The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough to apply to medicine?

Hello, I am hoping to apply to medicine for university, however I'm not sure if I should due to my GCSE results. My results for English literature and English language are terrible. I am worried that my English Literature grade may make it very difficult for me to secure a place at a Russel Group University for medicine, since most students applying to these Universities all have 8s and 9s. For English language I was 1 mark off a 7 and I am requesting a remark. For A levels, I am planning to do Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Biology.

Here are my grades:
Geography: 8
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 9
Physics: 9
German: 9
English Language: 6
English Literature: 5
Computer Science: 8
Mathematics: 9

Does anybody think I have a chance of getting into a Russel Group University for medicine with these GCSE grades? Should I request a resit for English literature?

Thank you
Reply 1
Amazing results, well done. Those grades are definitely good enough for medicine. I would advise against resitting English literature as this will detract from your A levels. Good idea to get a remark in English language but English lit is not key! Get some healthcare related work/ voluntary experience, do something academic ( podcasts, lectures, essay comps) to show your interest beyond the syllabus. Don’t worry about your English literature, honestly. Well done, such good results
Original post by cutecat15
Hello, I am hoping to apply to medicine for university, however I'm not sure if I should due to my GCSE results. My results for English literature and English language are terrible. I am worried that my English Literature grade may make it very difficult for me to secure a place at a Russel Group University for medicine, since most students applying to these Universities all have 8s and 9s. For English language I was 1 mark off a 7 and I am requesting a remark. For A levels, I am planning to do Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Biology.

Here are my grades:
Geography: 8
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 9
Physics: 9
German: 9
English Language: 6
English Literature: 5
Computer Science: 8
Mathematics: 9

Does anybody think I have a chance of getting into a Russel Group University for medicine with these GCSE grades? Should I request a resit for English literature?

Thank you

Hi @cutecat15

Congratulations on your amazing results!!! I would agree that resiting English might be to the detriment of your A levels, which are more important in your application- you'd be best off looking at the GCSE requirements for A100 at different russell group unis, and applying to those that don't put such an emphasis on GCSE English/maths.

These are the GCSE requirements for Lancaster Medical School, in case you decide to consider unis that aren't russell group: Minimum score of 13 points from 8 subjects (A or A* or 7-9 = 2 points; B or 6 = 1 point). The 8 subjects must include Core & Additional Science (or Biology, Chemistry and Physics), Maths and English Language (grade B/6 or above). If Biology or Chemistry is not studied at A-level, then GCSE must be at least grade A/7

Best of luck!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by CAG575
Amazing results, well done. Those grades are definitely good enough for medicine. I would advise against resitting English literature as this will detract from your A levels. Good idea to get a remark in English language but English lit is not key! Get some healthcare related work/ voluntary experience, do something academic ( podcasts, lectures, essay comps) to show your interest beyond the syllabus. Don’t worry about your English literature, honestly. Well done, such good results

Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest