The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Redoing A levels

1)If I choose to redo my A levels in my gap year, would the university still consider me into a course or does the university look into the first A level results?

2) And I have current withdrawn my UCAS application, but if I were to get reasonable grades in my A levels, could I apply differently or call the university? This is for the next academic year 2019/2020
Reply 1
Thank you for the reply

I currently have no UCAS account as I have withdrawn my application, so i dont know what other way I could go through clearing.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Hey,

So I'm currently on a gap year, re-doing my A Levels (Bio, Chem & Maths) so I have some experience in this department lol.

For your first question, it really depends on what course you're applying to but I think most courses accept resits. Unless of course you're applying for Medicine, in which case the majority of UK Medical Schools don't accept A Level resits (some don't even allow AS resits and want your A Levels to be completed within two years) unless you have extenuating circumstances.

Also, as long as your predicted grades are listed on your UCAS (and listed as 'pending'), universities should consider your new predicted grades. When I sent off my UCAS application, I forgot to list my predicted grades on UCAS so the only grades my universities would have seen were those I achieved last year. Luckily for me, I realised my mistake a few days after I sent it off and so emailed all my universities (as well as got my UCAS reference, who was my old teacher, to email those universities as well) with my predicted grades. There's a special UCAS form you fill out exactly for situations like that, so don't worry.

To enter university, for 2019 entry, I believe you may have to go through clearing but I might be wrong.
Reply 3
Yes I am currently in my last year of college so my A levels are like next week. My college didnt do much, they’ve said that since I have withdrawn then I should just apply next year. So I dont know if I should make a new account or wait til next year
Reply 4
Original post by TemiF
Hey,

So I'm currently on a gap year, re-doing my A Levels (Bio, Chem & Maths) so I have some experience in this department lol.

For your first question, it really depends on what course you're applying to but I think most courses accept resits. Unless of course you're applying for Medicine, in which case the majority of UK Medical Schools don't accept A Level resits (some don't even allow AS resits and want your A Levels to be completed within two years) unless you have extenuating circumstances.

Also, as long as your predicted grades are listed on your UCAS (and listed as 'pending'), universities should consider your new predicted grades. When I sent off my UCAS application, I forgot to list my predicted grades on UCAS so the only grades my universities would have seen were those I achieved last year. Luckily for me, I realised my mistake a few days after I sent it off and so emailed all my universities (as well as got my UCAS reference, who was my old teacher, to email those universities as well) with my predicted grades. There's a special UCAS form you fill out exactly for situations like that, so don't worry.

To enter university, for 2019 entry, I believe you may have to go through clearing but I might be wrong.

Thank you for the reply,
I am currently doing A level maths, bio and chem too and I dont think I might get the expected grades this year. However I dont want to go down the scientific route and instead want to do International business studies which requires AAB, so I don’t really want to redo my a levels in different subjects but instead get higher grades in the ones that I did.
Reply 5
Attachment not found

This is what my current application form looks like, and theres no extra or adjustment button.
Reply 6
Thank you for the help, I shall try my best for these exams and hope that I get alright grades.
Reply 7
Yeah, that's my same exact scenario- I'm re-doing Bio, Chem & Maths (the only A Levels I've ever done) in order to get higher grades in all of them.

I'm not sure exactly what policy your course has with regards to resit, but from my own knowledge the only course that seems uptight and nitpicky with resits is Medicine, so I think you should be fine.

I'd recommend looking at and calling the universities you would be interested in applying to and looking into whether they accept resits or not. If they do, find out if they have specific requirements for resisting e.g. do they want you to have extenuating circumstances etc etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending