The Student Room Group

Parents want me to study KS2 material from a scam website instead of GCSEs

Hi, I just wanted somebody else's opinion on this.

So my parents have payed £3.5k for this scammish website, they sell it to you as a wonderful educational website with private tutors and all the help and resource you need. Instead the 'tutors' put the phone down on me after 5 mins of ringing, the one time they did pick up they had no idea what they were speaking about. Even though they do have a GCSE option for maths it's outdated (like the visual and clothes seem 20 years old) and seems to be done by Americans (currency in vids). Also to add the website barely runs and super buggy.

I've told this to my parents but they said they paid the money so me and my sister have to use it. Even though my grades are in the 5-7 range I have my own gaps that I need to address and they see I'm stressed but blow up on me whenever I miss out on a day, which takes away concentration, so I find myself ranting on here. Do you think I'm wrong for not wanting to do KS2 english and american 'GSCE' maths.

edit 1 :
My parents said I have to stop revising and do 3 weeks worth of this scammish websites work or he'll take my phone and laptop, thus I won't be able to revise for my exams starting in 23 days. That's fun... as it's likely to take 3-4 hours which means bye-bye to good grades to do further maths lol.
(edited 5 years ago)
Would encourage your parents to try to get their money back. The website frankly sounds useless and that your parents have been taken advantage of, I wouldn't bother using it.
Reply 2
Original post by Jassie03

So my parents have payed £3.5k for this scammish website, they sell it to you as a wonderful educational website with private tutors and all the help and resource you need. Instead the 'tutors' put the phone down on me after 5 mins of ringing, the one time they did pick up they had no idea what they were speaking about. Even though they do have a GCSE option for maths it's outdated (like the visual and clothes seem 20 years old) and seems to be done by Americans (currency in vids). Also to add the website barely runs and super buggy.

I've told this to my parents but they said they paid the money so me and my sister have to use it. Even though my grades are in the 5-7 range I have my own gaps that I need to address and they see I'm stressed but blow up on me whenever I miss out on a day, which takes away concentration, so I find myself ranting on here. Do you think I'm wrong for not wanting to do KS2 english and american 'GSCE' maths.

3.5k!! You could get a decent tutor to see you in person twice a week all year for that money. This sounds crazy to me.

Are you able to share a link to the website? We can check your claim that it’s no good for GCSE.
Reply 3
Original post by Notnek
3.5k!! You could get a decent tutor to see you in person twice a week all year for that money. This sounds crazy to me.

Are you able to share a link to the website? We can check your claim that it’s no good for GCSE.

yeah I know, I've asked for a few hours with a tutor but they said I should call up the 'tutors' from this place.
the website is exemplar education

https://www.exemplar-education.com/

I've seen other people complain about it on review websites as well.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73663538

the way they work is they sent a leaflet home with younger kids (my sister who was in year 6), I'm pretty sure the school gets some commission or something for it but I'm not sure. Then an agent comes to your home, shows you the website and quotes you.
Reply 4
They can't get their money back unless you ask for it within 14 weeks of signing the contract, if you don't pay in full you are forced to take out a loan with them.
Original post by _gcx
Would encourage your parents to try to get their money back. The website frankly sounds useless and that your parents have been taken advantage of, I wouldn't bother using it.
If they've sold your parents something that isn't for GCSE, then they really do need to go back to the company. If it was missold, then they can request their money back. Does the resource state which exam board they link to? I get why they'd want you to use if after spending that much, but others are right, I would charge that for nearly 90 hours of 1-2-1 tuition!

Holly

Tutor | IT Nerd | TeachAllAboutIt :work:
Original post by Jassie03

Reply 6
It was also sold to us with my sister in mind as well, who's younger, my parents force me to do the KS2 english. Some of the maths is in the curriculum however I need to double check and the website is so laggy that I prefer to use other websites such as Hegarty Maths.
Original post by TeachAllAboutIT
If they've sold your parents something that isn't for GCSE, then they really do need to go back to the company. If it was missold, then they can request their money back. Does the resource state which exam board they link to? I get why they'd want you to use if after spending that much, but others are right, I would charge that for nearly 90 hours of 1-2-1 tuition!

Holly

Tutor | IT Nerd | TeachAllAboutIt :work:
Reply 7
Hi @Jassie03,

I'm currently in a similar situation to you, parents payed £3.5k ( just before I entered yr 10) for me to use this outdated website with people that look like they're from the 90's. Like you said the websites super slow and just useless.

Before my parents bought Exemplar Education a.k.a trash,I had a man (more like a con artist) come in and make me take two tests, one maths and one english, they were a page each with about 15 questions each. The questions were just random things like simple ratio, addition or definition of a verb, they were barely enough to give the man insight to my abilities.
Quick bit of info- back then I was just about to start yr 10 (2018) my english and maths grades were A/B or 7/6 as you might call it now.
Anyways, I finished the questions on the two sheets of paper and I left some questions blank that I didn't know. Miraculously, he marks the paper and just from TWO sheets of paper with SIMPLE questions he says the following statement " your child has the maths/english abilities to that of a year 6 he needs immediate help" if that was the case how was I achieving A's and B's in english and maths tests and reports done throughout the year, with teachers saying they were confident in my abilities to achieving even higher grades for the year. I was dumbfounded to say the least, apparently some 50 year old knew me and my academic abilities better than my teachers in school in a matter of minutes and over two 15 question sheets of paper.

My parents god knows why bought the 'exemplar education tuition website' they are now paying £66 a month for a couple of years to pay off this scam of a maths/english website.

To conclude, please stay away from exemplar education its caused me so much unneeded stress and pressure just thinking of the money my parents wasted. The amount of times I've told them how awful it is they just don't accept it. I'm just doing what I can to spread the word about this 'company', it would be appreciated if others would too. Thanks a bunch for listening to me
Reply 8
I totally agree, there are no exam boards on the website and the videos are done in dollars (when money is involved). I've done my GCSEs now but my sister is still forced to do it for now.

He didn't even mark my test lol

My parents asked me in front of the guy (super awkward way to ask) if I wanted to use this website I just nodded (I've never used it and I was put on the spot) but the next day I told them to get their money back but they kept telling me to try it for a bit longer till we went past the 14 day cancellation date. Then they blamed me for wasting their money on a rubbish programme and told me I had to use it anyways.

But for anyone thinking about buying Exemplar Education, DON'T.

Quick Reply

Latest