The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BonBon2
what do you guys and girls thing is better do a econ and maths degree at royal holloway, then after a masters in finance hopefully at LSE , or a foundation year at manchester for computer science, a target university and a pretty mathsy course and try to get into IB from there?

do you have £30k for the masters?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
do you have £30k for the masters?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i can get a loan
Original post by BonBon2
i can get a loan

What company is giving 30k loans to masters students? :hmmm:
Original post by Terry Tibbs
What company is giving 30k loans to masters students? :hmmm:

lets say i end up doing the masters still , in theory would that be the better choice ?
Hi all. Just going to give my profile for Summer internship positions in IBD.

24-year-old incoming MSc student at London Business School: Already member of China Business Review, Programming society and Finance society. Applied for Student Rep position
1st (Hons) at SOAS for International Management China (year abroad): Member of Finance and Squash societies

Internships in Beijing (Asset Management), Hong Kong (Venture Capital) and London (Asset Management but only 2 weeks). No big name but all are respectable.

EC: cricket (3rd XI captain), squash, skiing, and forex trading. Volunteer work in Beijing orphanage and fundraising on behalf of VolunteeringSolutions.

Any opinion or thoughts on my chances much appreciated. Going to apply anyway, but want to know if my application isnt that strong. If so maybe i could also consider applying for consulting.

My 1 big worry is that my latest work experience was 2017 and that i have no internships in 2018. Please do let me know if this is an issue
Would having retaken A-Levels put me at a big disadvantage if I wanted to get into investment banking?
What do you think I could do to make up for this?
I'm considering maybe doing another A level in a year, would that help?
ABB in Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Starting an aerospace engineering degree at Southampton. What are my chances? I can retake two modules to make the maths an A* (got 90 UMS C3 and 75 UMS C4) and further maths an A.
Sorry about that. I don't have better idea bout this Banking Sector. :smile:
Original post by TKSR123
Hi all. Just going to give my profile for Summer internship positions in IBD.

24-year-old incoming MSc student at London Business School: Already member of China Business Review, Programming society and Finance society. Applied for Student Rep position
1st (Hons) at SOAS for International Management China (year abroad): Member of Finance and Squash societies

Internships in Beijing (Asset Management), Hong Kong (Venture Capital) and London (Asset Management but only 2 weeks). No big name but all are respectable.

EC: cricket (3rd XI captain), squash, skiing, and forex trading. Volunteer work in Beijing orphanage and fundraising on behalf of VolunteeringSolutions.

Any opinion or thoughts on my chances much appreciated. Going to apply anyway, but want to know if my application isnt that strong. If so maybe i could also consider applying for consulting.

My 1 big worry is that my latest work experience was 2017 and that i have no internships in 2018. Please do let me know if this is an issue

Would really appreciate a response guys.
Original post by TKSR123
Would really appreciate a response guys.

Sounds like you’re getting involved in a lot (EC’s etc). You’ll break in with enough grit.
If I got a 6 in Enlgish but others are 8/9 for GCSE what are my chances of going into banking? slightly stressed that it had to be English I didn't do well in. Also is it better to do work experience in UK or China like would one be looked on more highly?
Original post by Angel_Chen
If I got a 6 in Enlgish but others are 8/9 for GCSE what are my chances of going into banking? slightly stressed that it had to be English I didn't do well in. Also is it better to do work experience in UK or China like would one be looked on more highly?

6 is a B, from what I remember. That’s good. Don’t stress, you still need to sit your A levels. You really don’t know now and no one can say “yes you’ll get in”. Just do your A levels - smash them get into a solid uni and go from there.
Original post by TheBigShort
6 is a B, from what I remember. That’s good. Don’t stress, you still need to sit your A levels. You really don’t know now and no one can say “yes you’ll get in”. Just do your A levels - smash them get into a solid uni and go from there.

Ok thanx so much like sometimes u read and people are getting straight A* and I'm like a 6 isn't bad but it's in English and I can't redeem myself if that makes sense since I'm not doing English ever again hopefully a remark will help
Ok thanx so much like sometimes u read and people are getting straight A* and I'm like a 6 isn't bad but it's in English and I can't redeem myself if that makes sense since I'm not doing English ever again hopefully a remark will help

Honestly, don’t stress man. English GCSE won’t even be looked at (as much as A levels). You’re going to be up against Oxbridge students - English GCSE isn’t going to be the make or break lol.
Honestly, don’t stress man. English GCSE won’t even be looked at (as much as A levels). You’re going to be up against Oxbridge students - English GCSE isn’t going to be the make or break lol.

Maybe maybe not like I won't have AS so GCSEs are more important ig lol I want to go to Oxbridge not sure that's still an option but hopefully I can do better in my A levels
@TheBigShort u finished high school?
Maybe maybe not like I won't have AS so GCSEs are more important ig lol I want to go to Oxbridge not sure that's still an option but hopefully I can do better in my A levels

Just depends on the course you want to take - start your research now and plan the best as you can. Visit uni websites and see their GCSE intake requirements.
Just depends on the course you want to take - start your research now and plan the best as you can. Visit uni websites and see their GCSE intake requirements.

do they even have GCSE intake requirements, like I've done some research but all I've seen are alevel like I heard for Oxbridge preferably 8 A* . Also anyone know Cambridge or Oxford look at GCSEs more?
do they even have GCSE intake requirements, like I've done some research but all I've seen are alevel like I heard for Oxbridge preferably 8 A* . Also anyone know Cambridge or Oxford look at GCSEs more?

Dude they do not look at GCSE requirements.
Dude they do not look at GCSE requirements.

I'm guessing u meant A levels then lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending