The Student Room Group

Will 2024 A levels be bad/worse than this years

A lot of people this year were robbed cause of the grade boundaries many people who got predicted A* got a B/C instead. will the exam boards screw over next yr 13, cause Im worried they might.
Original post by yupcabra23
A lot of people this year were robbed cause of the grade boundaries many people who got predicted A* got a B/C instead. will the exam boards screw over next yr 13, cause Im worried they might.

i too am curious about this as i will be sitting hopefully in 2024 toooo .....it is quite concerning

Just wanted to say, I sat my A levels this year - I was predicted A*s and that’s what I got. I dont know how badly other people were affected but I wasn’t at all if that makes you feel better?
Original post by Teribblestudent
Just wanted to say, I sat my A levels this year - I was predicted A*s and that’s what I got. I dont know how badly other people were affected but I wasn’t at all if that makes you feel better?

thats good-congrats :smile:----i hope i don't get what i am predicted as they arent very optimistic......
Original post by Teribblestudent

yea im the same despite what many people have said it seems people who have done better havent made as much noise as those who didnt do well which is totally understandable as this year has been don equite dirty. Anyway i reckon you'll get it quite a bit nicer then we did due to the heavy backlash there has been and also something to factor is universities have accepeted so many people getting much lower grade entry requirements so i wouldnt be suprised if they drop entry requirments a bit for unis which alwasy helps alot but thats just a guess that they may do it.
Reply 5
Original post by charlie.R.12
yea im the same despite what many people have said it seems people who have done better havent made as much noise as those who didnt do well which is totally understandable as this year has been don equite dirty. Anyway i reckon you'll get it quite a bit nicer then we did due to the heavy backlash there has been and also something to factor is universities have accepeted so many people getting much lower grade entry requirements so i wouldnt be suprised if they drop entry requirments a bit for unis which alwasy helps alot but thats just a guess that they may do it.

I doubt that they’ll drop entry requirements, but teachers might have to be a little less generous than this year with their predictions as their optimistic,best day scenario was apparently a bit over hopeful for many. That being said, the number of top grades was still a little higher than 2019 apparently, so unless the students were really better than pre COVID, it would seem that if the grade boundaries were higher, then maybe the exams were easier, and in order to deliver what was promised I.e a return to pre pandemic grade achievements, then even those with apparently good raw scores had to see their grades slip.
Reply 6
Original post by charlie.R.12

Thats good to hear, but you can never tell with these exam boards, especially edexcel 244 marks for A* in math's,criminal.
Reply 7
Thats good to hear, but you can never tell with these exam boards, especially edexcel 244 marks for A* in math's,criminal.

But if you see the percentage of students getting the A* as compared to pre pandemic it was apparently necessary.
Original post by Euapp
I doubt that they’ll drop entry requirements, but teachers might have to be a little less generous than this year with their predictions as their optimistic,best day scenario was apparently a bit over hopeful for many. That being said, the number of top grades was still a little higher than 2019 apparently, so unless the students were really better than pre COVID, it would seem that if the grade boundaries were higher, then maybe the exams were easier, and in order to deliver what was promised I.e a return to pre pandemic grade achievements, then even those with apparently good raw scores had to see their grades slip.

i sat physics maths and econ this year and must of done the 2019 papers atleast once or twice and for physics they were miles easier for maths they were proabably harder and cant remember for econ i think they were slightly easier. However i think maths grade boundaries seemed quite high and physics seemed a bit too low despite what i said. But i wouldnt be surprised if students are getting better especially with lots of better revision resources especially for my subjects people like mr astbury, econplusdal, tl maths will be bumping up marks alot

Quick Reply

Latest