The Student Room Group

Music Grade 5 theory vs Music GCSE

Hi everyone,
I was wondering whether anyone knew if grade 5 music theory is equivalent to a GCSE in music and what are the differences in content of what you learn? I want to start preparing for grade 5 music theory as I do ABRSM singing and I wondered whether I could use the BBC bitesize music gcse revision because i've heard that apparently they are equivalent to each other. Can someone please confirm whether this is true and if so, which exam board I should follow?
I literally have no knowledge of music theory at all...🥹

It would be much appreciated if anyone could confirm this!
Reply 1
It has been a few years since I took grade 5 music theory but I think the system today is similar. A pass at GCSE (grade 4 or above) is a level 2 qualification. If you achieve grade 3 or below, it is equivalent to a level 1 qualification. A pass at grade 5 music theory will award you credits at level 2 and the amount of credits changes depending whether you get a pass, merit or distinction. Looking at my certificate, a distinction is worth 9 level 2 credits. This is not exactly the same as a GCSE but most institutions would consider this as acceptable for you to study music at A-level without having taken it at GCSE. My college was happy to accept people with either a music GCSE or a pass at grade 5 or above theory and practical.

As for the content, GCSE music contains a wider range of skills than the music theory exam as you study theory alongside learning different styles of music and analysing set pieces, doing a composition and a performance element. However, the theory in the grade 5 exam is more in depth. In my exam, I remember having to learn the definitions of lots of music words (like rallentando, sforzando etc.); time signatures; the notes in the scale (tonic, dominant etc.); different types of chords (augmented 5th, diminished 7th etc.); reading and transposing between treble, bass, tenor and alto clef and lots more. Some of this you might learn from BBC bitesize but I would recommend having a look at some grade 5 theory practice papers to see how much of the content overlaps.

I would say that although the qualification levels are similar, the content is not equivalent enough for you to use that as your sole resource for preparation. See if you can find someone who teaches music theory to help you with some of the more complex things.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Would you by any chance know any youtube channels or any free online materials that you would recommend I try? I have next to zero knowledge in music theory lol
Reply 3
I can't recommend any channels or materials because I didn't use that method when I was studying. However, as a starting point I would recommend downloading the syllabus from the ABRSM website and looking at what material you need to cover. Then find some online resources and see if they are effective by attempting a practice paper to see how confident you arem
Reply 4
Original post by PlsAnsMyQuestion
Hi, thank you for your reply. Would you by any chance know any youtube channels or any free online materials that you would recommend I try? I have next to zero knowledge in music theory lol

Hiya a bit late but I did my grade 5 theory
The abrsm have past papers both online and paper copies to work on
A website by the musician by Victoria Williams is rlly good can't recommend her enough. I think that's her name just search up "Victoria williams music theory"
You can start from the basics there
Reply 5
Original post by PlsAnsMyQuestion
Hi everyone,
I was wondering whether anyone knew if grade 5 music theory is equivalent to a GCSE in music and what are the differences in content of what you learn? I want to start preparing for grade 5 music theory as I do ABRSM singing and I wondered whether I could use the BBC bitesize music gcse revision because i've heard that apparently they are equivalent to each other. Can someone please confirm whether this is true and if so, which exam board I should follow?
I literally have no knowledge of music theory at all...🥹

It would be much appreciated if anyone could confirm this!

Hey! Super late I know but I would definitely recommend doing Grade 5 ABRSM Theory before starting music GCSE. It is not necessary but will for sure get you to a level 8/9. It is useful for composing and listening skills which should be part of the course (depending on the exam board)

Hope this is still helpful :smile:
Hey! I agree with @Maybar, although you can get a good grade in music GCSE without having done grade 5 theory, it was so useful having done it when studying GCSE music and I cannot imagine not having done the theory before doing A level Music!
One piece of advice - learn the circle of fifths as a technique to find the key and key signature of a piece of music. There are other ways to do this, such as having some tricks to find the key or simply learning every key signature but it's really useful to use this technique.
(If you don't know the circle of fifths I can try to explain it if you want).
Original post by Anonymous0305
Hey! I agree with @Maybar, although you can get a good grade in music GCSE without having done grade 5 theory, it was so useful having done it when studying GCSE music and I cannot imagine not having done the theory before doing A level Music!
One piece of advice - learn the circle of fifths as a technique to find the key and key signature of a piece of music. There are other ways to do this, such as having some tricks to find the key or simply learning every key signature but it's really useful to use this technique.
(If you don't know the circle of fifths I can try to explain it if you want).

Ah ok thanks:smile: yes please- could you explain the circle of fifths lol
Ok so basically it looks like this (I hope this comes out right)(the dots are just to keep the letters in place, spaces dont work)
...............C................
# - F...............G........
b - B...............D........
.............E...A..............

This circle, in case you forget it, is just a circle of fifths so every letter is a fifth away from the last with C at the top, and A at the bottom.

The way to find what key or what the key signature is, you must count to the key you want to get to. Let me explain:
If you count away from the letter C in a clockwise direction you get the major key using sharps key signature, however if you count away from C anticlockwise you get the major flat keys.
So if you count to D, there would be 2 sharps in the key signature of D major, as it is two away from C going clockwise.

The sharps in question are the sharps beginning at F continuing round the circle clockwise. So for D major, F# and C#, since they are the first two sharps, and we know there are two sharps since D is two spots away from C (clockwise).
The flats start at B, going anticlockwise, so Bb, Eb, Ab etc.

If you want the minor key, you follow the similar pattern of counting, but instead of counting away from C you count away from A. The direction of flats or sharps key is the same. so counting away from "A" clockwise is minor sharp keys and anticlockwise is minor flats keys. The sharps and flats also start at the same place (B=b, F=#)

If, for example, you want to find the key signature for G major, count to G from C. If you go clockwise, there is one, showing there is one sharp (F#) in the key signature of G.
If you go anticlockwise, however, G is 6 away from C, showing there are 6 flats (Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb and Cb). Notice how one flat was G? Therefore, this is not the key signature of G major, but instead of Gb major.

It's the same for minor. If you choose to find the key signature of, for example, F minor, count clockwise from A. You have 3 sharps (F#, C# and G#), and this is F# minor because one of the sharps in the key signature is F. If you count anticlockwise, you get 4 flats (Bb, Eb, Ab, Db) and therefore the key signature of F minor is this.

It works the same if you are trying to find the key from the key signature you have. If you have a key signature of 3 flats, you are either in Eb major or C minor. Its up to you to figure out if it's major or minor then you pick the appropriate one.

So sorry this was such a long explanation, I hope it makes sense? If not, don't worry, it may take a while to click. If I could make anything clearer, please let me know.

Oh, and the minor key signatures don't account for the raised 7th, that should be added as an accidental if it's not already in the key sig.

KEY RULES:

If counting away from C, the key is major.
If counting away from A, the key is minor.

If counting clockwise (from C or A), use sharps.
If counting anticlockwise, use flats.

Sharps start at F, continue counting round clockwise.
Flats start at B, continue counting round anticlockwise.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest