The Student Room Group

How did you find the MLAT (2019 entry)

How did everyone find the MLAT
I did the French and Linguistics papers and I found the linguistics side quite hard but I guess it’s meant to be like that. I was just interesed in seeing what people thought of it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alessandra.mp
How did everyone find the MLAT
I did the French and Linguistics papers and I found the linguistics side quite hard but I guess it’s meant to be like that. I was just interesed in seeing what people thought of it.

I did french too! I'm not sure how I feel about it really, didn't have much time to go back and check it but I didn't find it agonisingly difficult while I was answering the questions. How did you find it?
I did spanish and Linguistics and didn’t finish Linguistics either
Did anybody do the Language Aptitude test? I couldn’t finish it 😭
Original post by saintstudent
I did spanish and Linguistics and didn’t finish Linguistics either

Linguistics really stumped me, the first q I barely understood and I was already in a panic so the words really weren’t going in. The other questions were better. I just found it really long... 5 pages. Previous papers had 2-3.
We have to wait and see now but I know that not many people would have done well on the linguistics paper because it is really difficult to do in 30 min.
Original post by annajohnson00
I did french too! I'm not sure how I feel about it really, didn't have much time to go back and check it but I didn't find it agonisingly difficult while I was answering the questions. How did you find it?

French was okay yeah! I didn’t get to check back over it and im sure it could’ve done with a few tweaks but it’s done now! Did you do linguistics too ??
Original post by cxralreef
Did anybody do the Language Aptitude test? I couldn’t finish it 😭

I did French and LAT, French was fine but like you I didn’t finish the LAT, though I don’t think it was the worst there’s been. I didn’t fully finish the last section... hoping my annotations get me kudos at the very least
Original post by alessandra.mp
French was okay yeah! I didn’t get to check back over it and im sure it could’ve done with a few tweaks but it’s done now! Did you do linguistics too ??

No, I do really like linguistics but I did philosophy and the test was okay for me I think. I barely remember what was on the French test honestly e.g. the prepositions at the beginning, I've blocked it out I think lol!
Reply 9
I did the French and philosophy sections too! The French was OK I thought, the philosophy less so, but that's probably just because it's a less exact science and I'm nervous enough as it is!
Linguistics was mad hard! I didn't finish :frown:
Reply 11
Hey, I did German and Linguistics.
Yeah I found the Linguistics paper was very challenging and I was running out of time at the end if it. Luckily I hear that Oxford doesn't put much weight on the linguistics paper because it's not like we've had the opportunity to properly study it in school. On the other hand German went pretty well!
Original post by Trabs
Hey, I did German and Linguistics.
Yeah I found the Linguistics paper was very challenging and I was running out of time at the end if it. Luckily I hear that Oxford doesn't put much weight on the linguistics paper because it's not like we've had the opportunity to properly study it in school. On the other hand German went pretty well!

I just wish we had more time! I really panicked with the first q and wrote absolute nonsense. What did you put down for the translation bits in the 2nd question? I think I got boy, you and I wasn’t sure for the last
Reply 13
Original post by beckdong
I did the French and philosophy sections too! The French was OK I thought, the philosophy less so, but that's probably just because it's a less exact science and I'm nervous enough as it is!

Oh wow! We did the exact same sections. How did you find the philosophy? They changed up the format a bit, it scared me at the start. Also, what question did u pick for part two?
Original post by whateew
Oh wow! We did the exact same sections. How did you find the philosophy? They changed up the format a bit, it scared me at the start. Also, what question did u pick for part two?

I found the philosophy to be interesting. For the 2nd part, I answered the 2nd question on Shakespeare! How about yourself? And I noticed that change in format too - it didn't ask for a general summary like usual! So I was caught out by that at first but beyond that I thought the passage and question was quite unique!
I found the philosophy to be interesting. For the 2nd part, I answered the 2nd question on Shakespeare! How about yourself? And I noticed that change in format too - it didn't ask for a general summary like usual! So I was caught out by that at first but beyond that I thought the passage and question was quite unique!

I also did the Shakespeare question, I wasn't sure how much I was supposed to write though, I did about two sides of A4 I think.
I kinda messed up section a as I sort of answered the second question within my first, I should have read ahead really... :/ but I was just grateful that the extract was easy to understand as some years they have given extracts that were quite hard to untangle but I quite liked this one. For French, I can barely remember the questions haha but I just remember the phrase "étant en colère de" which threw me off at first but I worked out it meant being angry with in the end luckily. What do you remember from the French?
Original post by whateew

Which colleges are you guys applying to? I haven't found anybody else applying for philosophy and French so this is cool!:smile:
Reply 17
I also did the Shakespeare question, I wasn't sure how much I was supposed to write though, I did about two sides of A4 I think.
I kinda messed up section a as I sort of answered the second question within my first, I should have read ahead really... :/ but I was just grateful that the extract was easy to understand as some years they have given extracts that were quite hard to untangle but I quite liked this one. For French, I can barely remember the questions haha but I just remember the phrase "étant en colère de" which threw me off at first but I worked out it meant being angry with in the end luckily. What do you remember from the French?

Damn i can't remember much haha. i remember the prepositions being easier than beforehand, but the translations scared me! I thibk i did alrgiht though in the end, i just needed to cool down a bit first. Haha i forgot how to spell washing up, i just put "fait la vasisisial" or something like that, it was close enough :")
Reply 18
Which colleges are you guys applying to? I haven't found anybody else applying for philosophy and French so this is cool!:smile:

Yeah, this is pretty cool! I have no clue what anyone who would apply for this would be like, its got me curious. Im tryinf for Magdalen from London, what about you?

I'm applying to Brasenose, from Northern Ireland :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending