The Student Room Group

A-level Psychology

So I'm retaking my A-levels this year independently and absolutely hated Maths and performed the worst in it soo I have decided to do A-level Psychology instead. I'll have to teach myself everything alone without a teacher if anyone has any tips plss help me out and if I'm being crazy lmk
I'm doing Chem and Bio too soo...
Reply 1
While self-study is challenging, it is still doable. Use the online resources, textbooks, and practice papers. Also ensure to stay organized, manage time effectively which is vital as most individuals find this very difficult to follow. I would also suggest you start by focusing on the subjects that you find more difficult and ensure yo have mastered them
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Highly recommend Psych Boost on YouTube, I definitely credit him with helping me get my A* when he made videos specifically for the reduced specification, I’m hope it’ll help you too, best of luck!
Original post by JeremyN
While self-study is challenging, it is still doable. Use the online resources, textbooks, and practice papers. Also ensure to stay organized, manage time effectively which is vital as most individuals find this very difficult to follow. I would also suggest you start by focusing on the subjects that you find more difficult and ensure yo have mastered them

yhh you're right. From what I've looked through so far, Psych is really interesting and if I'm interested in it I'm gonna spend more time on it ygm so yh hopefully it all goes well
Original post by beth_bch
Highly recommend Psych Boost on YouTube, I definitely credit him with helping me get my A* when he made videos specifically for the reduced specification, I’m hope it’ll help you too, best of luck!

thank youu yh I've heard from a few different people about this channel, do you know if he covers everything on the specification?
Cuz i'm doing AQA too which is good cuz that's what he teaches

and also I'm not sure what exam board u did but I looked through the aqa spec and I don't really understand the options on paper 3. For example in paper 3 section B where u choose the options, say I chose relationships and answered those questions would I still need to study and revise for Gender and Cognition and development?
It would honestly save me a lot of time
Reply 6
Original post by flyingbunny.80
and also I'm not sure what exam board u did but I looked through the aqa spec and I don't really understand the options on paper 3. For example in paper 3 section B where u choose the options, say I chose relationships and answered those questions would I still need to study and revise for Gender and Cognition and development?
It would honestly save me a lot of time

I also did AQA, I believe Psych Boost has covered everything, but different people use different study examples so just pick the ones you find easiest to understand and remember (I sat the exam in 2022 when there was a reduced spec). For paper 3 you just pick one of the topics from each sections, don’t worry about the rest (I did Aggression, Schizophrenia, and Cognition and Development). You only answer the questions for the topic you’re doing for each section. Just remember you’ll always need to keep research methods and issues and debates in mind and I’m sure you’ll be fine, psychology was super interesting imo so I hope you enjoy learning and studying.
Reply 7
I also did AQA, I believe Psych Boost has covered everything, but different people use different study examples so just pick the ones you find easiest to understand and remember (I sat the exam in 2022 when there was a reduced spec). For paper 3 you just pick one of the topics from each sections, don’t worry about the rest (I did Aggression, Schizophrenia, and Cognition and Development). You only answer the questions for the topic you’re doing for each section. Just remember you’ll always need to keep research methods and issues and debates in mind and I’m sure you’ll be fine, psychology was super interesting imo so I hope you enjoy learning and studying.

I also find psychology super interesting, I am sure OP will also find it interesting.
hi i self teach aqa a level psychology!! ask me for anything if you need through PM xx
Original post by alevelstudent090
hi i self teach aqa a level psychology!! ask me for anything if you need through PM xx

Thank you so much, I definitely will xx
Are u doing exams this year?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by JeremyN
I also find psychology super interesting, I am sure OP will also find it interesting.

It’s honestly very interesting, I’m already so drawn into it esp the Schizophrenia topic

Quick Reply

Latest