The Student Room Group

UCAS first language for Indian students

I am a 11th grade CBSE student educated in an English medium school. From 1st to 8th grade, at school, English was my first language, Hindi second and Sanskrit third, in 9th and 10th English was my first language and Sanskrit second, while in 11th and 12th grade English is the only language studied and also the medium of instruction for all other subjects. But my mother tongue is Malayalam.
In UCAS should I select 'yes' or 'no' when asked whether English is my first language?( as I am aware that 'first language' abroad is what we call mother tongue in India) According to the Oxford website, possible exemptions from English Language tests apply to students who have been "educated full-time in English for at least the two most recent years before applying and who remain in full-time education in this language until completion of their schooling."
If I select 'yes' will I still be asked to sit English language proficiency tests in university decisions? Or do I have to submit proof of having been educated full-time in English?
I am perfectly willing to take the IELTS, but I need to get my facts straight.
(Although the first language I learnt at home is Malayalam, I can only speak it, not read or write. Hindi and Sanskrit are not even close to being my first language.)
The answer to this question on UCAS will not determine whether or not you will need IELTS. If you don’t speak English at home then I wouldn’t recommend putting it as your first language on UCAS.

Each university set their own entry criteria and they will need proof that you meet their specific English language requirements whether that’s by a test or by providing proof that you have studied in English.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 2
As above, each Uni will make their own decision about their English Language requirements - and many will accept English within CBSE so you may not need to take IELTS etc. The UCAS question will not determine whether or not you need an English Language qualification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending