The Student Room Group

Bad A level grades, what should I do?

So I just got my AS level results back and I got BCE. I took art, maths and physics. I got the E for physics and I don't know what to do cuz I'm from Wales and AS grades are counted for the overall A level grade. What should I do?
call up tons of places for uni and beg. say you had extenuating circumstances/whatever. worst case resit physics.

what degree are you looking to do
Reply 2
Original post by scythe2003
call up tons of places for uni and beg. say you had extenuating circumstances/whatever. worst case resit physics.

Hey, I really want to go into graphic design but if I wanted to resist physics, I can only resist one unit which will only bring me up to like a D or C
Original post by Tann132
Hey, I really want to go into graphic design but if I wanted to resist physics, I can only resist one unit which will only bring me up to like a D or C

I think a lot of places will want you to have passed 3 a levels. A C would really open up your options.

You could also ask if you could do a foundation year, if that's something you would be interested in.
Original post by Tann132
So I just got my AS level results back and I got BCE. I took art, maths and physics. I got the E for physics and I don't know what to do cuz I'm from Wales and AS grades are counted for the overall A level grade. What should I do?

Hi @Tann132 I’m sorry you’re disappointed with your results. The best thing to do is probably to get in contact with some of the universities that you’re interested in going to and checking their websites for entrance requirements/order their prospectuses. There are lots of options out there!

However, if you don't think the courses available with those grades are right for you, you could consider resiting one of your physics modules or resit after your A levels.

Either way please try not to worry- you've still got another year to bring your grades up to the best they can be!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 5
Yeh I guess so, what is a foundation year?
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Tann132 I’m sorry you’re disappointed with your results. The best thing to do is probably to get in contact with some of the universities that you’re interested in going to and checking their websites for entrance requirements/order their prospectuses. There are lots of options out there!

However, if you don't think the courses available with those grades are right for you, you could consider resiting one of your physics modules or resit after your A levels.

Either way please try not to worry- you've still got another year to bring your grades up to the best they can be!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thank you so much, this was really helpful x
Original post by Tann132
Yeh I guess so, what is a foundation year?

basically you'd start from year zero rather than year 1. it adds a year to your degree and it that year you won't really be learning anything from your degree but rather 'basics' to prove you're ready for the course.

a lot of unis though have a lot of spaces available and if you're course isn't competitive they may let you in. really just call everywhere possible, see if you can get in (sound desperate) if not ask if they'd let you do a foundation year. make a list of places that say yes and decide from that.
Reply 8

These are AS grades - you need A levels!
Original post by Muttley79
These are AS grades - you need A levels!

yikes I missed that!
Reply 10
basically you'd start from year zero rather than year 1. it adds a year to your degree and it that year you won't really be learning anything from your degree but rather 'basics' to prove you're ready for the course.

a lot of unis though have a lot of spaces available and if you're course isn't competitive they may let you in. really just call everywhere possible, see if you can get in (sound desperate) if not ask if they'd let you do a foundation year. make a list of places that say yes and decide from that.

Oh that sounds okay, thank u so much x
Original post by Tann132
Thank you so much, this was really helpful x

You need to finish your A levels and resit what you can :smile:

I think the other posters think you have A levels ...
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
You need to finish your A levels and resit what you can :smile:

I think the other posters think you have A levels ...

Okay, thank you so much 👍

Quick Reply

Latest