The Student Room Group

the three domains

The three domains are archaea , bacteria and eukarya. What organisms go into each domain? (what characteristics does the organism have to fit into a domain)
Reply 1
eukarya : all the eukaryotic organisms, so anything that fits into the animal / plant / fungi / protoctists in the kingdom classification system

bacteria and archaea are both prokaryotes, bacteria split the furthest back so eukarya and archaea have more in common if that makes sense

Hope that helps a bit, there's not much more I can remember!
Original post by 12par62
eukarya : all the eukaryotic organisms, so anything that fits into the animal / plant / fungi / protoctists in the kingdom classification system

bacteria and archaea are both prokaryotes, bacteria split the furthest back so eukarya and archaea have more in common if that makes sense

Hope that helps a bit, there's not much more I can remember!

The actual biological difference is that Archaea, though structurally like Bacteria has sections of unused (non-coding) DNA, which is more similar to Eukaryotes, whereas Bacteria (‘True Bacteria’) has no unused sections of DNA.

But the rest you said would probably get marks, at least on combined.
Original post by DerivativeName
The actual biological difference is that Archaea, though structurally like Bacteria has sections of unused (non-coding) DNA, which is more similar to Eukaryotes, whereas Bacteria (‘True Bacteria’) has no unused sections of DNA.

But the rest you said would probably get marks, at least on combined.

Thank you :smile:

I also have this question: What are the different kingdoms and what separates them? So what would be a suitable answer for what differences they have??
Original post by Iwannabesmart
Thank you :smile:

I also have this question: What are the different kingdoms and what separates them? So what would be a suitable answer for what differences they have??

It is physical/cellular characteristics that separates the kingdoms. Things you can see with a microscope.

So:

Animals- Multi-cellular Eukaryotes. No cell Walls.
Plants- Multi-cellular Eukaryotes. Cells contain Chloroplast
Fungi- Multi-cellular Eukaryotes. Cell Walls contain Chitin
Protists- Single-cellular Eukaryotes.
Prokaryotes- Single celled (Bacteria and Archaea).

There are other differences, but these are the ones that are most obvious and that separate each from the rest. For example, Plant cells also contain cell walls, but so do all except animals, so it’s not a differentiator.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending