The Student Room Group

Nigerian stereotypes

So I'm Nigerian and people often say to me "you don't look Nigerian you look Jamaican" but then again what is a Nigerian supposed to look like? Like what is the first thing that comes to your head when you think of a Nigerian? I also get told I don't have Nigerian facial features and I don't act like one which kinda pisses me off. So what do you guys think of when the term Nigerian comes to your head?
Nigerians are usually darker than Jamaicans
Original post by Miss Studious
So I'm Nigerian and people often say to me "you don't look Nigerian you look Jamaican" but then again what is a Nigerian supposed to look like? Like what is the first thing that comes to your head when you think of a Nigerian? I also get told I don't have Nigerian facial features and I don't act like one which kinda pisses me off. So what do you guys think of when the term Nigerian comes to your head?

In general people expect Nigerians to act and look a certain way which is why you've probably gotten those comments. I know them all too well myself as a fellow Nigerian. It definitely comes down to how you act and look. As the user above me has said it is assumed that Nigerians have darker skin tones, rounder facial features etc. As for behaviours if you speak a certain way you will be accused of "acting white" or being an "Oreo" I have heard it all. Don't let it bother you as it says more about the people saying those things.
Reply 3
Facially there is no much difference between Jamaicans and Nigerians.Though some Jamaicans tend to be light skin because of inter-racial marriages that happened in the past.
Nigerians who grew up in Nigerian have a clear-cut difference in accent from Jamaicans

Quick Reply

Latest