The Student Room Group

Iran Shoots Down RQ-4 BAMS-D $150m Drone near Persian Gulf

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Can you please explain what is meant by constant attacks from israel?
and why iran is at risk from israel?
i am really confused by the whole situation to be honest
Meh, flying a US drone ANYWHERE near Iran is basically extreme provocation right now, total lack of surprise it was supposedly blasted.
Original post by Palmyra
Well we already know that you see things through star-spangled-banner tinted glasses!

Why were the transponders turned off when this $150m beast was flying so close to Iranian airspace (even by the US's own admission)? :smile:

serious note : European powers will have to reinstate sanctions if they continue production, Iran should not be allowed to develop nuclear weapons under any circumstances
(edited 4 years ago)
This is not the best thread to ask such questions because you are asking questions that will beget political answers.
Original post by mmonk
Can you please explain what is meant by constant attacks from israel?
and why iran is at risk from israel?
i am really confused by the whole situation to be honest
Original post by Palmyra
Well we already know that you see things through star-spangled-banner tinted glasses!

Why were the transponders turned off when this $150m beast was flying so close to Iranian airspace (even by the US's own admission)? :smile:

And it you're a moron who believes anything the Syrian regime and Iran says is gospel. It's actually rather amusing seeing how wrong you are. Keep it up old chap.

Transponders are necessary to deconflict with civilian air traffic and military aircraft can operate without them. If the RQ-4 was flying well above any airliners the then it wouldn't need it on. A transponder broadcasting makes it easier for the aircraft to be targeted. That said, I haven't actually read anywhere that the transponder was off.

From what the BBC report says, the USN are enroute and to pick up the debris from international waters; Iran could be in a pickle if the US gets the debris and they get none as it'll confirm that the aircraft wasn't over their land territory as they're claimed, depending on winds and debris patterns caused by the shoot down anyway.
Original post by StriderHort
Meh, flying a US drone ANYWHERE near Iran is basically extreme provocation right now, total lack of surprise it was supposedly blasted.

By the US's own admission the $200m drone was <10km from Iran's airspace.

The drone had its transponders turned off, which is very dangerous and breaches norms of flying in international airspace. This suggests it had a covert military function and thus it was perfectly justified for Iran to eliminate the threat.
Original post by Palmyra
Do they turn their transponders off and come within 5 nautical miles of UK airspace (by their own admission, Iran clearly stated the RQ-4 had violated Iranian airspace, which wouldn't be the first time a US drone had done so)?

Yes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31049952
Original post by Tempest II
Transponders are necessary to deconflict with civilian air traffic and military aircraft can operate without them. If the RQ-4 was flying well above any airliners the then it wouldn't need it on. A transponder broadcasting makes it easier for the aircraft to be targeted. That said, I haven't actually read anywhere that the transponder was off.

From what the BBC report says, the USN are enroute and to pick up the debris from international waters; Iran could be in a pickle if the US gets the debris and they get none as it'll confirm that the aircraft wasn't over their land territory as they're claimed, depending on winds and debris patterns caused by the shoot down anyway.

If it was actually operating at such high altitudes then that's even more embarrassing for the US that it was shot down by Iran! Iran stated the transponders were not activated and the US did not refute it - so no reason to believe otherwise.

Wouldn't prove anything if the wreckage landed in international waters because of winds and other factors that commonly spread debris far from the impact location, but Iran beat the US to the unexploded mine a few days ago so let's see if Iran can win this race too.
Original post by Palmyra
The drone had its transponders turned off, which is very dangerous
No it isn't
and breaches norms of flying in international airspace
No it doesn't
This suggests it had a covert military function and thus it was perfectly justified for Iran to eliminate the threat.
No it wasn't

Bold

Source: I'm ex-RAF.
(edited 4 years ago)
You want to be safe to fly in 'international airspace' then act like you are flying in international airspace. If not, risk getting your $250m drone shot out of the sky. US made decision, hopefully it learns from this mistake (not likely given the continuous pattern of US aggression and violation of airspace via drones from the ScanEagle to the RQ-170 to now the RQ-4).
Original post by Drewski
Bold
Reply 30
i dont mind political answers
Original post by Palmyra
This is not the best thread to ask such questions because you are asking questions that will beget political answers.
I do - this thread is not to discuss such political issues which only lead to a flame war and de-railing. You can PM me if you have any questions or start your own thread with those questions for more range of opinions. Thanks.
Original post by mmonk
i dont mind political answers
Reply 32
OK, Sure was just hoping someone would be able to provide some factual evidence supporting the claims made in that post,
i guess this is too big of a request for some tsr members?

Original post by Palmyra
I do - this thread is not to discuss such political issues which only lead to a flame war and de-railing. You can PM me if you have any questions or start your own thread with those questions for more range of opinions. Thanks.
The US trying to provoke another country into conflict. They would never do such a thing.

*thinks back to all the wars America has had since 1945*
ah

That says 25 miles. If it's talking about nautical miles that's almost 50km. If not, that's 40km. Not quite the same as 5km (which, again, is what the US claimed, Iran disputes this). Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to verify how close exactly the drone got to Iranian airspace so all we have to rely on are US and Iranian sources.

The US, which famously said it didn't lose a RQ-170 drone... Until Iran showed it to the world then the US begged for Iran to return it. Even when this incident was first reported by Iranian news the US refuted it for 7 hours until they finally admitted that Iran had shot down a US RQ-4 BAMS-D. Healthy dose of scepticism seems warranted.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
That says 25 miles. If it's talking about nautical miles that's almost 50km. If not, that's 40km. Not quite the same as 5km (which, again, is what the US claimed, Iran disputes this). Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to verify how close exactly the drone got to Iranian airspace so all we have to rely on are US and Iranian sources.

The US, which famously said it didn't lose a RQ-170 drone... Until Iran showed it to the world then the US begged for Iran to return it. Even when this incident was first reported by Iranian news the US refuted it for 7 hours until they finally admitted that Iran had shot down a US RQ-4 BAMS-D. Healthy dose of scepticism seems warranted.

Given that modern commercial GPS can get a fix accurate to less than a metre, 5km is still at ****ing long way.

Neither side in this can be trusted fully. Stop acting like one is gospel.
Original post by Drewski
Given that modern commercial GPS can get a fix accurate to less than a metre, 5km is still at ****ing long way.

Neither side in this can be trusted fully. Stop acting like one is gospel.

GPS can also be spoofed, as the US discovered with the RQ-170. Iran also revealed it had hacked into the US's drone command centre in Iraq a few years ago and (possibly) took control of some US drones:

But I agree that we should be sceptical of the claims of both sides.
Totally expected and only fair if USA entered Iran's airspace illegally. The USA would do exactly the same to any unauthorised drone entering its air territory.
nobody in here has claimed it is a false flag attack yet :flute:
Iran has pledged to prove that the US is lying when it claims the RQ-4 drone was flying in international airspace when it was shot down by Iran:

Screenshot 2019-06-20 at 18.04.32.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending