The Student Room Group
Affray for killing someone?!

Probably because they were female defendants.
Original post by Decahedron
Affray for killing someone?!

Probably because they were female defendants.

What does affray mean in this context?
Original post by Lannister043
What does affray mean in this context?

Affray is a violent public order offence, it carried a maximum sentence of 6 months at Magistrates and 3 years at Crown.

Hardly fitting for an attack that killed someone.
Affray is a violent public order offence, it carried a maximum sentence of 6 months at Magistrates and 3 years at Crown.

Hardly fitting for an attack that killed someone.

What on earth...

How were they realistically given an affray charge? They attacked someone and that person then died. Surely then it'd be manslaughter at the very minimum?
Original post by Lannister043
What on earth...

How were they realistically given an affray charge? They attacked someone and that person then died. Surely then it'd be manslaughter at the very minimum?

Probably because the CPS famously don't like to apply proper charges to women.
Probably because the CPS famously don't like to apply proper charges to women.

Bingo
Absolute scandal, they didn't even let the family know of the court date?!

"We are very disappointed with the charges pressed against the defendants. It was not and is not what we expected. It’s unfair and unjust to charge those whom killed or, at least by their actions, led to [Mariam’s] death with such minor offences."

"It is very weak. It is not fair at all. From the first day I was very upset about the charge. Affray it’s nothing."

AMEN, the father is rightly disgusted. Lets be honest know if a group of 6 guys had assaulted a girl in broad daylight leading to her going into a coma and dying, they'd be done with murder. At the VERY LEAST that has to be manslaughter, which I don't see how it can be, since they were very much malicious, but at least it would have had a longer sentence potentially. The perpetrators names all seem to be white British, not followed the case was this suspected to be a racist assault? You'd have thought the CPS would be jumping to slap a hate crime on it, which it could have been...

Honestly this sort of thing along with the brexit shambles...our country comes off as so weak, total soft touch, at the moment.

For those in the legal area, when they say the case hasn't met the evidential stage for anything beyond Affray, what does that actually mean? Affray is classed as physically fighting in a public place, so six girls have all admitted they attacked her to some degree, and she ends up in a coma and dies. Reading a few articles it says she was attacked on a bus and it was a full on beating, hitting, kicking etc by the group. I was under the impression of I say punched a guy once outside a club, he falls over and cracks his head on the pavement, and ultimately dies from a brain injury, that can be manslaughter? I went to hit once, I didn't foresee it would kill, but it has. Where as here from other articles it sounds like they punched, kicked her on the ground possibly pursued her etc. Which I'd have thought would be worse than manslaughter, but is coming across as less severe? As she had the stroke around 12 hrs later I guess the CPS wasn't able to link the two or something?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending