The Student Room Group

A level maths

so i need advice.i like maths and dont mind doing it anyday. i just finished gcse exams and want to rest for a bit and then start light revision. any tips on what i should focus on before i start. exam board edexcel and im a grade 7 student
Reply 1
www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/
www.physicsandmathstutor.com/maths-revision/
If you get bored work your way through the exams solution videos then do the “questions by topics” past paper questions on physics and maths tutor it will help you out a lot for maths A level. You can easily teach yourself the whole first year of maths just through them videos, need any help just ask.
Reply 2
In A-level it is expected that you have a very good knowledge of GCSE maths. It helps that you're past the point of making silly mistakes. If you want to be really good at pure maths, make sure you're already good with algebra in general.
It is good that you're thinking about this, though.

What I've noticed in doing the Edexcel linear A-level is that two-thirds of the year 1 pure maths is basically more advanced and detailed GCSE maths.

Make sure quadratic equations aren't a problem - they come up everywhere.
Original post by NR22
If you get bored work your way through the exams solution videos then do the “questions by topics” past paper questions on physics and maths tutor it will help you out a lot for maths A level. You can easily teach yourself the whole first year of maths just through them videos, need any help just ask.

With that physicsandmathstutor website, can I teach myself all of A-level maths and all of A-level physics?
Original post by NR22

thanks a lot do you think i will be in a good position if i start with like 4 or 5 weeks left do maths like every day or evry two days
Reply 5
Original post by Baza2002
With that physicsandmathstutor website, can I teach myself all of A-level maths and all of A-level physics?

You don’t use physics and maths tutor to teach yourself, you use exam solutions to teach yourself maths, physics and maths tutor just compiles all the exam resources in one easy place to access and also gives some revision sheets. Don’t try to teach yourself physics you will miss out on understanding. Although teach yourself Mechanics 1 if you want to be good at the mechanics in physics (mechanics in maths helps your mechanics in physics but not the other way round).
Reply 6
Original post by FreshPrince102
thanks a lot do you think i will be in a good position if i start with like 4 or 5 weeks left do maths like every day or evry two days

You could probably teach yourself the whole of maths that you would learn up until Christmas at college/sixthform within 4-5 weeks of the holiday and you might find it easier learning before hand without any pressure of other subjects.
Original post by NR22
You could probably teach yourself the whole of maths that you would learn up until Christmas at college/sixthform within 4-5 weeks of the holiday and you might find it easier learning before hand without any pressure of other subjects.

thanks alot!
Original post by NR22

What if I’m doing AQA?
Reply 9
Original post by Y11_Maths
What if I’m doing AQA?

Just work your way through the AQA videos instead the site has videos for all exam boards.
https://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/aqa/
And then access the past paper content for aqa.
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/maths-revision/a-level-core-1/
Note although maths has changed spec maths is maths so using old past paper questions is not a problem, I did old spec maths and have helped people this year doing the new spec and the reason there isn’t a problem is because the maths hasn’t changed just the way they ask questions sometimes. You’re teacher will be able to help you with preparing you for the new spec so don’t won’t about the old/new spec... learn the maths and you’ll be fine
Original post by NR22
Just work your way through the AQA videos instead the site has videos for all exam boards.
Note although maths has changed spec maths is maths so using old past paper questions is not a problem, I did old spec maths and have helped people this year doing the new spec and the reason there isn’t a problem is because the maths hasn’t changed just the way they ask questions sometimes. You’re teacher will be able to help you with preparing you for the new spec so don’t won’t about the old/new spec... learn the maths and you’ll be fine

Ok thanks
Ok thanks

so if i go through the algebra and functions topic for pure maths i should then go to c1 on phys and maths teacher and do all the worksheets and i should be good
so if i go through the algebra and functions topic for pure maths i should then go to c1 on phys and maths teacher and do all the worksheets and i should be good

Original post by NR22

so if i go through algebra and functions topic for pure maths i should then go to c1 on phys and maths teacher and do all the worksheets and i should be good
Ok thanks

sorry didnt mean to ask you

I think you’re asking the wrong person. @NR22
I think you’re asking the wrong person. @NR22

There is also algebra and functions content in C3.
Reply 16
sorry didnt mean to ask you

Yep you’ve got the idea. Just work your way through don’t worry about the later modules yet if you are revising before September then just get a good grounding on C1 (and C2 if you have time) and then let the teacher teach you the C3 and C4 stuff. Because the stuff form C1 and C2 you will definitely lean this year but not everything from C3 and C4 will be brought into the first year of the new spec so let the teacher worry about what teaching needs brought forwards form them modules.
Personally, if you want to revise go for it, but i went for the rest. And it was completely fine for me, maths was as easy as GCSE maths for me.

Quick Reply

Latest