The Student Room Group

am i screwed with my english requirments for medicine?

i am planning on studying in the uk soon and I am a bit worried about my english language grade. I got a grade 5 in the IGCSE FIRST LANGUAGE ENGLISH subject with a distinction in the optional speaking exam. i remarked the exam cuz i really felt something has gone wrong, and looking at all the mock exams I have done for english ranging from 7-9 i was expecting at the lowest a 7/A, yeah it increased by a significant 6 marks but i was 2 marks away from the 6/B so unfortunately it stayed the same.

now the rest of my IGCSE exams and A Levels are excellent and are above what most med unis require but the english grade is making me think ill get an instant reject.

now since im applying as an international student, does doing the IELTS exam be an alternative to an English proficiency test other than my IGCSE grade?

thanks for reading
Reply 1
I hv the same problem, I got a 6 will that hv an effect on my college applications>?did u figure it out ? shouldi maybe redo it, they they agree with redos ?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Jamalisanonion
i am planning on studying in the uk soon and I am a bit worried about my english language grade. I got a grade 5 in the IGCSE FIRST LANGUAGE ENGLISH subject with a distinction in the optional speaking exam. i remarked the exam cuz i really felt something has gone wrong, and looking at all the mock exams I have done for english ranging from 7-9 i was expecting at the lowest a 7/A, yeah it increased by a significant 6 marks but i was 2 marks away from the 6/B so unfortunately it stayed the same.

now the rest of my IGCSE exams and A Levels are excellent and are above what most med unis require but the english grade is making me think ill get an instant reject.

now since im applying as an international student, does doing the IELTS exam be an alternative to an English proficiency test other than my IGCSE grade?

thanks for reading

This is up to each individual uni. For most courses I suspect unis would just ask you to take an IELTS or you their test, but for
Med they may be strict. Ultimately you need to approach each uni to ask, (making it clear that you’re an international student).

Original post by Hiru123
I hv the same problem, I got a 6 will that hv an effect on my college applications>?did u figure it out ? shouldi maybe redo it, they they agree with redos ?

As above, as an international student you may be given the option to take an English test. It’s best to check with unis that you are considering.
I have checked with some unis, yeah you are in the clear with English Language requirement but again, check with the unis for additional info, i will have to retake mine next may/june 2024.

Quick Reply

Latest