The Student Room Group

English HELP.PLEASE!!!

i have got 5 grade 9's in my gcse subjects which seems to be pretty decent right? Not really that neat if im getting 5's in all of my English papers. Why am I so bad? I have tried usig so many things, but none of them seem to make a change.

I started using subject terminology like asyndeton, polysyndeton, homeoteleuton, anadiplosis, epadiplosis… BUT IT MADE NO CHANGE.

I have tried mr bruff, I have tried mr salles but no improvent.
Could someone please help improve even if I can Improve to a grade 7.
I will be eternally greatful.
Thank You.
Original post by Shozab_N15
i have got 5 grade 9's in my gcse subjects which seems to be pretty decent right? Not really that neat if im getting 5's in all of my English papers. Why am I so bad? I have tried usig so many things, but none of them seem to make a change.

I started using subject terminology like asyndeton, polysyndeton, homeoteleuton, anadiplosis, epadiplosis… BUT IT MADE NO CHANGE.

I have tried mr bruff, I have tried mr salles but no improvent.
Could someone please help improve even if I can Improve to a grade 7.
I will be eternally greatful.
Thank You.

Examiners don't like to see subject terminology been used incorrectly...so avoid really complex words(the subject terminology you have listed above) and watch Mr Bruff's videos. Learn ambitious vocab that you can use CORRECTLY.Also don't over complicate your ideas..make your writing clear and WELL DONE FOR THE GRADE 9'S...Good Luck with your exams:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
Examiners don't like to see subject terminology been used incorrectly...so avoid really complex words(the subject terminology you have listed above) and watch Mr Bruff's videos. Learn ambitious vocab that you can use CORRECTLY.Also don't over complicate your ideas..make your writing clear and WELL DONE FOR THE GRADE 9'S...Good Luck with your exams:smile:

thanks. But my teacher said I did well using that terminology, but I keep on loosing marks elsewhere. The problem is that when I gain marks in one question, I loose marks in the other questions. And I've never got above 25 in the last 40 mark questions in English lang. If somehow I could improve on that I could improve. The annoying thing is that I came from spain a few years ago, which is probably why im doing so bad at English. But I just don't know how to improve
Original post by Shozab_N15
thanks. But my teacher said I did well using that terminology, but I keep on loosing marks elsewhere. The problem is that when I gain marks in one question, I loose marks in the other questions. And I've never got above 25 in the last 40 mark questions in English lang. If somehow I could improve on that I could improve. The annoying thing is that I came from spain a few years ago, which is probably why im doing so bad at English. But I just don't know how to improve

I know its so annoying that english is subjective but remember that the examiner may give you higher marks or vice versa..english is more opinion-based so there's no one way of getting a 9. Just have as many original interpretations as possible and well done for using the subject terminology correctly..thats very impressive....
Reply 4
That's what I hate about English; there's no correct answer. In maths you know 1+1 = 2 and you know you will get the marks. In English its just opinion based. If examiners don't agree then you wont get the marks, and there's no way to know how to write to get the marks. Why couldn't they just do a vocabulary test, im better at french than English.:frown:
thank you for the help though.
Good luck to you as well
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
I know its so annoying that english is subjective but remember that the examiner may give you higher marks or vice versa..english is more opinion-based so there's no one way of getting a 9. Just have as many original interpretations as possible and well done for using the subject terminology correctly..thats very impressive....

Quick Reply

Latest