The Student Room Group

Dentistry a-levels help

I am in Year 11 and have already picked my a-levels in Biology, Chemistry and English Lit. Can i still be a competitive dentistry applicant without maths as I know most applicants do maths?

also, I was wondering how Dentistry applicants have been able to find work experience in their local areas as I have only been able to find virtual wex at the moment.
100% you can, in fact I think it’s an advantage in some ways!- the verbal reasoning section in the UCAT tends to be the hardest section and I’m certain English would help in analysis of the passages.

People tend to choose maths as it’s a nice complement to the sciences and has some overlap with chemistry and biology (calculations pretty much that’s all).

So no you won’t be put as a disadvantage!

~SK
Original post by SK-18
100% you can, in fact I think it’s an advantage in some ways!- the verbal reasoning section in the UCAT tends to be the hardest section and I’m certain English would help in analysis of the passages.

People tend to choose maths as it’s a nice complement to the sciences and has some overlap with chemistry and biology (calculations pretty much that’s all).

So no you won’t be put as a disadvantage!

~SK
imo, english lit wouldnt help that much with the verbal reasoning. english lit is more time consuming than maths for most "sciency" people and that extra time could be spend revising for UCAT which would be much more effective than english lit at improving the verbal reasoning, you dont learn to speed read in english lit....

maths imo is more useful as it would not only support bio and chem but also sections of UCAT too, and it builds problem solving skills crucial for dentistry + it also helps you analyse data better (also useful for dentistry) and more..

objectively, maths would be better, but overall, i cannot say what subject combo is best, it depends from person to person. getting an A* in english lit is better than an A/B in maths. also, if you enjoy revising english more, than the extra work needed for english wouldn't be bad, if anything, maths would require more "work" and english simply more "time", but time spent doing something you would enjoy. You can still be highly competitive with bio chem english, they don't just look at your subjects, but your application as a whole, and having the foundation of biology and chemistry is what mostly matters, and the third subject isn't very important at all.

english lit is probably one of the best non-STEM substitute for Maths. it is highly regarded by universities and seen as academically rigorous, does help build many skills useful in later life. (but so does maths and to a better degree)
(edited 1 month ago)
maths wont make u any less competitive than someone who does maths. The only thing that rlly matters when getting selected is ur gsces and ur ucat and predicted grades
Original post by skz123
I am in Year 11 and have already picked my a-levels in Biology, Chemistry and English Lit. Can i still be a competitive dentistry applicant without maths as I know most applicants do maths?

also, I was wondering how Dentistry applicants have been able to find work experience in their local areas as I have only been able to find virtual wex at the moment.

Double check the requirements on unis websites. As long as they dont specify that they want maths you are fine.
Pick whatever 3rd subject you think you will do best in.
Original post by ismaelishere
imo, english lit wouldnt help that much with the verbal reasoning. english lit is more time consuming than maths for most "sciency" people and that extra time could be spend revising for UCAT which would be much more effective than english lit at improving the verbal reasoning, you dont learn to speed read in english lit....

maths imo is more useful as it would not only support bio and chem but also sections of UCAT too, and it builds problem solving skills crucial for dentistry + it also helps you analyse data better (also useful for dentistry) and more..

objectively, maths would be better, but overall, i cannot say what subject combo is best, it depends from person to person. getting an A* in english lit is better than an A/B in maths. also, if you enjoy revising english more, than the extra work needed for english wouldn't be bad, if anything, maths would require more "work" and english simply more "time", but time spent doing something you would enjoy. You can still be highly competitive with bio chem english, they don't just look at your subjects, but your application as a whole, and having the foundation of biology and chemistry is what mostly matters, and the third subject isn't very important at all.

english lit is probably one of the best non-STEM substitute for Maths. it is highly regarded by universities and seen as academically rigorous, does help build many skills useful in later life. (but so does maths and to a better degree)
Regarding maths aiding the UCAT with analysis, I mean none of the content asked was past GCSE knowledge, while the things we learn in A-Level doesn't really help with the UCAT outside of quicker calculations.

Regarding analysing data, there is a valid point, however in DM where information is abstract English would be better to easily interpret information.

With the "time consuming" element to English- I agree personally, hence why I chose maths. However if English is a strong point then that time consuming element is a non-issue personally. The reverse can apply if you aren't a maths orientated person- you would find maths a slog.

I used to think maths was better than English for life, but they're pretty much equal imo.

A good advantage to English is that your personal statement is going to be gooood. Every English student's personal statement I read was amazing. So there is a lot of transferrable skills with English Literature to CV's, personal statements, UCAT etc.

But it's down to the person at the end of the day, if you find maths hard, there's no point digging your own grave for the sake of a slight advantage to Bio/Chem + UCAT when you may be struggling in the subject.
Reply 6
Original post by SK-18
Regarding maths aiding the UCAT with analysis, I mean none of the content asked was past GCSE knowledge, while the things we learn in A-Level doesn't really help with the UCAT outside of quicker calculations.

Regarding analysing data, there is a valid point, however in DM where information is abstract English would be better to easily interpret information.

With the "time consuming" element to English- I agree personally, hence why I chose maths. However if English is a strong point then that time consuming element is a non-issue personally. The reverse can apply if you aren't a maths orientated person- you would find maths a slog.

I used to think maths was better than English for life, but they're pretty much equal imo.

A good advantage to English is that your personal statement is going to be gooood. Every English student's personal statement I read was amazing. So there is a lot of transferrable skills with English Literature to CV's, personal statements, UCAT etc.

But it's down to the person at the end of the day, if you find maths hard, there's no point digging your own grave for the sake of a slight advantage to Bio/Chem + UCAT when you may be struggling in the subject.
thank you so much!!
Original post by SK-18

english and maths are just the GOATS. been there since day 1 reception. but ye i agree that it depends on what u r good at, both good subjects.
english and maths are just the GOATS. been there since day 1 reception. but ye i agree that it depends on what u r good at, both good subjects.

also dont ppl use chatgpt now lol for personal statements

also dont ppl use chatgpt now lol for personal statements

Think I was the only one to actually write it out 😭

Quick Reply

Latest