The Student Room Group

Why are offers I’m getting higher than ‘typical’ offers?

I’m predicted AAA and universities I’m applying to say this or lower is their typical offer. Eg. I just got an offer for A*AA at Exeter which says typical for my course is AAA-AAB. Is this normal?
No what course is this for. Have they increased their offer recently. Do you not have a required subject.
Reply 2
Have you checked the 'typical offer' for the course on their own website?

If this doesnt tally with the offer you have been made, phone them on Monday.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
No what course is this for. Have they increased their offer recently. Do you not have a required subject.

Maths with Finance BSc. I'm doing maths, econ & music. Double checked everything and discovered I accidentally applied for the MSc instead! Thanks so much for your advice. I'll be talking to the school first thing tomorrow about next steps. Based on what I've read on UCAS I can change it directly with the uni.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Have you checked the 'typical offer' for the course on their own website?

If this doesnt tally with the offer you have been made, phone them on Monday.

Thanks for your helpful & quick reply. See other response - I accidentally applied for the masters instead! Really grateful for this forum as this process is all completely new and scary for me.
Original post by Loulourob
Maths with Finance BSc. I'm doing maths, econ & music. Double checked everything and discovered I accidentally applied for the MSc instead! Thanks so much for your advice. I'll be talking to the school first thing tomorrow about next steps. Based on what I've read on UCAS I can change it directly with the uni.

I wouldnt worry too much. Exeter tend to be fairly lenient with Maths grades on results day anyway. Go to a visit day and discuss it there and see if you can get it changed. Usually you can change at the end of the first year.
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
I wouldnt worry too much. Exeter tend to be fairly lenient with Maths grades on results day anyway. Go to a visit day and discuss it there and see if you can get it changed. Usually you can change at the end of the first year.

Thanks
Note also in the case of MSci vs BSc courses - often if you miss the grades for the undergraduate masters course they will consider you for the bachelors anyway (unis generally would rather take a student they already made an offer to for the other course than risk having to "fish" in clearing to fill the spot from an unknown quantity!), as often they're considered as a single cohort/gathered field of applicants rather than as fully separate courses. It's also usually straightforward to switch between the two during the first two years of the degree while you are there anyway!
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Note also in the case of MSci vs BSc courses - often if you miss the grades for the undergraduate masters course they will consider you for the bachelors anyway (unis generally would rather take a student they already made an offer to for the other course than risk having to "fish" in clearing to fill the spot from an unknown quantity!), as often they're considered as a single cohort/gathered field of applicants rather than as fully separate courses. It's also usually straightforward to switch between the two during the first two years of the degree while you are there anyway!

Thanks, that's really helpful
Reply 9
However, just be aware that not all Unis do this - especially when the BSc/MSci etc have exactly the same entry requirements, so don't rely on this as a safety net.
My son was offered a higher criteria for his BSc with placement vs MSci… any reason why?
Original post by Sopdav79
My son was offered a higher criteria for his BSc with placement vs MSci… any reason why?

Contact that Uni and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending