The Student Room Group

How many footnotes is too much in an EPQ

I have done about 20 footnotes in my first 1500 words and I'm worried that its too many. Please give some advice
Reply 1
How are your references split up? Twenty references split up over three pages might look a bit obtrusive but your EPQ supervisor should offer a valuable opinion for that. With such a heavy reference to word count ratio, I would consider whether you could be drawing more analysis from each reference before moving on.

Also which referencing system are you using? In my EPQ we used the Harvard Referencing system which does not permit any footnotes and instead has a bibliography.
Original post by zaykenyon
How are your references split up? Twenty references split up over three pages might look a bit obtrusive but your EPQ supervisor should offer a valuable opinion for that. With such a heavy reference to word count ratio, I would consider whether you could be drawing more analysis from each reference before moving on.

Also which referencing system are you using? In my EPQ we used the Harvard Referencing system which does not permit any footnotes and instead has a bibliography.

Footnote referencing systems still use a bibliography, you just don't have in line citations - they're in the footnotes.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Footnote referencing systems still use a bibliography, you just don't have in line citations - they're in the footnotes.

Oh interesting, thanks for the clarification!
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger

Added to which, Harvard (such that 'Harvard' even exists, but that's a different story) does allow footnotes, just not for references: they are instead the domain of supplementary discussion/information or even for suggested further reading.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by gjd800
Added to which, Harvard (such that 'Harvard' even exists, but that's a different story) does allow footnotes, just not for references: they are instead the domain of supplementary discussion/information or even for suggested further reading.

PRSOM :smile:

Oh interesting, thanks for the clarification!

Yeah, I've had to get used to this after years of (lazily) using Harvard/APA referencing :tongue:

It is a lot neater usually I will confess using a footnote based referencing system, now that I have to use one per my department style guide :wink:
Reply 6

Thanks for the response, I have decided to talk to my supervisor about it but I will take in your advice and try my best to analyse my sources more.

thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending