The Student Room Group

Exocytosis-very simple and quick question

When a sachharide ( for example ) needs to be excreted outside, does it move to the golgi body so that it can be packaged and then move to the plasma membrane ?

Is that what happens whenever a molecule is to be transported across a cell ?

And when does exocytosis occur ? I mean, why doesn't that saccharide just leave through facilitated diffusion ? Or does it ?
Often times some molecules are too small to fit through the membrane by diffusion or active transport hence the need of endo and exocytosis.

I think if a substance is being transported from outside it wouldnt need to move to the golgi body as i dont think it would need to be modified. When endocytosis occurs the inner membrane of the cell surrounds the material and packages it anyway. When exocytosis occurs the part of the membrane that packages the material re-joins with the plasma membrane allowing the material to be released.
Original post by Lani_5678
Often times some molecules are too small to fit through the membrane by diffusion or active transport hence the need of endo and exocytosis.

I think if a substance is being transported from outside it wouldnt need to move to the golgi body as i dont think it would need to be modified. When endocytosis occurs the inner membrane of the cell surrounds the material and packages it anyway. When exocytosis occurs the part of the membrane that packages the material re-joins with the plasma membrane allowing the material to be released.

I just realised i made a small error i meant to say too big to pass through the membrane through diffusion not too small haha :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lani_5678

Right but don't substances have to be packaged so that they can leave by exocytosis ?
Attachment not found

They already are. the type of packaging you refer to is what takes place after transcription and translation of DNA and RNA but in this case the golgi apparatus isnt needed as its the plasma membrane which surrounds the material making a vesicle in which the material is stored in. Making it easier for exocytosis where all the vesicle and the outer membrane have to do is fuse with the plasma membrane once again
Original post by Leah.J
When a sachharide ( for example ) needs to be excreted outside, does it move to the golgi body so that it can be packaged and then move to the plasma membrane ?

Is that what happens whenever a molecule is to be transported across a cell ?

And when does exocytosis occur ? I mean, why doesn't that saccharide just leave through facilitated diffusion ? Or does it ?

Just out of interest, are you a homeschooled student, or someone who is studying A levels independently?
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Just out of interest, are you a homeschooled student, or someone who is studying A levels independently?

hehe
You'd be surprised to know I finished my alevels this year and I got A*s in all chem bio math and an A in AS physics.
I even got a pearson award for being a high achiever hahah

I'm currently on a gap year and trying to answer all the questions I never got answered while doing my a levels.
P.s, Permutations and Combinations wasn't included in S1 so I'm studying that on my own now.
Original post by Leah.J
hehe
You'd be surprised to know I finished my alevels this year and I got A*s in all chem bio math and an A in AS physics.
I even got a pearson award for being a high achiever hahah

I'm currently on a gap year and trying to answer all the questions I never got answered while doing my a levels.
P.s, Permutations and Combinations wasn't included in S1 so I'm studying that on my own now.

I'm so pleased to hear this, Leah. I've helped you a bit in SH, and I know how much of a diligent and hard-working student you are. That you got A*A*A*a is a fabulous achievement. Well done!

What university are you going to, and what degree are you reading?
Reply 8
I'm so pleased to hear this, Leah. I've helped you a bit in SH, and I know how much of a diligent and hard-working student you are. That you got A*A*A*a is a fabulous achievement. Well done!

What university are you going to, and what degree are you reading?

Thank you! Yes, I do recognize you, and I'm very appreciative of all the times you answered my questions, no matter how dumb :colondollar:

I applied to Cambridge for medicine but I'm still waiting to hear back from them, should be soon.
Original post by Leah.J
Thank you! Yes, I do recognize you, and I'm very appreciative of all the times you answered my questions, no matter how dumb :colondollar:

I applied to Cambridge for medicine but I'm still waiting to hear back from them, should be soon.

I have everything crossed for you. Keep me posted, won't you?

And your questions were never dumb. They were well-thought out, considered, and clearly showed that you'd thought more deeply about the material and wanted to put it all together to make a coherent whole. This is unusual!
Reply 10
I have everything crossed for you. Keep me posted, won't you?

And your questions were never dumb. They were well-thought out, considered, and clearly showed that you'd thought more deeply about the material and wanted to put it all together to make a coherent whole. This is unusual!

Oh wow, thank you!!
I sure will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending