The Student Room Group

What can be made in a single step from benzene?

81.PNG
Can somebody help please? Answer is B
Reply 1
methylbenzene

Through friedel-Crafts Alkylation
Reply 2
Original post by Lia22
methylbenzene

Through friedel-Crafts Alkylation

isn't friedel craft 2 steps though: creating the carbocation and then substituting on benzene?
Also why not the other?
Phenol formation through biotransformation , involving Cytochrome P450E1, although the hydroxyl radical hydroxyaltes benzene to yield phenol. But, the hydroxyl radical derives from hydrogen peroxide. Pheno formation can only then occur, through hydroxyl radical-mediated formation, involving addition of a hydroxyl radical to the benzene ring. Perhaps this is 2 or even 3 steps?
Benzene + a hydroxyl radical = phenol.

There is an alternative mechanism which involes a two step process, in which benzene oxide is the first product, which can reaarrange non-enzymatically to form phenol, it is known as the Benzene oxide-oxepin system.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Science99999
Phenol formation through biotransformation , involving Cytochrome P450E1, although the hydroxyl radical hydroxyaltes benzene to yield phenol.

There is an alternative mechanism which involes a two step process, in which benzene oxide is the first product, which can reaarrange non-enzymatically to form phenol, it is known as the Benzene oxide-oxepin system.

I am still a bit confused. Could you please explain it to me in A level standard? would be much appreciated
Reply 5
Interesting yes. Well we know phenyl amine has to be made from benzene nitrate which is made from benzene, not 1 step.
Phenol can be made from substitution from chlorobenzene, so this is also not 1 step.
Benzoic acid can be made in friedel-crafts acylation and then you'd have to remove the methyl group and substitute in an -OH group, hence more than 1 step, and methylbenzene, friedel-crafts alkylation, which will not require a 2nd 'major step'
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Science99999
Phenol formation through biotransformation , involving Cytochrome P450E1, although the hydroxyl radical hydroxyaltes benzene to yield phenol. But, the hydroxyl radical derives from hydrogen peroxide. Pheno formation can only then occur, through hydroxyl radical-mediated formation, involving addition of a hydroxyl radical to the benzene ring. Perhaps this is 2 or even 3 steps?

What about substituting in -OH from chlorobenzene, which is more easily formed?
Original post by Kalabamboo
I am still a bit confused. Could you please explain it to me in A level standard? would be much appreciated

The initial metabolic pathway for benzene biotransformation begins with phenol formation. Cytochrome P450/2E1 can produce hydrogen peroxide when acting as an oxidase of Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADPH). NADPH is a cofactor used in anabolic reactions such as lipid and nucleic acid synthesis, donating electrons (reducing agent) and hydrogen atoms . The hydroxyl radicals formed from hydrogen peroxide can hydroxylate benzene to yield phenol, through hydroxyl radical-mediated phenol formation, involving addition of a hydroxyl radical to the benzene ring. Phenol formation may also occur during rearrangement of benzene oxide.

Im in year 12: This was my essay I made regarding Benzene Oxidase: An enzyme which causes the transfer of a hydrogen atom from a specific substrate to an oxygen molecule, forming water or hydrogen peroxide.
Original post by BDunlop
Interesting yes. Well we know phenyl amine has to be made from benzene nitrate which is made from benzene, not 1 step.
Phenol can be made from substitution from chlorobenzene, so this is also not 1 step.
Benzoic acid can be made in friedel-crafts acylation and methylbenzene, friedel-crafts alkylation..there must be some difference in the relative ease of forming methylbenzene over acylation of benzene, else i can't think how it could be '1 step' over acylation.

Although phenol can be made through hydroxyl radical-mediated addition where a hydroxyl radical is added to the the benzene ring, to yield phneol.
Reply 9
Thanks guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest