right now I’m doing five subjects for alevel and it feels like I bit off more than I could chew because I’m not really doing well . In fact my worst subject right now is chem which was my best subject at igcse but it’s gotten so bad in chemistry that I was called into the office to discuss my grades . I was told I could keep on doing five subjects but I have to step up but I’m always busy with one of these five it’s so frustrating . Everyone is telling me to drop geography and just do the basic maths physics and chemistry but I don’t know why I’m scared and ie actually formed an attachment with geography . It looks like I should drop physics but it’s the mother of invention and my parents won’t go for that . I really need help . What should I do . Chem or no chem ?

Do you need all three subjects to be an environmental engineer?

if you are really struggling with chem, you can drop it if you want but if you need it to do environmental engineering i highly recommend perhaps revising chemistry more than the other subjects for now so you see an improvement!
Reply 3

Look at the a levels that you need to be an enviromental engineer and then drop the one (s) that you feel you cant juggle according to that.
Reply 4
Original post by emm4nuella
if you are really struggling with chem, you can drop it if you want but if you need it to do environmental engineering i highly recommend perhaps revising chemistry more than the other subjects for now so you see an improvement!

This is great advise and I fully agree. Focus on the one you need and if it isnt needed then drop it if you feel as though it is pulling you back.
Reply 5

If you end up not getting the grades for the corse always have a look at the foundation options. Just as an example if you needed a B in mathematics for engineering but only had a C you might be offered a foundation year where they bridge that gap and bring you up to speed for the corse. You might also find you’ll be better off than the students who went straight in.
Taking 5 A levels is madness. All universities make offers on 3. Concentrate on 3 to get your best grades. That is what you need for university.

Here are the required subjects for Environmental Engineering for Nottingham

including Mathematics and including one of Chemistry or Physics

Here is the required subjects for Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cardiff

A level - AAA - AAB
Including grade A in Maths

and for Civil and Engineering at Leeds

A level - AAA
AAA, including Mathematics

You dont need Chemistry. You can drop it and there is no need for English despite what your school says.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest