The Student Room Group

chemistry question help plss

Stuck on part iii please help
sa.PNG
Attachment not found

STuck on part iii please help
Okay so I think... the reaction to form d is condensation so u need to remove a water molecule (you know it’s not to do with the NH2 as it says it needs to be free in D) so on valine there is only one OH so that’s fine, it says it is an Ester so I think u pick the OH that is at the top bc then when you remove H2O from the 2 OH groups you are left with c=o (from valine) and o .... Ester group, the other OH becomes O And therefore forms another Ester group and this O is available for the next monomer to attach
I hope that’s right/ makes sense (I am also an a level chem student lol)
Reply 3
Original post by millbaker
Okay so I think... the reaction to form d is condensation so u need to remove a water molecule (you know it’s not to do with the NH2 as it says it needs to be free in D) so on valine there is only one OH so that’s fine, it says it is an Ester so I think u pick the OH that is at the top bc then when you remove H2O from the 2 OH groups you are left with c=o (from valine) and o .... Ester group, the other OH becomes O And therefore forms another Ester group and this O is available for the next monomer to attach

Thanks but I think you're talking about part ii. I am stuck with part iii where you even get secondary amide groups -they're reacting the Ester group with the amine group of D which is rather weird.
can you please help with this? :smile:
You are told that the amine group is untouched.

Hence valine reacts using its carboxylic acid group, -COOH
Therefore it must condense with the hydroxyl group of the 2-hydroxypropanoic acid, leaving the carboxylic acid group untouched

This produces a molecule with an amine group on one end and a carboxylic acid group on the other.

This monomer can then polymerise by forming amide groups with other monomers.

nH2N-R-COOH --> -[-HN-R-CONH-]-n-

Quick Reply

Latest